Author Topic: Latest Efforts (Pics Attached)  (Read 6100 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Latest Efforts (Pics Attached)
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 05:51:36 AM »
Interesting, 5 min in my oven with my stone is perfect.  It must be that I got lucky and the thin stone I happened to have is the perfect brand for my system.

Now I wonder if my system will work as well with thicker stones.

I would imagine you will find the magic number for how long to leave it in there and you will soon be in business. I can't wait until you get a perfectly charred pie.   You are getting close I promise. 

Good luck!!!!

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »
raji,

First of all, from the photo in your first post, it looks like you have a gas oven?  Is this true?  If so, do you have a burner in the top of the oven?  If so, does this burner run during the clean cycle?

If your oven is actually electric?  Same questions:  Do you have a element in the top of the oven?  If so, does this element run during the clean cycle?

The top burner/element should help the top of pizza cook more quickly, but will also cause stone to heat faster.  The foil trick should help reduce the heat radiated from the top element.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 09:02:29 AM »
raji, You need to make your own dough without sugar or egg. If there is any sugar in there it will definitely burn on the bottom. Many pizzerias use sugar in their dough, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in there even if you don't taste it. Eggs would probably do a similar thing, but I don't know first hand, I am just assuming.

Scott,

You are correct on this. Egg is often used to get better color. Under your circumstandes (and raji's), it is perhaps best to also avoid milk products, such as dry milk and dried dairy whey, at least until some measure of success is achieved.

Peter

Offline PizzaBrasil

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 09:58:19 AM »
Raji:

The next thinking could be out of topic.
You would like to take a look on the temperature conduction of your stone surface.
Assuming that you are using an iron plate in place of the stone (just an extreme example), this plate could reach similar or equal final temperature that the stone, when in a hot oven. However, in trying to bake the dough on this plate, the higher temperature of the plate will be conducted in a really short time to the bottom of the dough, burning it.
Is your stone of a recognized blend?
I did bake in brick-oven, stone and tiles in home oven, at different temperatures and had never experienced the bottom of the dough burned.

Luis