Author Topic: Anyone here still reverse engineer?  (Read 348 times)

Offline hotsawce

Anyone here still reverse engineer?
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
If so, I have two new pizzerias I'm in love with.

For a slice: Park Luncheonette. What a great pie. (Also, Williamsburg pizza is awesome...)
For a square: Prince street pizza. Good lord.

I've got some more time to make pizza at home so I'll probably try hacking my way to close approximations of these places...but if you're in the NY area they are must trys!

scott123

Re: Anyone here still reverse engineer?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »
Lou, what's the bake time on Park Luncheonette?

Out of every commercial pizza I've tasted, mine is the closest to Williamsburg. The only difference is that my pie is a tiny bit more tender- most likely due to the slightly weaker flour I use (me: Spring King, them: All Trumps). I also use better (imo) cheese.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
I honestly don't know the bake time. I always grab from the window.

That being said, I can tell you the bottom of the crust is crisp, but not crunchy, and definitely not floppy. There is a nice, tender, chew about it. The cornicione is also crisp as well, with nice bubbles and structure inside of it. It's not really "moist," but you can see where the dough has expanded. If you fold it, it "crackles" and the blistered pieces of the cornicione shatter.

Hard to explain, but one of my favorite slices.

Lou, what's the bake time on Park Luncheonette?

Out of every commercial pizza I've tasted, mine is the closest to Williamsburg. The only difference is that my pie is a tiny bit more tender- most likely due to the slightly weaker flour I use (me: Spring King, them: All Trumps). I also use better (imo) cheese.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:57:30 AM »
As always, some reconnaissance would help. If you (or someone else) could take a trip to the bathroom and look for bags of flour or could tape a video of a skin being stretched/baked, that would go an incredibly long way in reverse engineering the PL pie.

Lack of floppiness/crispiness typically denotes a longer bake.  I'm looking through photos and can't even come up with an upskirt. From the top view, it seems a bit all trumpish- either all trumps or full strength. It feels very GM.

As far as Prince St. goes, this forum has some real Sicilian pros, but, unfortunately, none that presently live in NY (that I know of), and I think, when it comes to reverse engineering a pie like this, it really helps to have first hand experience eating it.

I'm sure one of the Sicilian experts will chime in, but, in the meantime, I might reach out to John Wozniak.  He's had plenty of exposure to Prince St. and knows Sicilian like the back of his hand.

pizzapan