Author Topic: Links to Posts in a Thread  (Read 3666 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Links to Posts in a Thread
« on: June 21, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
Until recently, my practice in providing a link to a post in a given thread was to provide a link along with the Reply number and page number (for a thread with more than one page). Unfortunately, the link was to the top of the page, and not to the post itself. That meant that unless the post was at the top of the page one would have to scroll down to the post to read it. Recently, one of our new members, enchant (Pat), told me how to create the link so that it would go directly to the post. Unless I am the only one on the planet who did not know how to do this, I thought that others may benefit from the tip as well.

The procedure is as follows: 1) Go to the thread and page containing the post to which a link is to be provided; 2) Next to the topic heading in the post, to the left of that heading and to the Reply number and date and time, you will see an icon that is light blue and looks like a sheet of paper with a corner folded down; 3) Click on that icon--which will create the link to the post in the address bar; and 4) Cut and paste the new address appearing in the address bar into the text (e.g., another post) that is to link to the post in question. Once that is done, when someone later clicks on the link, the link will take the reader to the exact post.

I suspect that there are many other such tips that would be useful to our members, myself included. I would invite our members who have such tips to pass them on to the membership. To avoid confusion, it might be best to post such tips in separate threads.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Links to Posts in a Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
In my browser (Firefox) you can right click on the icon and then select "copy link" to place to the full URL of the reply in the clipboard for later pasting into the new post..

Bill/SFNM

Offline bdcbbq

• I Love Pizza!
    • Brisket Dog BBQ
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »
In my browser (Firefox) you can right click on the icon and then select "copy link" to place to the full URL of the reply in the clipboard for later pasting into the new post..

Bill/SFNM

You can do the same thing with Internet Explorer.

Is there a way to label a link with this software? Thats a handy tool when its used to insert a link into a post. When reading the link doesn't interfere your concentration.
Bruce
bruce@bdbbq.com
Brisket Dog BBQ

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 03:37:58 PM »
In the code below, replace the parens with square brackets:  () => []

(url=http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3249.msg27464.html#msg27464)Here is a cool post(/url)

The above code, if you replace the parens, will give you this:

Here is a cool post
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 03:42:41 PM by enchant »
--pat--

Offline enchant

• World-class pizza maker in the making
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 03:41:19 PM »

Yup - I do that too (another Firefox user).  But when I explain it to someone, I don't know what browser they're using, so rather than say "If you're using Firefox, do this...  or if you're using Netscape, do this... or...)
:)
--pat--

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:00:42 PM »
Peter?

How many windows do you have to open?

I'm thinking it's about 3; 1 to search for the thread, then a second opens when clicking the icon for the link, then the third if you have already started a reply in your current thread.

Enchant

Cool tip... thanks!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 02:10:27 PM »
Lydia,

That sounds about right. When I know I am going to post with a lot of links that I have to track down, I use Word to create the document. When I'm done, I spell-check it and use it to post.

Peter

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 01:06:21 PM »
Peter

Cool idea to use Word. I always have Word open anyhow.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.