Author Topic: New Haven Style Pizza Recipe Questions  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
New Haven Style Pizza Recipe Questions
« on: June 26, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »
Hey guys. So I am a beginner in making pizza but I can def see the progress I have made. I am from East Haven which is also home of some of the best pizza (not quite as good as new haven but close). I managed to get one of my pizzas to taste very similiar to John & Marias on Route 80. I do however want to get it more close to New Haven pizza like modern apizza (my favorite). So I have a few questions.

1. I am a beginner so I do not want to start with too high of a hydration so is 58-60% good enough? 2% salt? 0.5% IDY?

2. Any tips for making by hand (no standmixer yet)?

3. How long to fermate in fridge? What if I ever wanted to make dough the morning of? Will it still work as good?

4. I think I am going to use the broiler method next. I am going to set my oven to preheat with 1" pizza stone on top rack. Then, a few minutes before I am going to turn the oven off and turn the broiler on high to try to get the stone hotter. When I launch the pizza to I keep it on broiler or put it back on bake at 550?

I think those are all my questions for now. BTW all the stuff I did learn so far has been from this website. This is the best forum ever and everyone is so helpful!

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New Haven Style Pizza Recipe Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:03:19 PM »
Bump

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »
I haven't had Modern so I don't know how it compares to Pepe's but Frank was working on a pepe's clone about a year ago and I think he posted his formula. His screen name is polishpizza .  His posts might be a good starting point for you.
Deb

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
Perhaps surprisingly, this style is not discussed all that often here - at least not compared to NY or NP. Scott123 helped Frank develop his NH recipe. He is probably your best bet for help.  Here is one of Frank's formulations: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23549.msg239407#msg239407.
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:38:48 PM »
Scott123 helped Frank develop his NH recipe. He is probably your best bet for help.  Here is one of Frank's formulations: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23549.msg239407#msg239407.

Actually, Craig, that's kind of an early iteration- sort of a NY/NH hybrid, but thanks for the endorsement.  The final version can be found here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26010.msg262301#msg262301

That recipe can, in the right hands, produce these:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23827.0

A few notes/caveats.

First, since writing that recipe, I've learned that Pepe's uses more salt in their dough.  Bump the salt to 2.25%.  Second, this recipe produces the closest (imo) facsimile to Pepe's in a home oven.  It's not a pure Pepe's clone.  To achieve a perfect clone, a coal oven is mandatory. My recipe does it's best to compensate for a home oven's shortcomings.

Sanzz, for New Haven at home, the oven setup is just about everything, with flour choice coming in a very distant second.  It sounds like you have an oven that goes to 550 and has a broiler in the main compartment.  Both are essential when working with 1/2" steel plate- which is what you're going to want to get. Size is a pretty key factor in New Haven style, so you're going to want the biggest plate that your oven can fit

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.0

What are the dimensions of your oven shelves?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:41:16 PM by scott123 »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
That's why I told him to go to you.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »
Thanks guys. Before posting this I already knew I had a minor setback with the size of my oven rack. My oven rack will fit a max of 13.5 depth cookware in there. I ordered a 1" thick pizza stone that measures 13.5"x20". So I know the pizza won't be to the size standards and the way it cooks like New Haven pizza. Thanks for the detailed reply scott and sorry I didn't respond sooner been a little busy.

I also ordered my self a 6-quart pro kitchenaid mixer (the one with the spiral dough hook that I heard is way better). How long am I supposed to be mixing/kneading the dough on the second to lowest setting?

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »
Scratch the question about how long to knead it in the mixer I just read the link you gave me lol.

scott123

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 01:13:42 AM »
Sanzz, is your rack really only 13.5" deep?!?  Is the rack the depth of the oven? Is the actual oven only 13.5" deep?  If you don't mind me asking, is this a normal home oven? I've never seen a home oven that wasn't at least 16" deep.

While that's a bummer about your shelf size, if your oven is that small, you can survive with smaller pies.  What you can not survive without, though, is the increased conductivity of steel.  The bake time dictates oven spring/the texture of the crust. If you can't produce a fast bake, you won't have something close enough to New Haven style to be acceptable. It won't be New Haven style at all. 90% of a New Haven style pizza is bake time. Not having the right oven setup would be like embarking on this task without being able to use flour.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:20:57 AM »
No the oven i think is 16" but the back end of the rack kind of has a lip that reduces the width of a stone/steel or any kind of tray i can put in there.

I will definitely consider baking steel though. I already ordered the stone so I'll make some use out of that and order some steel sometime this summer to get closer to new haven style pizza.

Is there anywhere online I can get custom baking steel?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:44:27 AM by Sanzz18 »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »
Not too far from New Haven, Logan Steel could probably hook you up.

http://logansteel.com/

With some looking, you might be able to someplace closer to home. If you can avoid shipping, you'll save some money. No need to pay the post office to basically send a cannonball through the mail. All you need is a local fabricator and that pizza steel thread.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
If you lay a couple pieces of square tubing across the width of the shelf (or pieces of brick, etc.) you can use a deeper piece of steel that will extend right over the lip and let you use the full depth of your oven cavity. The tubing would transfer the weight of the steel closer to the shelf supports, which should minimize the droop of the shelf.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Thanks jon for the hookup appreciate it. Vsteve wow that is an awesome idea! Thanks!

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
my oven is 16" deep (barely) and I have the standard size baking steel - if I were buying now no question I would do a 16 " with the raised bars configuration
Deb

scott123

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »
Sanzz, if you don't mind making a few phone calls, driving to pick the plate up and then spending some time cleaning the plate, then you can save yourself up to $80.  If, on the other hand, you're okay with paying a huge premium to have a ready to bake plate shipped to your door, Stoughton, the company that makes bakingsteel, does custom sizes. Locally, you should be able to find a 16ish x 18ish x 1/2" plate for $40-$60.  For a custom order through Stoughton, expect to be quoted some where in the $120 realm.

Regardless of whether or not you get the steel locally or online, I highly recommend reading this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.0

as it contains important information on sizing and measuring.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:27:50 PM by scott123 »

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 09:17:38 PM »
Scott, thanks a lot for the awesome advice. I definitely cannot wait until all my new supplies come in to start cranking out pizzas. You guys are all awesome here!

Also Scott, can you explain what was meant by this "Measure dry (no yeast). Measure wet (+ yeast)." in the final version of the NH dough recipe? Was a little confused on what was meant. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:38:27 PM by Sanzz18 »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Sanzz-

Measure dry (no yeast): Measure all the dry ingredients excluding the yeast (flour and salt go into a bowl).
Measure wet (+yeast): Measure all the wet ingredients and then add the yeast to the wet and mix to dissolve (water and yeast into the bowl of the mixer).
Dry into wet: Add the flour/salt into the water/yeast

I think in this dough formulation the note was made because IDY is sometimes mixed in with the dry ingredients.

I do hope this works out for you because a Pepe's white clam and bacon is one of my favorites, although last time I was there it fell a little short.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 09:17:13 PM »
Thank you very much Jon. I should have known what that meant, I guess I thought to much into it. As soon as I make my first pizzas I will post some pics. The kitchenaid and stone should be here Monday. We will see how it comes out but I will definitely very soon get some baking steel and tubing.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »
Also, what if it was a last minute decision and only had 24 hours to let the dough rise in the fridge? Is there anyway I can make that work or different procedures to have the dough ready in 24 hours?

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »
I wouldn't bother with the fridge - 24 hours is a nice zone for room-temperature ferments.