Author Topic: NY Best Pizzeria  (Read 649 times)

Offline jeffereynelson

NY Best Pizzeria
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:40:14 AM »
Just saw this article on Yahoo from a few days ago. Has anyone heard of this place?  :-D

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/is-this-new-york-citys-best-pizza-if-you-want-a-90095365267.html

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: NY Best Pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:51:48 AM »
At least he was not burning them that day.   :-\

cb
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:30:52 AM »
I can smell the yeast over here in LA.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
I think what he does is great.  He makes the pizzas (not a bunch of brand new off the street virgins like so many other legendary pizzerias do), is doing it his way, take it or leave it, and is getting, and has continually gotten, top reviews, long waits, and people from all over the world coming there to eat and are satified.  His prices are off the chart high but people still pay with no complaints.  Not many pizzerias can lay claim to that.   I say he deserves all the good stuff he gets.   I grew up in shops like that in the Newark NJ area, and learned from an Italian immigrant who did things much like Dom does and I hope someday to carry on this one guy and family only working the shop when I buy my own and am retired from my current school teacher/bakery/pizzeria gig .  It is real easy to sit at home and make a pizza a week,and analize it to the nth degreee, and put guys like this down.  Walter
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:50:32 PM by waltertore »

scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »
Walter, considering the seemingly countless hours that you've spent proving the vast superiority of long fermented pizza, I'm a little amazed that you'd go so far to defend a pizza that's only been fermented for an hour or two.

As you're aware, fast, same day ferments have historically been the norm in NY, so it's not that out of place for NY's most famous and most expensive pizzeria to go this route, but, if someone's paying $5 a slice, they should be getting the best pizza in NY, and a 1-2 hour ferment, as you're well aware, doesn't make the best pizza.

Combine the woefully short ferment with well documented issues with filth/vermin/health department closings, burnt pies and ridiculously long waits, and I'd be hard pressed to find a pizzeria less deserving of esteem.

Popularity doesn't equate with quality.  Tourists, as proven time and time again, will pay top dollar for just about anything. Lombardi's is still packing them in with some of the worst pizza in the city. Not that it's the tourist's fault that DiFara's is such a major trap.  It's really the bloggers who should be ashamed of themselves.  They get caught up with Dom's sweet disposition and theatricality and completely lose sight of pizza's core attributes.

DiFara's is, imo, everything that's wrong with NY.  In many ways, it's no longer a city, but a theme park ride. Everything's pretty on the outside, but, at it's core, it's empty.  Soulless flavorless city, soulless flavorless crust.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:32:18 PM by scott123 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
Scott,

I wish you wouldn't be so wishy-washy  :-D.

From a conversation I had with Domenic many years ago, he was well aware of the benefits of a long fermentation. But seeing how well his pizzas sold, he did not see a reason to make changes. To his credit, he did use some of the best and highest-quality ingredients available. But those in the know couldn't be faulted for viewing what Dom did as putting lipstick on a pig.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »
I did not put the `man` down, nor his work ethic and all that old school fuzzy charm stuff.

I`m talkin bout ths......http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/11/5-dollars-is-too-much-for-burnt-pizza-at-di-fara.html

Could you in good conscience take 5 bucks from someone for that??

cb
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:44:03 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
 I take it back and sorry if I offended anyone.  I was feeling sorry for the old man.   I never have had his pizza.  I do like his family, small shop, take it or leave it pricing.  That part I am behind.  Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 05:10:24 PM »
I take it back and sorry if I offended anyone.  I was feeling sorry for the old man.   I never have had his pizza.  I do like his family, small shop, take it or leave it pricing.  That part I am behind.  Walter
Believe me, no need to feel sorry for that millionaire `old man`.  And his family do not help the situation....GREED man.     ::)

cb http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60827-d444318-r195687607-Di_Fara_Pizzeria-Brooklyn_New_York.html

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Believe me, no need to feel sorry for that millionaire `old man`.  And his family do not help the situation....GREED man.     ::)

cb http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60827-d444318-r195687607-Di_Fara_Pizzeria-Brooklyn_New_York.html

