Author Topic: Because putting on the toppings yourself makes it more "real"  (Read 518 times)

Offline TXCraig1

"Sales of frozen meals fell 3% to $8.92 billion from 2009 through 2013, the Wall Street Journal reports, based on data from Euromonitor International.

"There is definitely a push toward products that are more real, higher quality, more homemade and closer to the source," Rob McCutcheon, president of ConAgra's consumer frozen-food division, told the Journal.

DiGiorno's answer to that is the "Design A Pizza Kit," which includes a cheese pizza with individually wrapped meats, veggies, shredded cheese and a seasoning packet."

http://www.businessinsider.com/digiorno-launches-customizable-pizza-2014-6

Nothing says homemade like putting on the toppings yourself.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Sandra Lee made a fortune with that mantra.

Offline Jackitup

Re: Because putting on the toppings yourself makes it more "real"
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »
And I'll bet they charge more for it too!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
After seeing the commercial, I thought the pie looked pretty disgusting. It appears they are stingy with the toppings too. A Tony's  two dollar pizza looks much better. If you have a pie craving, they are not that bad. I would rather use my own toppings on a frozen cheese pizza, than use the pizza kit.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:26:48 PM by nick57 »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
There is a place in Austin, Mi Pizza, that let's you build your own pizza.  I plan on visiting next week to see what they are doing.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 03:45:54 PM »
We have a pizza franchise in Tulsa, called "Top That Pizza." They sell personal size pizzas priced at $5.49 for a 6 inch to $7.49 for a 10 incher. You choose your style of crust and toppings. It's kind of like Subway, you choose the toppings and they cook it. I would not say the product is bad, but I would not say it's good either. If I was looking for a pie in their price range, I would rather go for a Little Caesar's.  Here is a link to their web page.  http://www.topthatpizza.com/index.html

Quick trip convenience stores now make personal pizzas on demand for $6.99, have not tried one. They look like a smaller Little Caesar's pie but cost a buck more.  In their defense, QT is one of the top convenience stores in the region. They are always friendly, clean, and have decent pricing. I never go to their competition,  QT's usually have the best gas prices. I must admit I worked for them back in the early 70"s till the night I got robbed and led to back room. Yes I came out alive, even though the guy put a gun to the back of my head and laid me on the floor. Whew!!!   Here is link about their kitchens and some pizza shots. http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/foodreview/review-quiktrip-s-qt-kitchens-offer-fresh-quick-options-to/article_d5b8f9a7-5885-5db0-9edd-1063936d54b7.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:25:33 PM by nick57 »

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 08:05:43 PM »
Quick trip convenience stores now make personal pizzas on demand for $6.99, have not tried one. They look like a smaller Little Caesar's pie but cost a buck more.  In their defense, QT is one of the top convenience stores in the region. They are always friendly, clean, and have decent pricing. I never go to their competition,  QT's usually have the best gas prices. I must admit I worked for them back in the early 70"s till the night I got robbed and led to back room. Yes I came out alive, even though the guy put a gun to the back of my head and laid me on the floor. Whew!!!   Here is link about their kitchens and some pizza shots. http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/foodreview/review-quiktrip-s-qt-kitchens-offer-fresh-quick-options-to/article_d5b8f9a7-5885-5db0-9edd-1063936d54b7.html

"Our build-your-own pizza had a thick, cheesy topping with fresh-tasting mushrooms, green peppers and black olives on a medium crust. Pepperoni, sausage and onions also were available."

hrm, sounds......  real???!??!?!!?      :-D

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:27:40 PM »
I can't say I've sampled one yet, is was kinda fearin to try one. But I'll take one for the team, and let ya know if saying it's a pizza is false advertising or not.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 10:13:38 PM »
Oh i'd definitely try it too - i'm never one to turn down pizza. :-D  I was actually poking fun of the way it was written.  here's a video, not sure I trust these guys' review, but it does kind of show what it looks like:

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
Were those guys stoned or what?  That's it, I gotta go try one. I'll get the supreme. I'll have to do it next week. In the next couple of a days a girlfriend is taking me to Shotgun Sam's Pizza. It opened two month ago, and the reviews were not very kind. It  closed in the early 80's and was a popular pizza joint till the owners kids changed it into a fine dining italian eatery. Hopefully they have all the bugs worked out. Besides, she is paying for the meal. Good looking company and free pizza, what more can ya ask for?

Offline Gently Rising

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 12:34:36 AM »
The video looked like an attempt at viral marketing with the carefully chosen demographics and constant upbeat comments.
 We had a small business here last year that only sold fresh dough and sauce. I suppose everyone's got something in their fridge to use as topping. They delivered the dough and sauce within the hour for $20 and there was enough to make two pizzas. They did gluten free too.
 I suppose the hardest part of making pizza is the base and real dough tastes best.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »
I doubt it's viral marketing.  I don't think Quik Trip really advertises anything, and I can't see them putting money into such a minor part of their business.  Also, the guy who posted it has several other videos - again a lot of work for a company that really doesn't advertise anything.  It's also only been up for 4 months with only 99 views, so it's a pretty poor attempt if it really is marketing.   :-D