Author Topic: Another 5 fold adventure  (Read 775 times)

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Another 5 fold adventure
« on: June 14, 2014, 12:08:32 AM »
In this exercise I am going to try to incorporate a 24 hour room temperature fermentation into my dough process...before I scale, ball, and refrigerate for later use at my convenience.  I'm also going to continue my dough mixing procedure as it hasn't failed my yet.

The recipe is as follows:
Total Formula:
Flour (100%):
Water (62%):
Salt (3%):
Total (165%):
Single Ball:

Preferment:
Flour:
Water:
Total:

Final Dough:
Flour:
Water:
Salt:
Preferment:
Total:

694.15 g  |  24.48 oz | 1.53 lbs
430.37 g  |  15.18 oz | 0.95 lbs
20.82 g | 0.73 oz | 0.05 lbs | 3.73 tsp | 1.24 tbsp
1145.34 g | 40.4 oz | 2.53 lbs | TF = N/A
286.33 g | 10.1 oz | 0.63 lbs

17.35 g | 0.61 oz | 0.04 lbs
17.35 g | 0.61 oz | 0.04 lbs
34.71 g | 1.22 oz | 0.08 lbs

676.79 g | 23.87 oz | 1.49 lbs
413.02 g | 14.57 oz | 0.91 lbs
20.82 g | 0.73 oz | 0.05 lbs | 3.73 tsp | 1.24 tbsp
34.71 g | 1.22 oz | 0.08 lbs
1145.34 g | 40.4 oz | 2.53 lbs  | TF = N/A

I'm using All Trumps flour, cold tap water, and my Ischia.  I pour all my ingredients into the bowl of my kitchenaid, and mix with the paddle for 1 minute.  The dough rests 5 minutes.  I then use the paddle again for one minute, this time at about speed 3.  I place the dough in my plastic container and arrange it using a stretch and fold.  I then follow with 4 more folds in 15 minute increments.  After the last fold, the dough is left to sit for 24 hours untouched.  After 24 hours, its is scaled, balled and refrigerated so I can use it at my convenience.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
Re: Another 5 fold adventure
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 12:14:37 AM »
Here is dough 1....bulk fermented 24 hour room temperature, and then refrigerated for 32 hours.  It was taken out 6 hours prior to bake and was baked in a 540 degree deck oven.  Excellent pizza!!
John

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 12:19:29 AM »
How much yeast - long fermentation period - looks great
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
John,

Your pizza and crumb look delicious!  :pizza: I am curious why you used such a high salt value.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:13:16 AM »
John,

Your pizza and crumb look delicious!  :pizza: I am curious why you used such a high salt value.

Norma

I was reading up on Craig's neapolitan process, and thought that since I was going to make a dough with 3 ingredients, I would follow his lead to see what would happen....it was a good choice.

How much yeast - long fermentation period - looks great

NO yeast, 5% sourdough culture by weight of flour

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 02:18:05 AM »
Here is dough number 2......24 hour room fermentation, refrigerated 68 hours.  Taken out 5 hours prior to bake.  This is again baked in a 540 degree deck oven, it is more crisp than the first one, and it is more tender.... it is out of this world......

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
Good looking pies, John ... for a refrigerated dough  ;)
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 01:29:59 AM »
Good looking pies, John ... for a refrigerated dough  ;)
OK Craig,
But I got to tell you, refrigeration adds qualities otherwise unattainable by other methods....now whether one likes those qualities or not is another story.
John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 01:32:52 AM »
Here's the last dough of this series.  24 hour room temp, 92 hour refrigeration, baked in  540 degree oven.  Crisp, tender, delicious!!

John

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 08:51:00 AM »
Fazz, those pizzas look fantastic. Just about ideal, especially underneath.  Thanks for posting those. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
Fazz, those pizzas look fantastic. Just about ideal, especially underneath.  Thanks for posting those.

^^^   :drool:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 11:03:37 AM »
OK Craig,
But I got to tell you, refrigeration adds qualities otherwise unattainable by other methods....now whether one likes those qualities or not is another story.
John

Hi John:

Is it possible for you to describe what those qualities may be?   In reading his many excellent posts, I have been forewarned by Craig about some negatives but, aside from ease in scheduling, I am unclear about what else there may be on the positive side.

Thanks
Mitch

PS Beautiful pies!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
Hi John:

Is it possible for you to describe what those qualities may be?   In reading his many excellent posts, I have been forewarned by Craig about some negatives but, aside from ease in scheduling, I am unclear about what else there may be on the positive side.

Thanks
Mitch

PS Beautiful pies!

Ease of scheduling is number 1.  Refrigeration also creates a crisp crust.......I mean actually crispy where you can hear the crunch with your teeth and in between your ears as you chew.  The amount of crispiness varies, but it surely isn't a foldable crust.  You also find, that the crust just gets more tender with time losing a little of the chewiness.  Another thing I have found in this exercise, is that I can take my dough out of the fridge to warm up for almost as long as I want, as the dough tends not to rise quickly in its container...nonetheless each dough opens up very easily.

But, in my mind, for anyone who cares to listen...the real story is the mix method, as it takes absolutely no thought or judgement.  When I teach newbies how to make pizza at home, I now go to the stretch and fold method...it just can't be much easier.
John

Offline DannyG

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
John,
How does this version compare to the previous one which was refrigerated right away? Do you have a preference?

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
But, in my mind, for anyone who cares to listen...the real story is the mix method, as it takes absolutely no thought or judgement.  When I teach newbies how to make pizza at home, I now go to the stretch and fold method...it just can't be much easier.

Do you think you can get away with hand mixing instead of the machine mixing at the outset?

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
Do you think you can get away with hand mixing instead of the machine mixing at the outset?

Of course you can!!  Just mix it the old fashioned way before there were mixers.
John,
How does this version compare to the previous one which was refrigerated right away? Do you have a preference?

First of all, remember that I'm trying to create a dough to be used in my home oven or my deck at work.  If I were going to make a dough for a 2 stone, or  WFO I might use a completely different process.
This experiment was interesting to me because I wanted to combine two procedures into one.....that is I wanted to know if I could develop the flavor using a long room temperature rise, and then refrigerate to make it handy to use.  So, I used a lot less culture in this exercise, than I do in my other version where I'm using a larger percentage to use as flavor.  As far as quality of product, I'd say its almost a draw.  For simplicity, immediate refrigeration is the better way...fewer steps to final product.

john

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »
Hi John:

Thanks
Mitch

PS Beautiful pies!

Last night I was putting some doughs in the fridge and realized and still had one more dough from this exercise hiding in the back.  This is another huge positive quality for refrigerating dough.  The following dough was room fermented 24 hours, refrigerated 176 hours, and was warmed up for 5 hours prior to bake.  You can see there is very little action in my dough container, even after 5 hours at room temperature...but the crust was excellent, not as crispy as younger doughs, but strong enough to stand on its own...also had great color and flavor.

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »
Very cool crust coloration.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline brianw

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
I like the fact that you are refrigerating for a long period with good results. My thought is was what would happen with a shorter warm up? Say, 1 to 2 hours. It would make it a ready to use dough. You could come home from work pull the dough and have ready by the time everyhing else is prepped.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
I like the fact that you are refrigerating for a long period with good results. My thought is was what would happen with a shorter warm up? Say, 1 to 2 hours. It would make it a ready to use dough. You could come home from work pull the dough and have ready by the time everyhing else is prepped.

I do this all the time with yeasted dough... especially at the 3 or 4 day mark...
John

pizzapan