Author Topic: I call BS on the "myth" that great pizza dough can only be made with NYC water  (Read 1868 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TXCraig1

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 13316
  • Location: Houston, TX
It funny how many people will complain at the price of gasoline then go spend 3X as much on plain water.
Pizza is not bread.


Offline Aimless Ryan

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 1926
  • Location: Grove City (Columbus), Ohio
    • Snarky
That is probably because Voss is Norwegian tap water ;)

White Plains gets it water from the original NYC reservoir system that now provides only about 10% of the water to the city (the other 90% of NYCs water supply comes form the Catskill mountains). The problem is that the federal government here has mandated protection against cryptosporidium since this is unfiltered surface water. Now that it must be treated, NYC uses UV light, while White Plains uses chlorine, and it requires quite a lot of it.

So if you want the best NY style pizza available, you can now mostly only get it in White Plains, and you stand almost no chance of getting it in NYC? (Playing devil's advocate here.)

Offline TXCraig1

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 13316
  • Location: Houston, TX
One thing is certain about NYC water - people love to talk about it.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

  • Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • *
  • Posts: 22672
  • Location: Lancaster County, Pa.
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
I had two older Italian men that came to my stand today.  Both were born in Naples and grew up there.  They live somewhere in our area now.  Both of the men had tasted my pizzas before, and came back today to ask a few questions and purchased two slices.  They wanted the slices from a fresh pie so they waited until I made one.  While I was making the pizza the one man told me the best pizza ever is from Naples.  I thought to myself I don't know how true that was, but asked why he thought the best pizzas come from Naples.  He said because the water there makes the best pizza and also the San Marzano tomatoes.  :-D  I didn't want to get into any argument or say one thing or another about the water thing.  I asked if the men meant the best Neapolitan pies were baked in a wood-fired oven in Naples.  The one man said yes.  All I said was I had the best Neapolitan pizza I have even eaten in Texas. 

I also let them taste the cheese I use because they said they like the cheese on my pizzas.  Both of the men said that was the best mozzarella they have ever tasted.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ourback

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 14
  • Location: CT/FL
  • I Love Pizza!
So if you want the best NY style pizza available, you can now mostly only get it in White Plains, and you stand almost no chance of getting it in NYC? (Playing devil's advocate here.)

No, but if you're eating at a restaurant in NYC and you don't want to look like a schmo, don't order bottled water...

One thing is certain about NYC water - people love to talk about it.  :-D

I'm new here but I've already gleaned that if you can't talk about NP, your next favorite topic is testicles... I can certainly imagine NYC water being at best a distant 3rd ;D

Online kdefay

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 214
  • Location: Thailand
I get my water delivered weekly by the bottled water truck.  This is how most places in Thailand do it.  Very few bother putting in direct filtration systems.  When I have New Yorkers in the shop from time to time, they are always impressed that a pizza in the part of the world can be just as good as what they get back home.  I always knew the NY water story was myth, but it sure is an effective marketing tool. 
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!


 

pizzapan