Author Topic: the absence of salt  (Read 2369 times)

stock

the absence of salt
« on: April 10, 2004, 06:10:20 PM »
and then, in a masterful move of cooking prowess, i managed to carefully omit--that is to say, i somehow completely forgot to add--salt to the pizza dough i made earlier today.  out of idle curiosity, how noticeable should i expect the lack of salt to be to my tongue?
-scott

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
Re:the absence of salt
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 07:20:46 PM »
the dough or crust after baking should taste quite bland or flat. You might be able to compensate abit by sprinkling some salt on your sauce layer above or below the cheese before baking.

You will still notice the missing salt in the dough though....

Offline Pierre

• Someone say "PIZZA !!"?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 01:37:44 PM »
Scott, how was the pizza? Did you notice the lack of Salt in the dough even after compensating?

Pierre

stock

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 08:55:16 PM »
(http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~srb/papadelnosalt.jpg)

Did you notice the lack of Salt in the dough even after compensating?

i forwent trying to add salt the next day, and just cooked it as it was.  without the salt to inhibit the yeast, the pizza rose like mad in the oven (it was in danger of jumping out of the pan).  as for the taste: it, to me at least, tasted rather like a dinner roll--very 'light and fluffy'--and seemed to have a similar texture as well.  it was an interesting change of pace, but i think i'll stick putting salt in my dough in the future.

as an interesting aside, i mentioned, to my grandma, that i had forgotten to put salt in my pizza dough, and she said the always makes her pizza dough without salt--go figure.
-scott

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 09:25:56 PM »
I thought there was no way I could be suprised at a pizza. :o
but...
Stock my man you have done it I have never seen or even imagined having beans of any sort on a pizza.

This peaks my interest could that be a chili pizza? Sounds interesting.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

stock

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 10:03:03 PM »
This peaks my interest could that be a chili pizza? Sounds interesting.

hm, that does sound good.  i've tried a lot of stuff on pizza, from chocolate to graham crackers to peanut butter to various fruits.  basically, if it's a food i like, i'm willing to try it on a pizza, and chili i like.  i already have ideas forming in my head for a deep dish pizza topped with one of my cans of hormel turkey chili with beans.  thanks for the idea! :)
-scott