Author Topic: How Do I Use Ischia in Real Time to make dough?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: How Do I Use Ischia in Real Time to make dough?
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2014, 01:50:39 AM »
Thanks for the help Scott. I guess I'm not really sure I'm trying to make Neopolitan. I just wanted to try some pizza with SD crust. I may be confused in that by definition, SD crust pizza IS Neopolitan.

Anyway, my oven, a Viking was somewhat expensive but that doesn't make it good. Had lots of problems with it and would not recommend them. On the other hand, my Wolf has been a work horse without a hiccup in nearly 20 years. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a broiler.

Here are some pics of my Viking broiler element:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:53:00 AM by drmatt357 »

scott123

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2014, 03:25:40 AM »
Sorry, Dr. Matt. I saw 'Ischia,' and Craig's workflow being mentioned and I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Caputo and SD are browning inhibitors.  Both, imo, are ideal for a very hot baking environment.  Even SD, on it's own, is more suited to Neapolitan than NY.

I have to admit that I'm a bit biased.  SD NY, in the commercial world, basically doesn't exist.  I would think that if it could make a world class pie, even if it were a bit of a hassle to work with, someone, somewhere, would have taken the baton, ran with it, and marketed the heck out of it.

I just don't see it as a good fit. NY greatly favors cold fermentation and 4-6 minute bake times.  SD, on the other hand, seems to really clash with refrigeration.

It also doesn't help that I've never seen an SD NY pie that matched up to the quality of the non SD pies that I've seen. This forum sees an inordinate number of Jeff Varasano fans who attempt to start their pizzamaking career making SD, so those beginner based failures don't help my perception much.  It might just be a matter of putting SD into the hands of someone with serious skills.

Even Jeff Varasano, who's primarily responsible for all this misguided SD NY fervor- Jeff, almost a decade ago, began his career doing cartwheels over NY style, but his SD pies are pretty much purely Neapolitan now.

Look at your non SD NY pies and your SD NY pies. I know you still have a lot of kinks to work out with the SD, but I'd be be pretty shocked if you were ever able to top the non SD with the SD.   I know this isn't going to make me a lot of friends, but those are my observations. On the other hand, with the right equipment, you could apply SD to Neapolitan and make something very different to NY, but still just as wonderful in it's own right.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:10:26 AM by scott123 »

scott123

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2014, 03:39:06 AM »
Re; the viking broiler, I've spoken, before, about guesstimating that about 1 in 300 people have strong enough broilers for Neapolitan.  You might be one of those lucky 1 in 300 people.  Do you have a cast iron pan that, if the seasoning were baked off, it wouldn't be a big deal?  I would put that (inverted) about 2-3" from the broiler and see, using the broiler to pre-heat it, how hot you can get.  Take temps of the top and the bottom of the pan.

If you can get that pan up to around 700, you might be in business.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:32 AM »
I think I could get it to 700 because the other night I took out a NY pie and forgot to turn the broiler off and after 3-4 minutes, my plate got up to 645 degrees.  How would I use this for Neoplitan?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
It also doesn't help that I've never seen an SD NY pie that matched up to the quality of the non SD pies that I've seen. This forum sees an inordinate number of Jeff Varasano fans who attempt to start their pizzamaking career making SD, so those beginner based failures don't help my perception much.  It might just be a matter of putting SD into the hands of someone with serious skills.
Scott,

I'd be curious to know which examples of SD NY pies you have seen. Also, have you ever made a SD NY pie?

Peter

Offline cupcake

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2014, 11:53:26 AM »
Very interesting thread for someone who's also just getting into the SD world.

I see a lot of people referring to sourdo.com as their only option to get Ischia. Just want to mention that I bought mine from culturesfromhealth.com. They ship to USA and Canada. I'm in Canada and the cultures were delivered promptly within 3-4 days. Postage was pretty outrageous for Canada, but c'est la vie.

Also, they have decent instructions and videos for how to activate and maintain the various cultures. I've found them helpful.