Author Topic: Caffe Calabria - San Diego,CA  (Read 428 times)

Offline Tonio

Caffe Calabria - San Diego,CA
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:33 AM »
PLug for the Pizzeria, that appears to be secondary to the coffee.
http://www.caffecalabria.com/pizzeria/
Odd setup due to the coffee roasting room, the oven is the 1st thing you see entering the establishment. A little island workstation/ bench in front of the oven, I didn't even see where the pizzaolo pulled out the dough ball. He was slappy guy, literally slapping at least twice in the center. Not much of a cornicione, but the flavor was GREAT, the dough aroma, tomato. It was delicious!! Nice minimal leoparding & char, nice bottom browning. Very nice balance of ingredients. Back to working my dough & balance  :D
  We had the Margherita DOC ( w. buffala). Waiter even brought out some crushed peppers, and peppers marinated in OO. Enjoyed w/ A Peroni brew.

Check out the 360 walkthrough:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q&layer=c&z=17&sll=32.749206,-117.129920&cid=17076319565902341534&panoid=RejUmVKYz3LV2UU8x4vulQ&cbp=13,242.58241362104511,,0,0&ved=0CBcQ2wU&sa=X&ei=kcKyU7D2Bon7igKohYCIAw&gl=US&hl=en

I'll have to revisit Bruno's to make a comparison.

Tony

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:39:30 AM by Tonio »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Caffe Calabria - San Diego,CA
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
You reckon they bought that docker specifically to rest the peel on?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Sirius

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
I like the overall look of the restaurant....but the oven setup is really really strange

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
I took the walkthrough. Nice looking place. The thing that jumped out at me was that most tables had 1 person using a laptop.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
I took the walkthrough. Nice looking place. The thing that jumped out at me was that most tables had 1 person using a laptop.

Isn't that what you do in a coffee shop?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
With that oven I assumed it was a pizza place. I figured more restaurant/cafe than Starbucks.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
The oven looks like an afterthought.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 03:18:26 PM »
Must be. I have pizza on the brain lately. Putting Tapatalk on my phone hasn't helped. Saw the oven and ignored the coffee.

Offline Tonio

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »
The Pizzeria operation seems to be secondary, as everything is about the coffee. Hey Italians love the coffee right? The big structure behind the oven is the roasting and whatever else is required for coffee beans( not sure what else is involved- I only use a manual grinder for me coffee :-D) but I read that they are going to have a microbrew- brewed inhouse?  Where are they going to put it??? ???
Pizzaria hrs are 5-11 wednesday thru sunday.

The walkthrough was taken during coffee hours ( daytime ;D), so there were only java patrons.

The whole place is a L shape, really odd.  I sat on the left side of the oven ( looking at the oven), and its really cozy w/ neighboring patrons.

The peel actually was actually held up by the oven ledge ( handle end), so if someone is walking by, they could get hit by the peel when the pizzaolo has to do a 180 turn, good thing he appeared to be a lefty.  He launched on the left/ fire on the right- positon of looking at the oven. The pizzaolo is an Italian import along with the waiters-so I've read and witnessed by their accent.  Nice folks.

Another odd thing is they are right next to Il Postino- Italian restaurant.  Maybe their cooks are moonlighting @ Caffe Calabria?

Offline pauliegee

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
That place and that oven is the genesis of me using Stefano Ferrara ovens.  I was planning a vacation in San Diego and was looking for a place to go to for pizza while in the area.  I could not find a place that appealed to me, but I did spot Caffe Calabria which at the time had an Idle oven that I was told should be in operation by the time we arrived in Late Summer.  Well, they were way off.  Turns out they had no idea what the City would require of them before they could fire up the oven.  I followed their non-progress for the next couple of years while investigating what it would take to import an oven for the future PG's.  I recalled reading how Roberta's purchased a used oven and realized that it could be a good move financially and logistically to find a "pre-owned" oven here rather than importing a new one.  Remembering Caffe Calabria's struggles, I decided to approach the owner and see if he would be interested in selling me his still idle oven.  He said that he still planned on utilizing it, but could put me in touch with the oven builder.  He informed me that Stefano Ferrara had just started selling "mobile" ovens that were built in Naples and shipped in a completed state.  He also put me in touch with Michael McConnell of Via Tribunali in Seattle who already had purchased a number of SF ovens.  Michael gave Stefano and his ovens a strong endorsement and the rest is, as they say, history.

Ciao,

PG