Author Topic: Flour selection for NH pizza.  (Read 353 times)

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
Flour selection for NH pizza.
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:49:03 PM »
Hey guys. Was just curious what the best kind of flour I can buy the New Haven style pizza that I can by in a regular grocery store. I really don't think I want 25 or 50lb bags of flour laying in my house as I don't think I will use it all the time. Any suggestions? How is Gold Medal Better for Bread? Or is there something better with a higher sorce of gluten around the 13% range?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:51:46 PM by Sanzz18 »

Offline scott123

Re: Flour selection for NH pizza.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:43:52 PM »
KABF. But it won't produce the quality of results that Full Strength can. It'll be close, but not quite as good without the bromate.

Some people start with KABF, are perfectly happy with it, and never graduate to the big leagues.  As a New Havenite, though, I'm confident that you'll eventually invest in the good stuff.  Nobody takes pizza as seriously as they do in New Haven :)

If you don't want a huge bag of flour lying around, find a food bank who'll take the excess or just toss it.  Even if you're only going to use a small fraction of the bag, you'll still be in the same ballpark for what you'll be paying for KABF retail.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:45:38 PM by scott123 »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:46:51 PM »
I've kept Caopto Pizzeria in my freezer for as long as two years with no noticeable change in quality. Is there a reason to think that bromated flour wouldn't store frozen equally well?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:57:41 AM »
Flour's particulate nature/huge surface area makes it an ideal freezer odor sponge. If it's stored in a thick enough plastic (maybe Ziploc freezer bags), then I think that would be okay.

The bigger barrier is that anyone with a single freezer would most likely not have the space for this much flour, necessitating a second freezer.  Some people have second freezers, but many don't.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:21:23 AM »
Thanks Scott, what brand is full strength flour? I searched for it in google to get a pic in my head but couldn't find anything. Also how long can flour sit out on room temp if I didn't have room to freeze or refrigerate it?

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
scott -  how would Spring King be for NH style?  I'm about to buy a bag (next few weeks) and I'd be willing to split it with Sanzz if he'd like.   If I remember correctly it was in the $20-25 range for the 50 lb bag. 

Offline caymus

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:59:01 AM »
Thanks Scott, what brand is full strength flour? I searched for it in google to get a pic in my head but couldn't find anything. Also how long can flour sit out on room temp if I didn't have room to freeze or refrigerate it?

I'm not Scott...but full strength is a General Mills Brand.  My 50 lb bag has just passed one year without any (at least to me) noticeable breakdown in quality.  I keep it in various air tight containers at room temp.

Offline Sanzz18

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
Thanks a lot caymus? Where can I get this flour never seen it in stores.

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 06:50:40 PM »
scott -  how would Spring King be for NH style?  I'm about to buy a bag (next few weeks) and I'd be willing to split it with Sanzz if he'd like.   If I remember correctly it was in the $20-25 range for the 50 lb bag.

Spring King would be just as good.  I tend to recommend Full Strength a bit more frequently these days because of it's availability.

Sanzz, if Deb is willing to split a bag of Spring King with you, I say, go for it. Go to the bakery section of your local supermarket, ask them for any large buckets with covers that they're throwing out, take them home, wash them and let them dry and they'll be perfect for flour use (and free).

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:13:13 PM »
If Scott gives the OK for Superlative, I'd say that might work, too. I bought my first bag of Superlative earlier this year, and I just love it. Bought it for NY style originally, just to get something with lower protein than All Trumps, but I've also used it for other styles (which I never did with All Trumps, even though I've gone through about 1,000 lbs of it), and I want to try it with even more styles. Expecting good results whenever I do use it for more styles.

Offline scott123

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 03:01:00 AM »
Yup, Superlative is great stuff. Any 13%ish protein bromated flour is ideal for NY/NH.

I'm coo coo for cocoa puffs over all the flours on my list:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31133.msg310078#msg310078

Offline caymus

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »

Finding a supplier can be difficult.  You can check with wholesale/bulk distributors in your area and see if they sell small quantities.  Mail order options exist, but shipping costs tend to be high.

I found an open to the public cash and carry store in my area (Springfield Mass) that carries GM Full Strength and other bulk items.  That would be a long trip from New Haven, but you may want to keep it as an option.

Offline scott123

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »
Finding a supplier can be difficult.

I'm confident that the Restaurant Depot in Orange carries full strength.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »

places that I know of in CT besides RD are :

Napoli Foods in Cheshire - they are right off 84 - exit 28.   They have a small showroom and do cash and carry.  Their website says they are closed on Saturdays but they are not, I think they are open 9-1.   The website has a product list.  You can buy anything in case quantity and the showroom has some items in smaller quantities.

Thurston Foods in Wallingford - I have not been here but they carry Full Strength and Superlative.  Their product list is on their website.  I noticed superlative has a 25lb size.

A Fiorillo , 396 Clark Street, Milldale, CT , 860.628.0358   they sell the Spring King and other flours , I can not find the product list I had but I think they sell what the other two don't.  they will do cash and carry.   No website.     They are really close to Napoli Foods

One thing that you might not know about buying flour in 50lb bags is that it is cheap.  With the exception of Caputo I think everything that I have bought has been between $15 and $20.   I have a food saver and vac seal in gallon bags.  When I have freezer room I put in there but if not it's just stored in the basement where it's cooler.

pizzapan