Bob:  That 1 review was pretty bad. I will have to check out his place someday for myself.  Part of me has a love for same day dough because I was raised on it.  That blandish, yeasty flavor... Since joining this forum I discovered the multi day dough and am hooked.  I didn't make it into NYC that much seeing it was only a few minutes away because I found great food in my NJ neighborhood.  Walter

scott123

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 05:35:53 PM »
No offense taken, Walter. I have no doubt that the future pizzeria you're envisioning running will be very DiFara-ish in atmosphere, but, cleaner, and with WAY better pizza :)

If there's anywhere on the planet that should understand the folly of DiFara's, that should be screaming 'Don't go to DiFara's!" the loudest, it should be this community. In the past, we may have had a member or two that was pretty proud of the quality of product they could coax out of an emergency dough, but I've never met anyone on this forum who didn't think longer ferments made a superior pizza. On just about every topic, there's dissension, but, when it comes to long ferments, we are a unified voice.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 05:54:23 PM »

If there's anywhere on the planet that should understand the folly of DiFara's, that should be screaming 'Don't go to DiFara's!" the loudest, it should be this community.

This reason alone is the key I believe. Like peter posted earlier, the owner said he he didn't see a reason to change. At the end of the day every person running a pizza establishment should be doing so to serve their customers. If not, just keep making it at home.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
No offense taken, Walter. I have no doubt that the future pizzeria you're envisioning running will be very DiFara-ish in atmosphere, but, cleaner, and with WAY better pizza :)

Thanks Scott!  I had no idea he had Board of Health Issues.  Being a school we are inspected 3 or more times a year by the BOH, once a year by the Ohio Dept of Agriculture, and once a year by the FDA.  So far we have not had a single violation.  I hate a dirty kitchen.  Walter

scott123

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »
Walter, here's a little background on DiFara's brushes with the health department:

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/11/di_fara_doh.php

The NYC BOH can be corrupt, political and, at times, completely clueless about actual food safety, but... based on reviews I've seen of DiFaras condemning their level of cleanliness, I think the report is truthful.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 08:01:15 PM »
I had wanted to try Di Fara's pizza.  The post about when my daughter went to purchase me a pie is at Reply 23 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9005.msg102433#msg102433 

Peter's post about his visit to Di Fara's is at Reply 122 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=504.msg11222#msg11222 Peter's post about the cleanliness is at 124 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=504.msg11231#msg11231

This is another thread about Di Fara's http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9005.0

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
I ate there a couple years ago. I enjoyed the pizza. I can't say the same for the pie at Lombardi's on the way back.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17056.msg166084#msg166084
Pizza is not bread.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »
Walter, here's a little background on DiFara's brushes with the health department:

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2011/11/di_fara_doh.php

The NYC BOH can be corrupt, political and, at times, completely clueless about actual food safety, but... based on reviews I've seen of DiFaras condemning their level of cleanliness, I think the report is truthful.

Wow that is shocking.  I doubt I will go there after reading that stuff and what Norma posted.  I thought the put down on him was all about his same day dough.  Walter

Offline jim s

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »
cb's link from SE/slice looks exactly like what my daughter and I were served about 3 months ago.

The SE link is 5yrs. old, DeMarco's been burning pies for at least 5 F***ING YEARS! And charging $5/slice and $32-38 for whole pies.
Are you trying to tell me that "sweet old man" doesn't know what he's selling?
And it is FILTHY! The only reason the pizza/briquettes are safe to eat is because fire kills everything.
If DiFara's wasn't "DiFara's" it would be closed in a month.

DiFara's is epitome of The Emperor's New Clothes.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 04:25:43 PM »
cb's link from SE/slice looks exactly like what my daughter and I were served about 3 months ago.

The SE link is 5yrs. old, DeMarco's been burning pies for at least 5 F***ING YEARS! And charging $5/slice and $32-38 for whole pies.
Are you trying to tell me that "sweet old man" doesn't know what he's selling?
And it is FILTHY! The only reason the pizza/briquettes are safe to eat is because fire kills everything.
If DiFara's wasn't "DiFara's" it would be closed in a month.

DiFara's is epitome of The Emperor's New Clothes.
Google images shows him burning pies even 10! years ago.  Too cheap to fix his ovens.
Why would you not hire a couple young, fun, chatty types to get in there and help you make it a real enjoyable experience for your customers instead of making them stand around waiting 3hrs in a filthy room??    GREED baby!!   ::)

cb

pizzapan