Author Topic: Latest Efforts (Pics Attached)  (Read 5819 times)

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Latest Efforts (Pics Attached)
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 12:45:01 AM »
Raji, it may be worth you getting a non-contact infrared thermometer to double check what temp your domestic oven is really hitting on cleaning cycle. I've found that with my Equipex benchtop, which goes up to 662F, if I get too overzealous and set it at 572F(or above) let's say instead of the normal 550F, the pie will cook way too fast making it very easy to overcook the base (or cook the toppings before the base). However, these days I always set it to right on 550F and invariably check the stone's temp, which is always a bit higher, with the thermometer. This kind of oven is also heated with dual quartz elements so you have both upper and lower heating sources, I'm sure that makes a difference to the general evenness of cooking. As well, I also rely on the IR thermometer for dough temps across the entire process and also check suface temps in my fridge, so it is a handy tool to have generally.

Good call... I've been researching different models and will buy a raytek ir thermometer off Amazon tonight.  I'm flying blind without it. 

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 01:04:23 AM »
Scott R,

Ok, that all makes sense. 

In my oven, if I adjust the temperature setting after the door has been open, the digital display shows acutal temperature, not target temperature.  I know the oven loses a lot of heat whenver I open the door and I'm cooking at 500F.

Thanks,

Jack - Enginerd

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 01:13:09 AM »
My infrared thermometer has arrived and I've started paying closer attention to stone temperature when cooking my pizza.  I let my oven preheat for an hour during the self cleaning cycle.  After an hour the stone is at 800F.  I use a metal pan to absorb the heat when it gets too hot.  I cooled it down to 725F and then put my pizza in.  I'm disappointed to say that my pizza still got burned on the bottom -- not as burned as before, but still too charred.

I should point out that the dough I used tonight was from a local pizzeria.  I know they use a fair amount of oil when making the dough and I believe they put some egg in the dough as well so it will brown better.  Also, they're using high gluten flour only.  Could these factors be causing the bottom to burn? 

I'm going to try a few runs with my normal dough (no oil, very little yeast, 50/50 bread/gluten flour, 3 day cold rise) over the next couple of days.

Can anyone with experience using a high temp oven recommend a good temperature for the stone? 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2006, 02:10:08 AM »
raji,  You need to make your own dough without sugar or egg.  If there is any sugar in there it will definitely burn on the bottom.   Many pizzerias use sugar in their dough, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there even if you don't taste it.  Eggs would probably do a similar thing, but I don't know first hand, I am just assuming.
A little oil should not be a problem.  I use a little in my dough sometimes and it works fine at high temps.

Trust me, make your own dough with nothing but flour water yeast and salt.  That is the type of dough you need for these high temps.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I really think you are also going to need to put your stone in there just before you put the pizza in.  If the bottom burns again you have waited too long.  If the top burns you didn't wait long enough.

I know the pan as a heat sink and the tin foil trick work for Jeff Varasano, but I have never been able to get the consistently good results he does with those methods.

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2006, 03:07:45 AM »
raji,  You need to make your own dough without sugar or egg.  If there is any sugar in there it will definitely burn on the bottom.   Many pizzerias use sugar in their dough, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there even if you don't taste it.  Eggs would probably do a similar thing, but I don't know first hand, I am just assuming.
A little oil should not be a problem.  I use a little in my dough sometimes and it works fine at high temps.

Trust me, make your own dough with nothing but flour water yeast and salt.  That is the type of dough you need for these high temps.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but I really think you are also going to need to put your stone in there just before you put the pizza in.  If the bottom burns again you have waited too long.  If the top burns you didn't wait long enough.

I know the pan as a heat sink and the tin foil trick work for Jeff Varasano, but I have never been able to get the consistently good results he does with those methods.

Scott,

I usually do make my own dough.  I ended up buying some from the pizzeria because I was short on time.  I'll be sure to use my dough for my next trial.

A few days ago I tried putting the stone about 10 mins before I put the pizza in.  It didn't work out so well because it wasn't hot enough.  I'll try again now that I have an IR thermometer and will be able to get a better feel for what's going on. 

Raj 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 05:51:36 AM »
Interesting, 5 min in my oven with my stone is perfect.  It must be that I got lucky and the thin stone I happened to have is the perfect brand for my system.

Now I wonder if my system will work as well with thicker stones.

I would imagine you will find the magic number for how long to leave it in there and you will soon be in business. I can't wait until you get a perfectly charred pie.   You are getting close I promise. 

Good luck!!!!

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »
raji,

First of all, from the photo in your first post, it looks like you have a gas oven?  Is this true?  If so, do you have a burner in the top of the oven?  If so, does this burner run during the clean cycle?

If your oven is actually electric?  Same questions:  Do you have a element in the top of the oven?  If so, does this element run during the clean cycle?

The top burner/element should help the top of pizza cook more quickly, but will also cause stone to heat faster.  The foil trick should help reduce the heat radiated from the top element.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 09:02:29 AM »
raji, You need to make your own dough without sugar or egg. If there is any sugar in there it will definitely burn on the bottom. Many pizzerias use sugar in their dough, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there even if you don't taste it. Eggs would probably do a similar thing, but I don't know first hand, I am just assuming.

Scott,

You are correct on this. Egg is often used to get better color. Under your circumstandes (and raji's), it is perhaps best to also avoid milk products, such as dry milk and dried dairy whey, at least until some measure of success is achieved.

Peter

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »
Raji:

The next thinking could be out of topic.
You would like to take a look on the temperature conduction of your stone surface.
Assuming that you are using an iron plate in place of the stone (just an extreme example), this plate could reach similar or equal final temperature that the stone, when in a hot oven. However, in trying to bake the dough on this plate, the higher temperature of the plate will be conducted in a really short time to the bottom of the dough, burning it.
Is your stone of a recognized blend?
I did bake in brick-oven, stone and tiles in home oven, at different temperatures and had never experienced the bottom of the dough burned.

Luis

pizzapan