Author Topic: Organic San Marzanos  (Read 2074 times)

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
Organic San Marzanos
« on: July 07, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
Picked the first usable San Marzanos today.  We have a bunch more coming in...it's nice to see the fruits of labor.

http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Organic San Marzanos
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
Picked the first usable San Marzanos today.  We have a bunch more coming in...it's nice to see the fruits of labor.

Pretty. I'm going to try growing some SMs next year. My yellow tomato went nuts with fruit, but none of the red varieties did much. They grew really big but had only a few fruit.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:26:52 PM »
Pretty. I'm going to try growing some SMs next year. My yellow tomato went nuts with fruit, but none of the red varieties did much. They grew really big but had only a few fruit.

You had asked me in another thread for seed.  I'll have plenty in a couple months if you're still interested. 

That offer stands to anyone else too.  These plants are second gen, the originals came from Italy.

John Ruskin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
You had asked me in another thread for seed.  I'll have plenty in a couple months if you're still interested. 

That offer stands to anyone else too.  These plants are second gen, the originals came from Italy.

That would be great. Someone else sent me some too. I'd like to try more than one variety.
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:24:35 PM »
Craig,

Some years ago, I tried planting tomatoes where I am outside of Dallas. I also had problems with output. A friend of mine who was a professional landscaper and gardener told me that the hot Texas heat deterred bees and other pollinators from adequately pollinating the flowers. Sometimes the wind could do part of the job but there were days where there was little air movement. At my friend's suggestion, I got an artist's paint brush and pollinated the flowers by hand. It also didn't help that tomatoes are not indigenous to Texas. I used to get my tomato plants from farmers in East Texas who sold the plants at the Dallas Farmer's Market. I also had a problem getting the plants enough sun on my lot, so I made a dolly of sorts to put the tomatoes and other plants on and move the dolly with the sun. That meant using pots. If I was going to be out of town for more than a few days, I had to put the plants where the sprinkler system would water them. I eventually concluded that I perhaps spent the equivalent of $2.98 per tomato with all of the gear I had to use. And just about all my tomatoes ripened at the same time.

With the drought, I am on one day a week watering plan, per the orders of the city. So, it is not convenient to have a real garden. It is rare to see anyone in my area with a garden.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:15:40 PM »
I've gardened on and off down here for going on 20 years now, and the heat certainly is a challenge. I try to get the garden planted in late-February to early-March, and that seems to help some. We used to have lots of bees, but the last couple years they have all but disappeared - all across the area.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:18:22 PM »
stonecutter,

Your San Marzanos look great!  Do you feed your tomatoes anything?  I planted some but they are not ready yet.

I talked to Tim that owns Wampler's honey the other week and he said he is still try to figure out what is killing off a lot of his bees.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wampler-Honey/172460555861  Tim told me about colony collapse and other things.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
That would be great. Someone else sent me some too. I'd like to try more than one variety.

Ok, I'll let you know when then are ready.

John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »
stonecutter,

Your San Marzanos look great!  Do you feed your tomatoes anything?  I planted some but they are not ready yet.

I talked to Tim that owns Wampler's honey the other week and he said he is still try to figure out what is killing off a lot of his bees.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wampler-Honey/172460555861  Tim told me about colony collapse and other things.

Norma

Thank you Norma. 

I have to use RotStop occasionally, but since I have been watering more, I haven't got as much blossom end rot.  The soil in our garden was amended before we planted...with compost and peat moss.  The SM's in the picture aren't even washed, that's how they came off the plant.  They are a bit on the small side, but as long as I can get healthy fruit, I'm happy. 

Are you interested in any seed?

I read somewhere that Sevin kills beneficial insects...bees are on the list.

John Ruskin

Offline csafranek

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
I would love some seeds to try and plant. Let me know if your willing to send me some please.

Thank you,
Chad

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »
Sure Chad, I'll just keep track of who wants some on this thread and when I have seed ready, I'll pm for addresses.

John Ruskin

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 10:19:05 PM »
Thank you Norma. 

I have to use RotStop occasionally, but since I have been watering more, I haven't got as much blossom end rot.  The soil in our garden was amended before we planted...with compost and peat moss.  The SM's in the picture aren't even washed, that's how they came off the plant.  They are a bit on the small side, but as long as I can get healthy fruit, I'm happy. 

Are you interested in any seed?

