Author Topic: Anyone have experience with this flour?  (Read 405 times)

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Anyone have experience with this flour?
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
I currently use Bouncer but saw this at RD and was thinking of trying it.  Has anyone used it and how do you like it?

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: Anyone have experience with this flour?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
I currently use Bouncer but saw this at RD and was thinking of trying it.  Has anyone used it and how do you like it?

I used it and bouncer (both unbromated) when we were living in CA.  It pales in comarison IMO to the GM All Trumps or Full Strenght.  Can you get the bromated flours in AZ?  I may be moving to NV at some point to open a pizzeria and am going to look into if they sell the GM bromated flours there.  Walter

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
Thanks Walt.  I haven't seen All Trumps here but I honestly haven't looked in all the places I could.  Is GM General Mills?  I will start looking.  I know Scott123 recommends that brand as well and I know he knows his... stuff!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

Online woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
Thanks Walt.  I haven't seen All Trumps here but I honestly haven't looked in all the places I could.  Is GM General Mills?  I will start looking.  I know Scott123 recommends that brand as well and I know he knows his... stuff!

I just bought some PFM Power and Mondako.
So far, having just tried the Power flour, I've been happy with the results.
The crust I get is much better than than with Gold Medal AP, probably better than KABF.

It seems like a popular choice in the Bay Area for the pizzerias that do a NY style.
I don't think they are allowed to use bromated flour here.

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
TomN of the famed dough made with beer thread seems to use that flour very regularly.
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:18:03 PM »
I have used Power Flour and I do like it.  It is a pretty strong flour, as the name implies.  I often will combine it with a percentage (maybe 25-30%) of AP flour. 

Online woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
I have used Power Flour and I do like it.  It is a pretty strong flour, as the name implies.  I often will combine it with a percentage (maybe 25-30%) of AP flour.

Yes, it will provide the crust with a bit of "chew".

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »
I've used Power flour a few times for NY style and at least once for Giordano's style, and I was pretty impressed with it, especially considering it is not bromated. I think it made my best Giordano's style pizza yet, which I've also made with Gold Medal AP, Pillsbury AP, and Mondako. If I couldn't get the bromated flours I prefer, Power would probably be my next choice.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:15:13 PM »
What tinroofrusted said.  It can be a bit chewy on its own but it's good flour especially for very thin crusts.  PizzaRev uses that flour in conjunction with a sheeter.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

scott123

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 02:57:42 AM »
Imo, bromated flour, ANY bromated flour, will always be better for NY style than unbromated.  If you live West of the Rockies, though, and are at the mercy of misguided lawmakers ;) then out of all the unbromated choices, I believe Pendleton is the top choice.  I have a working theory that millers that only do unbromated flour have a slight edge over millers that offer unbromated versions of their bromated lines.  For instance, if my distributor had bags of Pendleton next to bags of unbromated All Trumps, I'd go for the Pendleton in an instant.  The one small exception would be the unbromated Bouncer. Even though Bouncer comes in a bromated version, the unbromated version seems to produce solid results.  At this present time, for unbromated flours, Pendleton is top, with Bouncer/Bay State Milling in second place.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 03:03:37 AM by scott123 »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:41:30 AM »
Dr. Matt,

I have tried Power Flour and liked how it performed.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!