Author Topic: Aromatic Yeast Products from Lallemand  (Read 5355 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Aromatic Yeast Products from Lallemand
« on: June 23, 2014, 02:53:14 PM »
I was reading an interesting item about aromatic yeasts from Lallemand that can be used in making pizza dough, at http://www.lallemandbaking.com/our-products/bakery_cultures/aromatic-yeasts/ and also at http://www.nxtbook.com/sosland/mbn/2014_06_10/#/32/OnePage.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Aromatic Yeast Products from Lallemand
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for posting about those aromatic yeasts from Lallemand.  They do sound interesting.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for posting about those aromatic yeasts from Lallemand.  They do sound interesting.

Norma

This has your name written all over it.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »
This has your name written all over it.  ;D

Craig,

LOL, I might try to get some.  I guess you know me well enough by now.  When it comes to pizza I just can't stop myself from experimenting.  I think I need help.   :-D

Which one would you choose if given one?

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
Craig,

LOL, I might try to get some.  I guess you know me well enough by now.  When it comes to pizza I just can't stop myself from experimenting.  I think I need help.   :-D

Which one would you choose if given one?

Norma

For pizza, I'm thinking A18. I bet you can get them to send you a free sample...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
For pizza, I'm thinking A18. I bet you can get them to send you a free sample...

Craig,

Thanks for your opinion on which one would be good for pizza.  ;) I will see what I can do about getting a sample.

Norma

Offline Zing

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:48 PM »
DNA Dan has been trying to create beery-flavored pizza crust for quite a while now. I know the samples of Shakey's Pizza I received in 2013 would yield a marvelous aroma when being reheated from the frozen state. It even did it when I first scraped off the cheese and sauce.

Anybody know of any shop selling aromatic yeast in LDL quantities to pizza hobbyists?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:25:29 AM »
I received this email and attachments this morning. 

I have received your request about aromatic yeast information from our web site Lallemand.com.
Indeed, our aromatic yeasts are well suited for pizza dough, since they have reduced leavening powder, but they can produce new flavors profiles that differ from the conventional bakeír yeasts. We can also use them for bread production, with longer proofing times or with a small supplementation of bakerís yeast in the final dough.

We normally recommend to use these yeast strains during a prefermentation in order to enhance the flavor development, but you can also use them directly in the final dough according to your regular process, depending on the final application and recipe you may need to increase the yeast dosage compared to bakeír yeast.

I send you here attached some general information about the application for these products and also the technical data sheet of our three strains in this range.

Please, let me know if you wish to receive samples for testing or if you may need some technical support for the application of this product.

Thanks you for your interest.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Ana Sanchez Jimena
Product Manager
LALLEMAND BAKING SOLUTIONS
19, rue des Briquetiers
31702 Blagnac Cedex France
+33 (0) 5 62 74 55 68
+33 (0) 6 33 58 82 73
asanchez@lallemand.com

P Avant d'imprimer, pensez ŗ l'environnement ! Think green before printing !

Any help in asking what samples to ask for and other technical support questions would be appreciated.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:38:43 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:50 AM »
I received the samples of Aromatic yeast this morning from Lallemand Baking Solutions.  Can someone give me a good formulation to try out for one of these yeast products?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
Ana just sent me this email and two formulations.

Did I already end you some examples of recipes or some advices?

About the fermentation process, if you let the yeast ferment for at least 18h in a preferment, you may have a higher effect in the flavor differentiation. But we also have some customers that are just using the aromatic yeasts in their pizza dough directly in the straight process (replacing the conventional bakerís yeast).
You can also try to just do a short sponge process (with a 4h fermentation).

I guess you should make some trials to see the results on flavor and also to optimize the yeast dosage level you may need.

See attached some examples of recipes. You can use the same recipes and process with both aromatic yeasts.

Please, let me know if you want us to support or help you with your trials. Any information you could share with us about your current process and the goals youíre looking for, could help us in our recommendations.

Regards,

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
Norma,

There is nothing wrong with using the aromatic yeast products in a preferment (e.g., sponge) application, but unless you think you will be using prefermented dough at market, it might make more sense to just use the aromatic yeast products in a straight dough with a current dough formulation that you have used successfully at market. That way, you can see if you like the aromatic yeast products. The downside of making prefermented dough is that you have to do all of the calculations to scale the recipes down to a smaller batch size by hand using pencil, paper and a calculator.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 06:40:09 PM »
Norma,

There is nothing wrong with using the aromatic yeast products in a preferment (e.g., sponge) application, but unless you think you will be using prefermented dough at market, it might make more sense to just use the aromatic yeast products in a straight dough with a current dough formulation that you have used successfully at market. That way, you can see if you like the aromatic yeast products. The downside of making prefermented dough is that you have to do all of the calculations to scale the recipes down to a smaller batch size by hand using pencil, paper and a calculator.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me that it would be better to try the aromatic yeast products in a straight dough with a current formulation I can successfully use at market.  I tried a dough yesterday with a higher amount of oil that I liked a lot.  I guess that is the formulation I will use first.

I know making a prefermented dough can take a lot of work with paper, pencil and a calculator.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 08:29:49 AM »
I was curious about what the Aromatic yeasts looked like and smelled.  I opened the Florapan A18 late last evening and was surprised to see the color, size and smell of the A18.  The A18 is bigger in size than regular IDY or ADY, and is in round balls.  The A18 actually has a beer or sourdough smell to it.  I decided to make a bar style dough out of the A18 because I want to try the new cheese I purchased with another type of cheese. 