I read somewhere that Sevin kills beneficial insects...bees are on the list.

stonecutter,

Thanks for telling me what you use to feed occasionally.  Maybe I have to water my tomatoes more.  I did not know that watering more helps blossom end rot. 

I agree that as long as they are healthy and beautiful looking like yours are that is all that is needed. 

Yes, I am interested in some seeds if you have any to spare. 

I don't know about Sevin, but Tim told me some beekeepers think the GMO crops are hurting bees.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline csafranek

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 10:19:21 PM »
Sure Chad, I'll just keep track of who wants some on this thread and when I have seed ready, I'll pm for addresses.

That would be great. Thank you very much for offering seeds to people! Very nice of you.

Thank you!
Chad

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 11:05:35 PM »
stonecutter,

Thanks for telling me what you use to feed occasionally.  Maybe I have to water my tomatoes more.  I did not know that watering more helps blossom end rot. 

I agree that as long as they are healthy and beautiful looking like yours are that is all that is needed. 

I don't know about Sevin, but Tim told me some beekeepers think the GMO crops are hurting bees.

Norma

I got serious reading about BER when I got these seeds....I didn't know lack of water contributed to that problem.  My wife is really the pro gardener, I only mess around with tomatoes, peppers and basil....I wonder why? ;)    We picked some nice eggplant last week and the jalapeņo peppers are doing great too...popper pizza!

Ok...so yourself, Craig and Chad are down for seeds.   Btw, I received like 54 seeds from my fellow forum member, and I hedged my bets by starting them all.  Every single one germinated, these are good seeds.  I was thinking 24 seeds or so...but  I can put more in if requested.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:47:37 AM by stonecutter »

John Ruskin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:10:18 PM »
24 is plenty for me. Thanks!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tonio

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 01:06:52 AM »
stonecutter,

Norma

BER - blossom end rot physiological problem, and is due to water / moisture issues e.g. swings in water/moisture retention. It actually causes the plant to steal the calcium within its uptake system to rob itself to the point it cannot metabolize/uptake the calcium, even if it is provided in the soil/medium.
Best preventative is to amend soil properly prior to transplanting, and keep mulched and soil /medium moisture level consistent. Biggest effect: keep the moisture level even as much as possible

Oh, and Bee colony collapse is from Imidacloprid or other neuro toxin pesticide use . Though most collapse is due to commercial farming pesticides, the build up use of pesticide use including home gardeners adds to the syndrome.

T

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »
BER - blossom end rot physiological problem, and is due to water / moisture issues e.g. swings in water/moisture retention. It actually causes the plant to steal the calcium within its uptake system to rob itself to the point it cannot metabolize/uptake the calcium, even if it is provided in the soil/medium.
Best preventative is to amend soil properly prior to transplanting, and keep mulched and soil /medium moisture level consistent. Biggest effect: keep the moisture level even as much as possible

Oh, and Bee colony collapse is from Imidacloprid or other neuro toxin pesticide use . Though most collapse is due to commercial farming pesticides, the build up use of pesticide use including home gardeners adds to the syndrome.

T

Yeah, that's what I found out when the first tomatoes showed BER.  I've dealt with it before with rot stop, but last year we had a wet spring/early summer and watering wasn't a problem.  When I dug into why, I found information about watering.   Next year I am putting in an irrigation system.

John Ruskin

Offline gfgman

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:00 AM »
Any idea how these seeds compare to store bought?  I got some San Marzano plants from a local grocery store, and I'venoticed that the seeds are widely available.  The big box stores and local nurseries all have them on their rack.  I was going to order some, but it looks like I don't have to. 

Offline Tonio

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »
Yeah, that's what I found out when the first tomatoes showed BER.  I've dealt with it before with rot stop, but last year we had a wet spring/early summer and watering wasn't a problem.  When I dug into why, I found information about watering.   Next year I am putting in an irrigation system.

Be sure to get the pre filter, so you don't plug up the emitters, and pressure compensating type for inline emitters.

A timer helps too, just in case your outta town or odd work schedules.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
Be sure to get the pre filter, so you don't plug up the emitters, and pressure compensating type for inline emitters.

A timer helps too, just in case your outta town or odd work schedules.

I have all that already, thankfully.... I have a filter right after the pump, and a really nice timer I used for my soaker hoses.  I'm not sure if I'm going to go drip or spray. Any thoughts?

John Ruskin