Author Topic: What's the Deal with Wood Peels?  (Read 706 times)

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
What's the Deal with Wood Peels?
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:10 PM »
Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me understand the basics with wood peels. I make pan pizzas and use two conveyor ovens. So I
am not so familiar with the wood peels. When I go to pizza conventions, I notice that the peels being used in competition have different size handles. What determines the desired size of the handle? Are there standard handle sizes? If so,what are he average handle sizes? I also see that there are various peel diameter sizes.I would imagine that the diameter is based on the size of pizza. So what are the most common pizza sizes associated with using the wood peels? What are the most common diameter peel for those pizza sizes?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:42:52 PM by EqualSliceGuy »
Greg Getzinger

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: What's the Deal with Wood Peels?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »
Hi All,

I'm hoping you can help me understand the basics with wood peels. I make pan pizzas and use two conveyor ovens. So I
am not so familiar with the wood peels. When I go to pizza conventions, I notice that the peels being used in competition have different size handles. What determines the desired size of the handle? Are there standard handle sizes? If so,what are he average handle sizes? I also see that there are various peel diameter sizes.I would imagine that the diameter is based on the size of pizza. So what are the most common pizza sizes associated with using the wood peels? What are the most common diameter peel for those pizza sizes?

they are square....not diameter
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:58:08 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
I would imagine that the diameter is based on the size of pizza. So what are the most common pizza sizes associated with using the wood peels? What are the most common diameter peel for those pizza sizes?

Probably the most common pizza size assembled on wood peels is 18", followed by 16". That would be mostly in NYC, which I'd say is the one place where almost every pizza joint uses a peel (specifically wooden). If your biggest pizza size is 18", you'd want an 18" or 20" peel. All smaller pizza sizes can also be assembled on the same peel(s). I think in NYC 14" is also offered at most places, as well as 10" in some places.

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:28:04 PM »
You use the wood peels to launch the pizzas into the oven, the dough doesnt stick very well to the wood so it slides very easily with a little bit of flour or cornmeal. 

Metal pizza peels are for taking the pizza out of the oven because it is thin so it slides right under the pizza.  metal peels are bad for launching into the oven because the dough sticks to the peel easily.. unless you get the GI perforated metal peel.

A long handle length is just so you can reach deep into an oven to get to a pizza.. if you only have a small 1 pizza oven, you only need a small handle.

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »
Posted by: Chicago Bob
on: Yesterday at 08:39:29 PM

you make pan pies and conveyor mcpizza....why ask about wood peels..

Why not Chicago Bob?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 09:02:46 AM by Pete-zza »
Greg Getzinger

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
Thank you Ryan, very interesting. Like your blog.
Greg Getzinger

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:52:24 AM »
Thank you Vnoz, I had a feeling the handle had to do with the size of the oven, but wasn't sure.
Greg Getzinger

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
EqualSliceGuy,

It also seems to me that practical considerations can dictate the length of the handle of the peel, such as the size and nature of the space around the oven, the oven's proximity to the work station, how many workers are likely to be in that space at one time, which workers will be working the oven, and so on. Some pizza operators will also select a handle length that allows them to prop the peel between the work area and the front of the oven. But the above factors will have to allow that.

In a home setting, a small, cramped, narrow kitchen with little space in front of the oven will usually necessitate a shorter than usual handle for the peel. In such cases, it might be necessary to cut off part of the handle of the peel.

Peter

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
Makes sense Peter, thank you.
Greg Getzinger

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »
When I read this title, I think of Seinfeld...  :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
When I read this title, I think of Seinfeld...  :-D
really   ;D

it`s made of wood....and it`s a peel.....what else is there too know?   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
I think there may be more to just a wood peel Chicago Bob. I am also learning that the wood peels are made from different hard woods, like Alder, Poplar and Rubber.

What I would like to also know is why wood peels are made from different hard woods? Is it because some woods are more durable, thus more expensive? Maybe it's because some are lighter than others?

Did you know some wood peels are made from rubber wood, which is primarily an imported product? I learned that from one of the other forum discussions.

So what's the deal with a wood peel Chicago Bob? Apparently more than you and I know.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:27:12 PM by EqualSliceGuy »
Greg Getzinger

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 08:45:16 PM »
EqualSliceGuy,

Since you want more information about wooden pizza peels I thought I would share what wooden peels I use.  I purchased most of mine from the Webstaurant Store.  The one I mainly use at market is this one. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/18-x-18-wooden-pizza-peel-with-24-handle/4074218.html  It is light weight and made of pine.  It is easy for me to use that wooden pizza peel.  I have cut off the handle because I can then hang it right next to where I open dough balls (I drilled a hole in the handle).  Since my market stand is only about 8 ' x 13' I need to keep my wooden peel handle shorter.  I only had to replace the wooden peel I use at market 1 time in over 5 years. 

I have some of the same wooden peels for use at home but some are smaller.  I also cut the one wooden peel at Reply 68 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26483.msg270488#msg270488  so it would fit into my Blackstone oven unit.  That wooden peel was retired from market.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
I think Bob was just referring to a joke about seinfeld.. the way seinfeld would say something..  just in pizza terms.  :-D

I have an epicurean pizza peel.  They are a lot more pricey then a regular wood peel.  And. i used it like once.. its heavier and feels like the handle would break with a lot of weight on it.  Supposedly they are water safe ( so you can thoroughly wash it when you accidently spill sauce all over it ).  They are also scratch resistant so you can cut on it.

Just get a GI metal perforated peel, nice and expensive.  Only double the price of the epicurean!

http://www.gimetalusa.com/catalogo_en.php

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »
Thank you Norma an Vnoz, I'm fascinated with the process and love to learn.
Sorry Bob, It's been a while since I saw a Seinfeld episode. I'd forgotten about his paradoxical humor.
Greg Getzinger

Offline kdefay

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 03:26:42 AM »
My peels are made of teak, yet are very lightweight.  Restaurant supply shops here rarely have what I need as they are primarily catering to Asian cooks (imagine that...).  I had to have them custom made. 
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

pizzapan