I was not sure if I should prehydrate the A18 in some of the formula water or not because I did not ask Ana what should be done.  I decided to prehydrate the A18 in part of the formula water.

The dough ball did not ferment much until this morning, but it does have a different smell.  It almost smells like a sourdough.  I know Lallemand recommends addition proof times when using the aromatic yeasts.  I will watch the dough ball and see how it ferments.  I might take it out of the refrigerator at some point in time.

Norma

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
Norma:  I am curious about this yeast.  Will it allow for a same day or 1 day dough to have the flavor of a multi day dough?  I am sure people balked at ADY and IDY when it came out too.  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »
Norma:  I am curious about this yeast.  Will it allow for a same day or 1 day dough to have the flavor of a multi day dough?  I am sure people balked at ADY and IDY when it came out too.  Walter

Walter,

I really don't know if the Lallemand yeasts will give a better flavor to a 1 day dough.  That is why I wanted to try two of the aromatic yeast products.  So far the dough does smell good.  Maybe you might want to contact Lallmand and get some samples to try.  If you get some samples we both could compare our results.  8)

Norma

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
Walter,

I really don't know if the Lallemand yeasts will give a better flavor to a 1 day dough.  That is why I wanted to try two of the aromatic yeast products.  So far the dough does smell good.  Maybe you might want to contact Lallmand and get some samples to try.  If you get some samples we both could compare our results.  8)

Norma

Norma:  Did they give you prices?  I see it comes from France and wonder how much it will cost.  I will email for a sample of the beer strain.  Walter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »
I am sure people balked at ADY and IDY when it came out too.  Walter

I actually doubt that is true. In both cases the new form brought significant advantages at no cost of quality and more importantly with respect to people balking, the previous form(s) remained widely available; people were not forced to switch. ADY was developed for the army in WWII. The advantages it brought with it to war as compared to fresh yeast were literally game changing. I would suspect this also brought widespread acceptance at home. IDY allowed for practical automatic breadmakers which, while paling in comparison to ADYs role in WWII, was not insignificant.  In both the case of ADY and IDY, each quickly took a large share of the market from the previous forms.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 12:10:08 PM »
Norma:  Did they give you prices?  I see it comes from France and wonder how much it will cost.  I will email for a sample of the beer strain.  Walter

Walter,

If you didn't read this whole thread this is a link to show what the aromatic yeasts are supposed to do. http://www.lallemandbaking.com/our-products/bakery_cultures/aromatic-yeasts/  I don't know how much the aromatic yeasts would cost, but mine came from Canada.  Lallemand gave me 4 generous samples to play around with.  I don't know if Lallemand in the US carries the aromatic yeasts or not.  http://www.lallemand.com/about-us/where-we-operate I can give you Ana email address if you want.  This is it.   asanchez@lallemand.com Be careful though if Ana asks for you social security number.  This was a part of an email I received from Ana.

However, I may need your IRS or FDA number, or even your social security number for this shipment, since the samples will leave from Europe or Canada to the USA. Indeed, it is a request from the US government (part of the Bioterrorism act) that all food material coming into the USA needs to be approved first and this is done by the Prior Notice. Our courier service is requesting us to enter the recipient IRS # in order to get the sample through customs and FDA. This is a requirement by U.S. Customs & Border Protection.  

I sure was not giving my social security number for samples.  I then sent Ana photos of my Retail Food Facility License and the Certificate of Registration Sales Tax License from market.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:16 PM »
I actually doubt that is true. In both cases the new form brought significant advantages at no cost of quality and more importantly with respect to people balking, the previous form(s) remained widely available; people were not forced to switch. ADY was developed for the army in WWII. The advantages it brought with it to war as compared to fresh yeast were literally game changing. I would suspect this also brought widespread acceptance at home. IDY allowed for practical automatic breadmakers which, while paling in comparison to ADYs role in WWII, was not insignificant.  In both the case of ADY and IDY, each quickly took a large share of the market from the previous forms.
I can see how some people might have balked at first when using ADY because it had to be prehydrated in water at a particular temperature, which users may not have done with care and attention unless they used whatever thermometers existed at the time for home use. By contrast, fresh yeast, with around 70% water, was already hydrated and could just be tossed into the mixer bowl. I remember reading that the biggest complaint that the yeast producers received from home bakers had to do with failures that were attributed to temperature. I was able to find the post I entered on this subject at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4747.msg40332;topicseen#msg40332. Tom Lehmann has also written on many occasions about some of the adverse effects on ADY yeast performance when the water temperature is off.

I can certainly imagine that bakers were ecstatic when instant dry yeast was introduced. That got those who had been using ADY away from most of the temperature issues since they could add the IDY to the mixer bowls much like they did with fresh yeast. Of course, both ADY and IDY had the advantage over fresh yeast of being dry and amenable to long term storage in unopened packaging or, once opened, held in the refrigerator or freezer (or maybe in ice boxes back in the 1940s in the case of ADY).

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »
I really don't understand the spec sheet for the Florapan A16 that was sent with the samples.  If anyone understands the spec sheet let me know what it means.  I was not sent a spec sheet for the Florapan A18.  If anyone wants me to try and get a spec sheet for the A18 let me know.

Norma