Author Topic: Update on "Kitchen Nightmares" Restaurants (Gordon Ramsay)  (Read 662 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Update on "Kitchen Nightmares" Restaurants (Gordon Ramsay)
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
I found this update on the outcomes of the restaurants that were featured on Kitchen Nightmares:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674314/More-60-cent-Kitchen-Nightmares-restaurants-visited-Gordon-Ramsay-closed.html

Peter

Offline Montyzumo

• I'm here for Pizza
Re: Update on "Kitchen Nightmares" Restaurants (Gordon Ramsay)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
Interesting reading. It ran on a  similar line in the U.K. seasons, although
I think at least one restaurant remains open from each UK season. So US season 2 leads this way with 100% closures.

I really got bored with the shows format after the first couple of seasons, but recently got into Season 7 as Pantaleones, Denver, was on and their Pizza made me feel better about my own efforts!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
I still want to see Amy from the ABC episode of Kitchen Nightmares and John Taffer from Bar Rescue go after it. I'd pay to watch that.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
Interesting that so many continued to fail.  Those of you with more experience... Gordon clearly has it with the top end restaurants, no doubt about it.  The Michelin stars testify to it.

But I wonder, when he rolled up his sleeves after the locals tar balled up their restaurants, was his perscription(s) good ones?  Does he have the local market figured out?

Seems many lost even their base customers after his menu redesign.  I wonder if the recipe was off, or the owners were just too far gone psychologically, and too over the hump financially to relaunch/

What do you experts think?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 10:20:32 PM »
Show me a marriage counselor, for example, or any other consultant involved with a failing anything who can boast a 40% rate of success, and I will show you someone worth whatever it costs.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »
Well 2/3 of restaurant close within their 1st year. Very few make it more than 5 years.
The industry is very unforgiving. If you don't have deep pockets or the capacity to reinvent yourself you simply won't last.

Also keep in mind all of those shows are either scripted or manipulated so it appeals to viewer. What they show you and the reality are very different.
I think there was a thread that discussed the issue.
If they take the time to make a show with a celebrity chef it better bring some $  :-D
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:30:40 PM »
I'd guess Ramsey's producers gets called when the money is _almost_gone, and by the time he shows up, the coffers are empty.
By the rejuvenation day you have a restaurant running on empty, and unless the owners have more cash to invest, they face the same fate as any undercapitalized business.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:46 PM »
Well 2/3 of restaurant close within their 1st year.

That statistic, while accurate may be a bit misleading. 1/2 of restaurants probably never had a chance for any number of reasons and should never have been opened in the first place.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:30 AM »
1/2 of restaurants probably never had a chance for any number of reasons and should never have been opened in the first place.

^^^
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 08:36:57 AM »
 i agree that his success rate is pretty good. i do not watch his show but watch restaurant impossible (R/I) and you can usually tell who is going to make it. the restaurant owners that have big debt and are doing ridiculously low monthly sales can forget it. in our area R/I did two places and both are gone.
 that is why i never strayed from pizza, it is a food that crosses all social and economic boundaries and life time loyalty. when i go home to visit family i always get a Guido's pizza which i have been eating for over 50 years. still love it!!!!

pizzapan