Author Topic: King Arthur Flour offers baking steel plate  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Mad_Ernie

King Arthur Flour offers baking steel plate
« on: June 16, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
Look who is jumping on the baking steel bandwagon.  The price seems a little high to me, but maybe the bag has something to do with that.  It's interesting in that baking steel is becoming more recognized as a product to cook pizza beyond the traditional baking stone.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-baking-steel-and-storage-bag?go=EP140616B&utm_source=EP140616&utm_medium=email&utm_content=&spMailingID=6666131&spUserID=MTU2MTAwMzc2OTIS1&spJobID=461710868&spReportId=NDYxNzEwODY4S0
Let them eat pizza.

scott123

Re: King Arthur Flour offers baking steel plate
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »
$129 for a 1/4" x 14" x 16" plate? $79 is ridiculous, but $129  is just insane.

I guess when your customers are conditioned to buy price gouged flour, $129 for what's basically a $20 plate is not that big of a deal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:16:04 PM by scott123 »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:43:56 PM »

I guess when your customers are conditioned to buy price gouged flour, $129 for what's basically a $20 plate is not that big of a deal.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D  ^^^

Let them eat pizza.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:51:16 PM »

Did you read the response from the KA rep to the lady (Beth) who commented on the high price?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:55:37 PM »
Did you read the response from the KA rep to the lady (Beth) who commented on the high price?

I did after I made the initial post here.  Sounded like too much spin to me.  Can the bag really be worth an extra $50+?
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mdvpc

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
I saw that KA plate.  I need to get one.  Looking for suggestions from the members here.

scott123

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »

Haha, that's quite amusing. I wonder if, besides shipping with the bag, the plate comes with a big glass of kool aid, because the rep seems to be imbibing a ton of the stuff.

It's FUN to be ripped off! Weeeeeee!

scott123

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
I saw that KA plate.  I need to get one.  Looking for suggestions from the members here.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.0

Offline Mdvpc

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 07:01:56 PM »
Scott-Thanks.

Offline SweerMK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 07:46:26 PM »
Anyone that wants a baking steel, contact me, if you stop by, I will give you one for free!! Near Roanoke VA,,,

I have 10x12 and 10x15 and others I have not dug out from under my workbench, yet, all new, left over from when I sold parts such as this.

I must have 30 of each, plus others.

Sheared blanks at a steel supplier are cheap, talk to the right guy, the blank, from their 1/4" drops, should cost less than $15.

They may give you the drop, if you promise to bring them the first successful pizza!!  :drool:

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
Anyone that wants a baking steel, contact me, if you stop by, I will give you one for free!! Near Roanoke VA,,,

I have 10x12 and 10x15 and others I have not dug out from under my workbench, yet, all new, left over from when I sold parts such as this.

Sheared blanks at a steel supplier are cheap, talk to the right guy, the blank, from their 1/4" drops, should cost less than $15.

They may give you the drop, if you promise to bring them the first successful pizza!!  :drool:

These plate would require chemical cleaning, would they not?
Charles

scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:48 AM »

I'm curious, what do you mean by 'chemical cleaning?'

Offline SweerMK

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 01:20:36 AM »

Not at all, actually, the natural surface would be perfect, needing no more cleaning than you would do to a new cast iron pot.

The steel is manufactured at a temperature over 2,000 degrees, contamination during transport is possible, as with anything.

I would soak it for a couple hours in vinegar, toss it in the oven until it is 400 degrees, then apply your favorite edible oil, to inhibit rust.

Offline Sirrith

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 05:41:44 AM »

How much would it cost to ship one to OR, and how much does a 10x15 weigh? :)

Offline Kale dog

• love the smell of a pizza baking.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 01:29:54 PM »
I got a 1/2" plate for $40 at a fabricator basically scrap price, no need for "fancy steel"  :-D
*Sigh*