Author Topic: Baking Steel question on surface temperature.  (Read 313 times)

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
Baking Steel question on surface temperature.
« on: June 17, 2014, 06:49:53 PM »
Does anyone have experience going from a baking stone to a baking steel and know the surface temp difference between the two? 
I know my stone was getting to about 530--550 degrees in my convection oven preheated on the convection setting for 1 to 1.5 hours.

I assume the steel is supposed to read much hotter.  Wondering if anyone has taken temperature readings on both surfaces.

Thanks!
Jeff

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
Re: Baking Steel question on surface temperature.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think the advantage of steel is that it transfers heat much faster than stone.  It's somewhat trickier than stone for that same reason, and it takes a few tries with a steel to find out how your own oven will cook the bottom of your pies in the same time it takes for your oven to cook the top of your pies.

If you're interested in NY style pies and have a reliable broiler located as your top heating element, steel is a good bet.  If not, you should poke around a bit more before deciding to switch to steel.
Josh

Offline jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
Re: Baking Steel question on surface temperature.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:42:50 PM »
oh gotcha
so it doesn't actually get hotter it just transfers heat faster - interesting.  Thats a mind bender for us non physics types.

Jeff

pizzapan