Author Topic: Solania Tomatos anyone?  (Read 7802 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Solania Tomatos anyone?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
There may have been something wrong with your can, but I definitely remember the first time I tried san marzanos because of a similar feeling.  There is something about their flavor that does seem metallic when compared to the typical california tomatoes that we have all grown up eating.  Over time the flavor grew on me, and now I like it very much, especially once cooked.  You might want to try another brand of SM before you give up on this type of tomato all together, but the "less sweet" SM flavor might just not be for you. Also realize that not many people are willing to pay $5 for a can of tomatoes when there are plenty of choices at their supermarket for $1.  Because of this it is very easy to buy a can of SM that have been sitting on the shelves for 3 years.  Avoid any dusty looking cans, or any stores that don't seem to do a lot of business.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 02:24:03 PM »
It had a "best before December 2008" imprinted on the can so it wasn't expired. I got it at Williams Sonoma and I would think that they turn them around quickly. Unfortunately there aren't many places around here that even sells SM tomatoes. $5 really isn't that bad and I really wouldn't mind paying that every once in a while. I figured I could get at least 4 pizzas out of a 28 oz can. I just need to find a GOOD can.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »
Ok, in that case I don't think you like the flavor of SM.  I think you will find similar flavors in other SM brands.  This doesn't surprise me since they are definitely not for everyone.  also, by the time you drain all the excess moisture out of them it would have to be 4 small pizzas, especially with the solania which are not that thick.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 10:17:21 PM »
So most of them really are that metallic tasting? Does that taste go away at all once it's cooked? I've grown to be picky about the tomatoes I use. Tried the 6-in-1's and didn't care for them, way too brightly concentrated and pasty IMO. But I didn't cut them with water as some people do. I like Tuttorosso and Red Gold about the best.

I'm still willing to give SM's another chance, is there a good "beginner" SM tomato brand I should try?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:54:16 PM by Kidder »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2007, 12:09:01 AM »
Do you have pastene in your area?  It may just be a new england thing.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 06:17:30 AM »
Do you have pastene in your area?  It may just be a new england thing.

Scott -
Pastene might be a New England thing - I lived in VA for a year and I think it was one of the food items that I couldn't find there. 

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 12:43:04 PM »
Never seen Pastene, it is a brand? I live in the Dayton, Ohio area so we don't much variety as far as tomatoes go. There is Jungle Jim's which is just north of Cincy which is supposed to have an amazing selection of food from all over the world, never been there though. I'd like to see what tomatoes they have sometime, but I rarely venture down that way.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007, 01:32:37 PM »
well, just try another brand or two and see if that flavor you don't like stays with the SM's.  I have found by looking at can codes that there are only really a few different canneries that sell here anyhow. They all have their own labels stuck on for the various brands that want to sell the same product her in the states.   If you can find a Cento italian (not "san marzano" or "italian style") that is labeled ROA on the top of the can, buy it. Cento has changed canneries for the product, and it's no good any more, but most of the stores in my area still have the older batch on the shelves.  That is my favorite.  I have found other smaller brands around the country with the same can code (ROA) on top.  That is the same tomato.  Good luck!

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
Cool, thanks for the suggestions!

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
Using Scott's code as a tip, I did a quick inventory of what I have:

ROA1 code on Joseph Russo non SM
AS1 code La Valle SM D.O.P and non D.O.P