Author Topic: My best NY style  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My best NY style
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2006, 12:46:04 PM »
This is the Fibrament website: http://www.bakingstone.com.

Peter

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »
I have also used my SS grill to cook pies and the taste is awesome while cooking
around 700.  Sometimes I even throw a small chunk of hickory in to give the cheese a delicious
smoky flavor.   However, I have cracked three pizza stones cooking on the grill.  Is there any
stones/tiles that can survive the higher heat?

From what I have come to understand, it is not the heat that cracks the stone but the exposure to direct flame. I have a Fibrament stone and I bought the one for use on a grill. The only difference between that one and the "regular" stone is the grill use stone comes with an aluminum heat sheild. It is nothing more than a round pie tin (I am guessing about 1/32" or .032 thick) with a flange that you simply set the stone in. The problem for me is that the grill lid just barely closes when using the shield and by the time the grill comes to temperature, the shield has expanded to the point where the grill lid will no longer close, it interferes with the expanded shield so I don't get a good seal with the lid.

Another method that has worked very well for me is using the unglazed quarry tiles covering the grill and then using aluminum perforated pizza pans on top of the tiles. Cooks pizzas in about five minutes (or less depending on ambient temperature). The tiles will crack but I just puzzle them back together each time I use them. After they cool I just remove them from the grill surface and store on the side shelf until next time.

Dan

Offline raji

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 09:42:18 PM »
Dan,

I'm considering doing something similar.  Instead of using a perforated pizza pan, I'd like to substitute a pizza screen.

You mentioned your pizza cooks in about 5 mins.  Do you know what the temperature of your grill is? 

-raj

Offline PizzaDanPizzaMan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 11:18:09 PM »
Dan,

I'm considering doing something similar.  Instead of using a perforated pizza pan, I'd like to substitute a pizza screen.

You mentioned your pizza cooks in about 5 mins.  Do you know what the temperature of your grill is? 

-raj

Raj,
I can only guess that the temperature at the tiles is well over 500* but how much over I don't know. The grill lid has a temp gauge that will read over 450* on a hot summer day, I imagine if left with all burners on high for an hour or so it would easily reach 500 but I also would think  that the temp on the stones is considerably higher. I would like to invest in a infra-red thermo and maybe I will put it on my wish list. Further I have considered buying some thermal blankets to throw over the lid and also cover the opening in the back, although I have some concerns that it may actually overheat the entire unit and I don't know what the results of that would be but that would certainly add an additional element in getting and maintaining a higher heat level.

In the end however, I am dreaming about a wood-fired oven in my backyard so I need to consider just how much success I want to achieve on my grill. :-D

PS. I would think the screen would possibly work even better than the pan since you will be that much closer to the tile surface. I acutally have cooked a few pizzas directly on the tiles and they came out exceptional. The only reason I don't do it on a regular basis is my grill surface is a little small and I can only get two 12 x 12 tiles to fit. Therefore using a 15" pan on top is not a problem but sliding a 15" pizza on top of 12 inches of stone just won't work.  :o

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Dan
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 11:25:32 PM by PizzaDanPizzaMan »

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 04:05:39 PM »
The only reason I don't do it on a regular basis is my grill surface is a little small and I can only get two 12 x 12 tiles to fit. Therefore using a 15" pan on top is not a problem but sliding a 15" pizza on top of 12 inches of stone just won't work.  :o

Dan, before I bought a large peel for building my pies, I used the back of a cutting board, which was 12 x 18, so I made 10 x 14(or 16) inch pies.  Make a nice 10 x 18 inch pie.  The only downside is that they cut wierd. 

Jack