Author Topic: Pappa Johns TV Commercials - Horrible?  (Read 310 times)

Offline petef

Pappa Johns TV Commercials - Horrible?
« on: June 24, 2014, 03:53:33 AM »
Are you seeing the latest TV commercials for Papa John's Pizza?

Here's just one example...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44j7UXHQf7E" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44j7UXHQf7E</a>

Is it just me or do you agree the pies in these commercial don't look good at all. Not very appetizing. I'd say they are outright horrible looking compared to the pics I see all the time on pizzamaking.com

I've eaten Papa John's Pizza and it didn't seem that bad.
Maybe he just needs a new ad agency.

---pete---

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pappa Johns TV Commercials - Horrible?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »
pete,

When I first heard about the new PJ Greek pizza, I did a quick search for reviews. In general, the reviews were mixed but with a trend to the downside.

I have also learned from the past that it is a good idea not to compare what real PJ pizzas look like compared to the photos staged for PJ by professionals. The photo below of a real Greek pizza makes this point, for better or worse.

Peter

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
You have to remember that the larger part of the US is dominated with people with different tastes than those on this forum. Just look at yelp, it's the most untrustworthy source for good pizza. The only help it can be of is to look at other peoples pictures. So many 1 star reviews of neo places being described as "burnt" and "soupy" just make me laugh.

The main thing we seem to like is consistency. Mcdonalds is gross, but it's the exact same amount of gross no matter where you go, and sometimes that's a good thing.

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:02:26 AM »
Guys, I'm not talking so much about whether Pappa Johns pizza is actually good or bad, I'm just saying, the pizza shown in the TV commercials looks absolutely unappetizing. Their cheeseburger pizza commercial looked the worst ever!

I realize that personal tastes for different kinds of pizza can vary a lot, but I'm just wondering,  does anyone here think the Pappa Johns Pizza in the recent TV commercials looks appetizing?

In other words, I'm looking for a reality check. :)

---pete---

Online tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
Very few if any members of this forum would find the pizza in the commercials appetizing. But as noted, we are not their target audience.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
I have commented before on the poor appearance of PJ's pizzas in general. All one has to do is to do a Google Image search to see that. I have speculated in the past that the reason for the poor appearance may be the cheese blend that PJ uses. I know what is in the blend but I am not sure which specific component it is that appears to burn and leave dark spots during baking. You never see those spots in the photos or videos prepared for PJ by professionals.

When members have made PJ clones on this forum, using better cheeses, the clones can look like these:

Reply 683 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg292556#msg292556

Peter

Offline petef

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 02:43:14 AM »
I have speculated in the past that the reason for the poor appearance may be the cheese blend that PJ uses. I know what is in the blend but I am not sure which specific component it is that appears to burn and leave dark spots during baking. You never see those spots in the photos or videos prepared for PJ by professionals.

Dark spots might not bother me. The cheese in at least one PJ commercial looked white & rubbery and so unappetizing. On the other hand, the pic of the PJ clones you referred me to looked great! I just don't understand how anyone from Pappa John's top management could allow such unappetizing pics to air on TV.

Thanks for the reality check! :)

---pete---

Offline petef

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 03:13:20 AM »
Just for the record, it appears that the Grey ad agency is responsible for creating those PJ ads. ---pete---

February 24, 2014
Papa John's Selects Grey as Its National Advertising Agency of Record

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Papa John's, the world's third largest pizza delivery company, has selected Grey as its new national advertising agency of record. Grey is charged with evolving and freshening Papa John's TV creative and all campaign communication elements, and integrating digital advertising and social media.

http://ir.papajohns.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=827838
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:15:26 AM by petef »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
pete,

It seemed to me that a few years ago, as Domino's was going through their "makeover", they had an ad campaign in which they used only actual photos of their pizzas, and they even had a contest and a website (now disabled) for customers to show photos of the pizzas they bought from Domino's. The ad campaign is discussed in the Domino's PR release at http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=135383&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1444239&highlight=. There is also an interesting video at

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBT1Gd89fvw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBT1Gd89fvw</a>

that shows some of the food stylists' and photographer's tricks for staging and photographing pizzas, including the use of a professional hand model. Take note also of how many people it takes to do a professional food photo shoot.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
One time I took a customer to our corporate office to do a photo shoot of their products (made with our products). We arrived on a Monday. One of the food stylists had been gardening over the weekend and had all sorts of dirt and grime up under her fingernails and it looked really gross. She didn't seem to care in the slightest - probably because nobody ever eats the food they assemble for photos. The customer didn't say anything, but I was really embarrassed.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline petef

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 01:13:29 AM »
pete,

It seemed to me that a few years ago, as Domino's was going through their "makeover", they had an ad campaign in which they used only actual photos of their pizzas, and they even had a contest and a website (now disabled) for customers to show photos of the pizzas they bought from Domino's.

Too bad showusyourpizza dot com has been disabled because I'd love to see all those pics. That's a great response by Dominos.  I now seem to recall the ad campaign about Dominos changing their pizza recipe. It makes me want to try Dominos pizza now.

Thanks for the interesting video too!

---pete---

pizzapan