Author Topic: Marcello's in Vancouver  (Read 1332 times)

Offline johnrbek

• I Love Pizza!
Marcello's in Vancouver
« on: June 25, 2006, 09:39:16 AM »
Was in Vancouver last week on business and came here for a good place to pop in for a pie... Marcello's came up, so I went over to check it out.   Before going over, I googled for other reviews on the web and found most saying that the pie was great, but the service wasn't.

A buddy and I arrived in the late afternoon and there were only a few other customers in.  They've got a nice big oven with a sun god type facade that sits in the middle of the restaurant...  It's a nice looking place..   The fire in the oven was a little low and I figured the oven might be running a little cooler since it we arrived between lunch and dinner.

We ordered 2 pies.. a Neopalitana that was basically mozz and anchovies and another (don't recall name) that had mozz, funghi, & prosciutto.  Both were OK, but I expect purists would find them sub-par.

We sat at the little bar area right in front of the oven.

The pizziaolo took a little long to shape our pizza's.  He used a rolling pin to roll it out (?).    Some additional hand shaping... From the motions it seemed like the dough was pretty elastic.   Nothing like what I experienced over at Patsy's in NY where a pie was shaped in around 5 or 10 seconds using hands only.

The pies were in the oven for around 3 minutes, which is pretty long in my opinion for a place that's got a nice oven.  I'm not sure if this is usual or just because we showed up at a slow time.  Periodically, while we were there, a chunk of fire wood was thrown in to keep the fire going, so it's not like they weren't maintaining oven temp...

The pies cames out with a dry crust and little if any charring on the bottom.    They tasted OK.  The funghi and prosciutto showed up with thinly sliced sweet ham instead of prosciutto, which is pretty dissapointing.

Overall, I'd give it a C- (would've been a D if they didn't have that cool oven in there).   If you're in Vancouver, it's probably worth a visit, just to check it out, but don't expect heaven.  I don't think I'll be back to Marcello's...  If anyone has another Vancouver recommendation, let me know..

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Marcello's in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 10:19:42 AM »
Aaghh!!! A rolling pin!!??!?  They oughta just take the guy out in back and shoot him.  A rolling pin destroys the structure of the dough.  It pinches the rim so you don't get the classic fat soft edge.  What did this guy think he was making, a cherry pie?

Enough for this rant.

Offline JPY

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Marcello's in Vancouver
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 01:33:03 PM »
I hear that INCENDIO'S, 2118 Burrard St, in Vancouver is pretty good. I have not been there personally however.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:41:51 PM by JPY »
-JP-