Author Topic: quality pizza stones  (Read 829 times)

Offline Tory

quality pizza stones
« on: June 10, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
Hello, all,

I have an "Old Stone Pizza" stone I've been using for a while. I keep the stone on an oven rack positioned on the second shelf down from the top (about 4 inches below the broiler coils). I preheat the oven (and stone) for a minimum of 90 minutes at 550 F, and then maybe another ten minutes I turn the broiler on to heat the top surface of the stone.

In spite of all this, I never seem to be able to get a 'crispy' crust when I cook the pizza. The pizzas always seem soft and bread-like rather than crisp (as I'm told it should be).

When I make the dough, I doubt if there's more than 60% hydration in it. So I don't think it's a matter of the dough being too wet. And I don't use a huge amount of sauce. Maybe a couple large spoonfuls at the most.
Nor do I use any excessive amount of cheese or toppings.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same problem with the "Old Stone" brand of pizza stones?  Are there any other brands of pizza stones that are better at conducting / transferring heat ?

Thanks,

-Tory
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:41:00 AM by Tory »

Offline terryfisher09

• I Love Pizza!
Re: quality pizza stones
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »
are you measuring the stone temp before you throw the pizza in?  you should be able to read 590 F at least for a pizza to cook .

Offline Tory

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
Hello, Terry,

I don't have an IR gun or anything like that. Because the stone has been in the oven preheating at 550 for at least 90 minutes, and another 10-15 minutes with the broiler heating the cooking surface,
I always assumed it was ready to use by that point.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:03:19 AM »
Tory:

Based on what you are reporting, there should be a crispiness to the outer part of the crust.  I use a pizza stone that is rectangular and probably similar to your Old Stone Pizza stone (not sure what brand it is because it is so old).  I don't even heat the stone as long as you do and I get fine pizzas from it.

The only thing I can think to look for with the oven or your cooking procedure at this point is put a separate oven thermometer in the oven and check to make sure your oven is heating to the temperatures it says it is.  The other option is more expensive: get an IR gun.

I think the other plan of attack is to report your dough making process from start to finish, including all ingredients and amounts, type of flour, etc. and let's see if we can find something there.  Also, pictures say a 1000 words and would help if you can take some of your pizza before and after baking.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
I have two Old Stone Oven stones, which I've been using for years, and I consider them quality stones.

As someone who never used an IR thermometer until early this year, I think you should get an IR thermometer. My thermometer has told me so much that I could never have known before. For example, the oven that was here when I moved in, in January, wouldn't heat the stone any hotter than 520 when set at the max temperature (500, calibrated +30 or +35). My new oven, set at 550 (+35) can get the stone up to 625 if it's on the bottom rack, or at least 750 if I set it on the oven floor. Also, I bake pizza on/in the grill somewhat regularly, which can be very difficult to do right even when you know the stone temp.

After "inheriting" my thermometer, I found very quickly that it's good to know the temperature of your stone. Plus the laser makes a great cat toy.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »
Also, something Mad_Ernie said reminded me of this: My stone heats up almost as fast as the oven heats up. At least it does on the top of the stone, which I have to assume means the interior of the stone is pretty hot as well (since all or most of the heat in my oven comes from the bottom).

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 12:08:16 AM »
Could it be a problem with your dough?  Not enough hydration perhaps?  Have you measured it exactly? 

Offline weeniewawa

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »
I have an Old Stone and keep it on the lower rack as far down to the bottom as possible in an electric oven and have no problems getting a crispy crust