Author Topic: Pizzeria Uno vs Lou Malnati's  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Cricket

• I Love Pizza!
Pizzeria Uno vs Lou Malnati's
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:09:18 PM »
Well, I just got back from my annual 2 day trip to Chicago and while I was there I thought I would do a comparison between Uno's (Wabash and Ohio location) and Lou's (North Wells St).  I ate at Uno's for lunch and Lou's for dinner on the same day.  I ordered a small sausage and pepperoni pizza at both locations and took the left overs home for further comparison. 

I have eaten at that same Uno's a good dozen or more times since 1989 but only a few times at Lou's.  I have also ordered Lou's frozen pizzas via FedEx and find them just about as good as what the restaurant serves.

The results:  Uno's won hands down!  The crust was more "biscuit like" and flaky and had a bit more flavor.  Seems to be a very short knead time.  The sausage and pepperoni were also more flavorful.  The sauce was not so much of a sauce as it was finely chopped/crushed tomatoes and I really liked the seasoning on it.  It may be true that their pizza has changed over the years but it is still very good despite the negative reviews I keep hearing.

Lou's was also very good but to be honest I think they may have been having a bad night.  The sausage tasted almost more like a good bratwurst than Italian style sausage.  The sauce was missing that "wine like" flavor that I really enjoy. The crust was a little bit more bread like (but still very good).

At home I heated up both pizzas in the oven and ate them side by side.  The results were still the same. 

All in all I was surprised by my findings.  I thought I would actually prefer Lou's.  Again both pizzas were good but Uno's won my palette.  Your results may vary...

NOTE:  I notice that a lot of people here really pile on the ingredients on their pizzas but both Lou's and Uno's are far more reserve.  They use a lot less cheese and sauce than what I read on the forums.  I find when I make chicago style pizzas I get more flavor using less too.  They also seem to use pans that are 2 inches high but the crust is a good half inch lower than that.

-Cricket

Offline buzz

Re: Pizzeria Uno vs Lou Malnati's
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 09:57:10 AM »
I wouldn't go to either of them! Lol!

Offline djryan1194

Re: Pizzeria Uno vs Lou Malnati's
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »
Yeah, I was always a big Lou's fan myself.  Growing up, that's all we ate.  We lived in the short north suburbs, so it was just easier to eat at Lou's.  I went back to Chicago myself in February.  Ate at the Uno's downtown, and Lou's in Buffalo Grove.  The Lou's pizza SUCKED.  Uno's was amazing.  I lost site over the years of how good Uno's was, and didn't realize how much Lou's quality had deteriorated.