Author Topic: Urban Fire - Madison, NJ  (Read 825 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Urban Fire - Madison, NJ
« on: June 21, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »
First let me start off by saying that this is the first Neapolitan pizza place I've ever been to in the US.  This place opened up a month or so ago and I've been hearing about it from all of my friends.  The ingredients they use are fresh and of high quality.  It is a create your own pizza with lots of ingredients to choose from.  One of the owners was happy to talk with us as we ordered and came to our table a few times to make sure we were pleased with our food.  We ordered some pallini, which are cheese balls filled with ricotta and prosciutto and deep fried to golden perfection.  We ordered two margheritas, one margherita with pepperoni and one tartufo which had a ricotta base with white truffle cream and then topped with sautéed mushrooms and prosciutto.  For dessert we ordered zeppoli sprinkled with powdered sugar and a side of Nutella.  All I can say is  :drool:  The pizzas are done in 90 seconds in their Stefano Ferrara oven.  The restaurant was very clean and the employees were friendly.  The prices were decent for Madison  :-D. Urban Fire is definitely worth a visit!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 06:55:53 PM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Urban Fire - Madison, NJ
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
It looks like they turned that poor Ferrara oven into the Deathmobile from Animal House.  :(
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 06:54:05 PM »
 :-D, Craig.

Sorry about the sideways pictures.  I forgot to rotate my iPhone  :-X
Mary Ann

scott123

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »
It looks like they turned that poor Ferrara oven into the Deathmobile from Animal House.  :(

*shaking my head*  Who in their right mind would put an ugly metal enclosure on a beautifully tiled SF?  Even if they went with an untiled model (money reasons), who in their right mind would put a dumpy metal enclosure over a shapely SF (that could most likely be cheaply and easily stucco'ed).  Perhaps this is an attempt at weatherproofing?

Unless it's not a SF at all.  The door looks a bit like an SF, but, knowing how much overlap there is between the oven builders regarding door sourcing, that doesn't mean much.

Great write up, Mary Ann. What do you think, better than Panevino, right?  ;D

Edit: Mary Ann, the next time you go, could you check the menu/walls for any kind of certification?  This feels a little like a Roberto traiined (APN) establishment).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:49:14 PM by scott123 »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 11:31:55 PM »
Scott - It does seem a little sad. It makes it look a bit like an UDS.

The pizza doesn't look too bad, and I would like to try a ricotta and proscuitto fried ball.

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 12:48:49 AM »
Based on a few tweets, I believe the owner worked at Pauline Gee's before going off on his own. I wanted to get here on my last trip through Jersey but didn't make it.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 06:34:48 AM »

Great write up, Mary Ann. What do you think, better than Panevino, right?  ;D

Edit: Mary Ann, the next time you go, could you check the menu/walls for any kind of certification?  This feels a little like a Roberto traiined (APN) establishment).

Scott,

There's no comparison.  Panevino's crust tastes different, even though they boast "real ingredients from Naples", it doesn't look or taste like a Neapolitan pizza.  Not the same mouthfeel.  I'm not saying that Panevino has bad pizza at all.  But Urban Fire's pizza was definitely better than Panevino  ;D

I didn't see any certification on the menu, but I don't remember for sure as I was a little distracted by the cute 4 year old in the last picture  >:D. I will look the next time I go.

I asked the owner what type of oven he had and I did see "Stefano Ferrara" above the door but my phone takes crummy pictures, so I didn't get a clear shot.

Based on a few tweets, I believe the owner worked at Pauline Gee's before going off on his own.

Jon,

The owner I spoke with told me that he did work at Paulie G's in Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:02:23 AM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline Sirius

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 01:09:42 PM »

Terrible, already saw some photos of the building process on instagram..it looks  :-\

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
Lemme help you guys out here.  Not only did Anthony work for me, but in the process we became great friends.  I even cried at his wedding.  Mostly because it was Valentine's Day and I had to leave the church and head back to PG's and missed a killer reception that my wife and son said was the the best they have ever attended.  He toiled on Wall Street before deciding that he would much rather make pizza.  He worked for me for for almost two years both in the kitchen and at the oven for very little money, all with the goal of opening his own pizzeria.  That oven is certainly a Stefano Ferrara 140.  I believe they chose to cover the oven with the shroud to give it a hint of being a locomotive.  Regardless of what the oven looks like, Anthony as you can probably tell from the picture is making pies that make me feel like a proud poppa.  As far as certification goes, Anthony (I believe wisely) did not apply for certification and has not called his place a Pizzeria Napoletana.  He did however train with Roberto at A Mano before joining me.

Ciao,

PG

scott123

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »
Paulie, thanks for the clarification.  Now that I'm aware of the full extent of Anthony's history, I'll make sure to visit.

I guess, when all is said and done, who really cares what the oven looks like, as long as the pizzas are good- and the pizzas definitely look respectable- especially the prosciutto pie.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:08:00 PM by scott123 »

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:10:24 PM »
You can't go wrong with the Tartufo pie, Scott. I haven't tasted prosciutto that good since I was in Italy.  Check it out  ;D
Mary Ann

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 01:44:08 PM »
I can vouch for Anthony's place. Everything is awesome, made with very premium ingredients, and made with a ton of love.

Pizzas are great, but it's the things no one is really trying that are killer. Rice balls and cheese balls....awesome. The porchetta sandwich......better than a well known staple in Manhattan. The show stopper, though....the Lampredotto. Basically the best french dip roast beef sandwich you'll ever have. I'm hungry writing about it....

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »
Thanks, hotsawce.  You made me hungry for the Lampredotto.  So, I dragged my kids there for lunch.  I split the sandwich with my oldest and had "The Veg" pizza.  It's topped with crushed tomatoes, roasted peppers, eggplant, caramelized onions, artichoke hearts and drizzled with roasted garlic herb oil.  Both items were fantastic.  The bread was fresh and the roast beef was very flavorful, as was the salsa verde that accompanied the sandwich.  I couldn't finish "The Veg", but now I have leftovers for a snack later  :-D

I wished I had room for the pallini.  I should've ordered those to go.  They are so incredibly delicious.  Maybe on the next visit I'll get them.  The place was packed for lunch!

Well, for me, Urban Fire is my favorite new place.  Thanks Anthony!!!
Mary Ann

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »
Me and My Man Anthony at Urban Fire  in front of the  Stefano Putting out some great pies and yes the smile tells it all! "Don't just dream your life, Live your dream" He is doing great and I cant wait to go back ! The apys meatballs , riceballs and fried pork all are quite good a well
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com