Author Topic: Urgent Pizza/Crescent Conundrum  (Read 2337 times)

Offline jasonr

• I Love Pizza!
Urgent Pizza/Crescent Conundrum
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:48:49 AM »
Ok, so I have two things retarding in my fridge right now for a very important date tommorrow night:

1. Crescent Rolls
2. Pizza Dough

I really like this girl, so I want it to be perfect, but I have a problem that I cannot seem to solve. I have one oven. Both the pizza and the crescents are best served approximately 5 minutes out of the oven. The crescents, like the pizza, MUST be served warm. You see the problem.

The crescents bake for 20-25 minutes. The pizza bakes for 10 minutes, but of course the stone has to be pre-heated for 45 minutes before the pizza goes in, so you might as well consider the pizza baking time to be 55 minutes.

So what do I do? It seems like one of them will have to be sitting on a counter for as much as an hour! Is there any way to shorten this gap? I have been thinking about ways, such as pre-heating the baking stone in advance, taking it out, and then making the crescents, and then cutting the pre-heating time for the stone to account for its already warmed state. I thought about actually making the crescents with the stone already in the oven, but I am worried about the effect that will have on the crescents, which require precise baking at precise temperatures using steam, etc... I could make the pizza at the last minute and then bake the crescents while my guest has already arrived, but again, the pizza will naturally be sitting on the counter during this time, since we won't be eating pizza before bread.

If I have to bite the bullet and make one sit out, which should it be? How best to store the item without letting it get cold and/or soggy? What do you guys think can take the counter better, the pizza or the rolls?

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Urgent Pizza/Crescent Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 10:50:08 AM »
Jasonr - I'm not sure I understand.  If your concern is that the stone will be in the oven, that in and of itself should not affect the rolls.  Are you baking both items at the same temp?  If not, that could be a problem.  If you can bake at the same temp. you may be able to do both at once.  Obviously the aroma from the pizza may somewhat infuse the rolls.  As to temperatures, there was a posting yesterday(?) on baking pizza at lower temps than the 550+ we've assumed was correct.  Perhaps you could drop the pizza temp to that of the rolls and time them so they come out on schedule.  Given your setup I see no way of avoiding the issue if you have to bake one and then the other, particularly if you have to wait for the oven and/or the stone to heat up.

Bill

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »
You didn't post a crescent bake temperature, but the pizza is the star of the evening (most likely) so definitely work the crescents around it. The pizza needs to rest for a few minutes anyway. . . .

BTW you are talking about a lot of carbo's to impress a lady with. This optimist suggest that perhaps a nice Caesar or Greek salad with the pizza would make more sense and save the crescents for . . . . . . . brunch?? <Blush>

Jack
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 01:49:29 PM by Jack »

Offline jasonr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 01:28:06 PM »
The crescents start at 450, and then after 10 minutes, need to be reduced to 350. They also require the use of a pan full of water to generate steam. Obviously, baking both simultaneously is NOT an option.

I guess I could try to bake the crescents with the stone in the oven, but what effect would that have? A giant heat sucking stone between the element and the pan is not exactly an innocuous thing to have in an oven when you're baking something! Given the care I've put into preparing the crescents, I'm not crazy about the idea of throwing a huge wild card like that into the mix.

The crescents are as important as the pizza, and will not be sacrificed (I don't have anyone to give the crescents to, so they either get served tommorrow or they go in the garbage). For salad, I am making a caprese salad.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
Bake the crescents for breakfast.  >:D

Bill/SFNM

Offline jasonr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 04:38:33 PM »
Who and what army is supposed to eat them? :)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 04:52:40 PM »
A cool idea is to rig up an old fasioned warmed bread basket. Basically this is a wicker basket with a heating pad and a large linnen table napkin that covers the heating pad. Once the rolls are baked, they are nested in the warmed basket via the heating pad on low to medium and covered with another table napkin to keep the heat and some moisture in.

Since I'm unsure of the crust on your crescent rolls (crisp or soft). I'm not sure that my suggestion is ideal.

They way you speak of them, I'm starting to think these are more of a croissant and not soo much crescent dinner rolls.

The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:34:26 AM »

While Lydia has come up with a solution, I, and I believe Bill, were suggesting that perhaps you and this lady would enjoy them together the next morning.

Jack

Offline Fio

• Cook it HOT.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 11:09:59 AM »

If you make the pizza good enough,  :chef: she won't care about the crescent rolls, and she'll stick around to have them the next morning for breakfast.  >:D
Since joining this forum, I've begun using words like "autolyze" and have become anal about baker's percents.  My dough is forever changed.

Offline jasonr

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 07:42:40 AM »
Well, for those familiar with my pizza dough collapse thread... it happened again :( And this time, the dough tore apart as I was trying to move it from the counter to my baker's peel, so there was no salvaging it. 1/2 pounds of mozzarella and aged cheddar in the garbage. I ended up cooking some pasta and using the sauce that was meant for the pizza on the pasta, so it wasn't a total loss. And the crescents were outstanding.

I guess this proves that my yeast is definitely not defective. I used the exact same jar to make the crescents, and they were fine. Oh yeah, and get this: I made the exact same pizza recipe on the weekend using the same yeast, and it came out just fine then. Clearly something is wrong with something I am doing in this recipe. But I don't see what it could be. I follow the recipe perfectly, every step. There really isn't anything I am doing wrong! The only difference between the weekend and what I did the other night was that this time the pizza got the maximum three days retarding in the fridge (totally in accordance with the recipe) and the last time, it only got 1 day.

Oh well, I will probably be going back to my old recipe. This one is completely unreliable. And I thought the Bread Baker's Apprentice was supposed to be a great book!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 08:26:44 AM »
jasonr,

I was tempted to respond to your last reply on this subject by saying that I still didn't think the yeast was at fault. But, with me sitting here in Texas, and you somewhere in Canada, it would have been presumptious of me to comment absent knowing precisely what you were doing with the recipe. I am not familiar with the Baker's Apprentice pizza dough recipe you have been using but I have a great deal of respect for Peter Reinhart, so for me the jury is still out on that recipe. If you don't mind listing the ingredients for the recipe and the steps you were using when the recipe failed you, I'd be happy to review them and see if anything jumps out at me. If you do this, please post on the other thread where you initially discussed this topic.

Peter

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 08:34:22 AM »
Well, for those familiar with my pizza dough collapse thread... it happened again :( And this time, the dough tore apart as I was trying to move it from the counter to my baker's peel, so there was no salvaging it. 1/2 pounds of mozzarella and aged cheddar in the garbage.

Jason, 

Are you forming the skin, putting the sauce & toppings on and then moving it to the peel or forming the skin moving it to the peel and then adding toppings.