Author Topic: same day dough+7 mile bike ride+in fridge 24hrs  (Read 464 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
same day dough+7 mile bike ride+in fridge 24hrs
« on: July 04, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »
Yesterday I went into my classroom/bakery/pizzeria and met with a woman that wants to volunteer next school year.  She is from a deep culinary backround and her kids have followed with it.  So I figured I should feed her lunch.  Not having any dough on hand I made a 1 cup flour IDY starter the night before.  I used my normal formula and lowered it to 4 dough balls.  I did this pie the eyeball method with the water because the starter was the consistency of a thick pancake batter.  They rose for 3 hours on the bench and the results were very reminiscent of my childhood pizzas in NJ/NYC - the yeasty smell of the white crust, and blandish flavor.  The sauce and cheese really jumped out due to this.   I pushed the bake as far as I could to try and get some browning on the crust without burning the bottom.  My guest loved it and I told her she needs to come back when we have 4 day dough.  She took 2 pies home because her daughter, who works with the diners, drive in, dives, food network show was flying home for the 4th.  I told her to please explain that is not our normal crust :)  Her son is a chef at the top Disney hotel in Florida and a graduate of the culinary institute of america (napa campus) and he will be in for some pie next month when he comes home for a visit.  So it was hard for me to let the pies go but what the heck the same day doughs were good enough for the NJ/NYC scene for decades........  She is going to ask her daughter about getting us on the food network.  I took one pie home that I sliced and stacked into a plastic bag.  The bag went on my bike grocery side bag for the 7 mile pedal home(old school delivery :-D), and then in the fridge last night.  They all stuck together and I carefully peeled one off as best I could. I heated this slice up for lunch today on a skillet.  Walter
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:49:55 PM by waltertore »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Re: same day dough+7 mile bike ride+in fridge 24hrs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
Yesterday I went into my classroom/bakery/pizzeria and met with a woman that wants to volunteer next school year.  She is from a deep culinary backround and her kids have followed with it.  So I figured I should feed her lunch.  Not having any dough on hand I made a 1 cup flour IDY starter the night before.  I used my normal formula and lowered it to 4 dough balls.  I did this pie the eyeball method with the water because the starter was the consistency of a thick pancake batter.  They rose for 3 hours on the bench and the results were very reminiscent of my childhood pizzas in NJ/NYC - the yeasty smell of the white crust, and blandish flavor.  The sauce and cheese really jumped out due to this.   I pushed the bake as far as I could to try and get some browning on the crust without burning the bottom.  My guest loved it and I told her she needs to come back when we have 4 day dough.  She took 2 pies home because her daughter, who works with the diners, drive in, dives, food network show was flying home for the 4th.  I told her to please explain that is not our normal crust :)  Her son is a chef at the top Disney hotel in Florida and a graduate of the culinary institute of america (napa campus) and he will be in for some pie next month when he comes home for a visit.  So it was hard for me to let the pies go but what the heck the same day doughs were good enough for the NJ/NYC scene for decades........  She is going to ask her daughter about getting us on the food network.  I took one pie home that I sliced and stacked into a plastic bag.  The bag went on my bike grocery side bag for the 7 mile pedal home(old school delivery :-D), and then in the fridge last night.  They all stuck together and I carefully peeled one off as best I could. I heated this slice up for lunch today on a skillet.  Walter
You would be perfect for that TV show.  I could just see Fieri munching down on some all-you-can-eat pizza feast and the kids cheering in the background.  Good luck Walter.  I hope it works out for you.
Dave

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:16:31 PM »
You would be perfect for that TV show.  I could just see Fieri munching down on some all-you-can-eat pizza feast and the kids cheering in the background.  Good luck Walter.  I hope it works out for you.
Dave

Thanks Dave!  I sent Bobbie Flay a throw down challenge too.  Guy was running Johnny Garlics, before he got famous on food network, in Santa Rosa CA while I was running a similar program there.  Maybe he will remember us?  Walter

Offline jkb

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 01:49:29 AM »

Thanks Dave!  I sent Bobbie Flay a throw down challenge too.  Guy was running Johnny Garlics, before he got famous on food network, in Santa Rosa CA while I was running a similar program there.  Maybe he will remember us?  Walter

Guy is one of those people everyone loves to hate.  I don't get it.  He seems like a genuinely nice person and goes above and beyond to support worthy causes.  Your operation would be perfect for DDD.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 02:00:47 AM »
Guy is one of those people everyone loves to hate.  I don't get it.  He seems like a genuinely nice person and goes above and beyond to support worthy causes.  Your operation would be perfect for DDD.
I think Guy is the Bruce Springsteen of Flavor Town...he is so obviously the real deal.
Had no idea folks love to hate him...that is sad.

cb
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:11 AM »
jkb and CB:  Thanks!  I lived in Santa Rosa when he was entering the food network contest which gave you a pilot series.  He won and has been rising ever since.  I never got to know him but what I did hear about him back then was all good.  He came to the high school I was working at in Petaluma CA to give a hello to all right when he won the contest.  He was in a limo and the kids went crazy.  Walter

pizzapan