Author Topic: Stanislaus vs arrezzio  (Read 2208 times)

Offline voxgirl

• I Love Pizza!
Stanislaus vs arrezzio
« on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »
Trying to choose a sauce for our new shop...three of us like the Stanislaus Pizziaola but one likes the Arrezzio California prepared with oil. Any opinions, wisdom, etc?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Stanislaus vs arrezzio
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »
Arrezzio is a Sysco house brand. They could change packers and one day you open a can and it's not the same thing.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »
try a pie with oil added to the stan.?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »
Pizzaiolo hands down.

jg

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »
For NY style pizza, it would be hard to beat stan.....especially valoroso....sweet, firm, packed in puree, not juice.....its simply, in my opinion, the best canned tomato out there.

Offline EqualSliceGuy

• Lifetime Member
  • MMMM Pizza You Bet!
    • Portion PadL
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
We use the Stanislaus full red prepared pizza sauce of our pan pizza. Very good, always consistent. The company is very customer service
oriented. I receive a call from their corporate about every quarter, asking for feedback about their product. Want to talk to the top brass, go to the International Pizza Expo, they will take the time to sit with you at their booth to talk shop. I can't offer feedback for Pizzaiolo, but overall, very satisfied with Stanislaus.
Greg Getzinger

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:08:20 PM »
Pizzaiolo hands down.

jg

Pizzaiolo is crap, OK. It's not really a secret, either. Stanislaus has three different lines of product, and Pizzaiolo is in their Crap line. They created it specifically for snack bars and places that sell whole pizzas for $5. It says all this right on the label, although with more sales-friendly wording.

Offline JAG

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »
hmmmmm, o.k.

Offline JAG

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
Ryan,

Sauce is admittedly still one of my less traveled roads ::). Can I ask you what seasonings you use when you make yours, and what tomato base you use.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 07:15:32 PM »
hmmmmm, o.k.

(Having written most of this before your most recent post, I decided not to change it.)

Seriously. Go to Carfagna's and get a can of 7/11. They probably still have three cans left. If you think Pizzaiolo is remotely good after using 7/11 straight out of the can, then I guess you've spent too much of your life in central Ohio. Either that or you just think it's impossible to make truly great pizza at home. (It's not.)

If Carfagna's is too much of a hassle (say, if you live south of Columbus), then come over here and get a can from me; I have five cans of it. Since I was able to try a couple cans (out of the case Carfagna's ordered specifically because I asked for it), I now buy it by the case.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
full red is good stuff.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
Ryan,

Sauce is admittedly still one of my less traveled roads ::). Can I ask you what seasonings you use when you make yours, and what tomato base you use.

I was clueless about sauce for so long, even after I became what I thought at the time was pretty proficient with pizza. (I'm talking early 2000s, before the internet could really help in this department.) My first breakthrough was when I started using San Marzanos straight out of the can (processed), without cooking them. I stuck with that for many years, exclusively, mainly for NY style (or pseudo-NY style), as that's pretty much the only style I made until shortly after I started trying to clone Tommy's in December 2010.

When you start with good tomatoes or good tomato product, there's not really any need for seasonings. Most places here in Ohio don't start with good tomatoes or good tomato product. Consequently, to make their sauce taste at all good, it's usually necessary to add more than a few seasonings, which is why central Ohioans are likely to assume it's normal for pizza sauce to have a ton of added flavorings.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:59:27 PM by Aimless Ryan »

Offline JAG

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 07:43:45 PM »
voxgirl

Sorry, hope we aren't hijacking your thread. Going back to your original question I prefer Stanislaus products over Arrezzio.

Ryan,  I can probably round up some 7/11 but thanks for the generosity. So you don't use any spices or seasonings in your sauce, not a dash of garlic, or oregano, or anything?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »
I thought I said this already, but here's a very good, very simple recipe for NY style sauce:

28 oz 7/11
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
If you like garlic, throw in a chopped garlic clove

Definitely no more than 1/2 tsp of oregano, but it's probably OK to do considerably more than 1/2 tsp of basil. With oregano, I barely want to be able to tell it's there, and I'm willing to bet many or most NYC joints don't include it in their sauce. If I can tell oregano is there without first making an attempt to figure out what's in the sauce, there is too much oregano.

This sauce works great on other styles, too, simply because the tomatoes are so good. This is nothing like Tommy's sauce (or any other central Ohio pizza joint's sauce), but I've used it for Tommy's clones and they came out great.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 09:10:27 PM »
I thought I said this already, but here's a very good, very simple recipe for NY style sauce:

28 oz 7/11
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
If you like garlic, throw in a chopped garlic clove

Definitely no more than 1/2 tsp of oregano, but it's probably OK to do considerably more than 1/2 tsp of basil. With oregano, I barely want to be able to tell it's there, and I'm willing to bet many or most NYC joints don't include it in their sauce. If I can tell oregano is there without first making an attempt to figure out what's in the sauce, there is too much oregano.

This sauce works great on other styles, too, simply because the tomatoes are so good. This is nothing like Tommy's sauce (or any other central Ohio pizza joint's sauce), but I've used it for Tommy's clones and they came out great.

I'm waiting to hear what Scott thinks about dried basil for NY style sauce.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »
seen ny joints toss a pinch of dried cheese and a pinch of dried herb after they sauce the pie....just sort of throw it over the top....miniscule amount.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »

Oh, come on. You already know what Scott thinks. I don't need any kind of basil, so I'm fine with dry.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »
Dried basil is VERY different than fresh.  Fresh basil has a sweet taste and dried basil is quite bitter.  If you can't track down fresh basil I think that dried marjoram is far better choice.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 09:46:37 PM »
I didn't mean to portray myself as a pizza sauce authority, because I'm not. Basically I was just saying good tomato product is a good place to start. That and keeping it simple. I tried Pizzaiolo once and thought it was really nasty. I'd actually like to try it again, now that I feel a lot more knowledgeable about sauce than I was when I tried it, just to see if I still think it's nasty. However, I haven't seen it at Carfagna's in a long time, and I really don't go there much anymore, now that I get my 7/11 from a distributor. I pretty much only go to Carfagna's for sausage now, which I rarely need. (Great place to get sausage, by the way.)

scott123

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:40 AM »

*throwing my voice to the back of the room*

"and I'd like to know Scott's opinion on the quantity of dried herbs Ryan is using!"

Great questions, Jeff, and guy at the back of the room :)

Ryan, it's your sauce, you make it however you want to. I would hope, that at some point, you could not only make a pie without dried basil, but that you could serve up both versions to some testers in a blind taste test.

As far as the quantities go, just as a frame of reference, I use 1/16th t. oregano per 28 oz. sauce (and about the same amount of fresh basil).  I'm not saying that my way is better, but I have noticed a tendency for some commercial outfits to hide inferior tomatoes with extra herbs. For me, I feel strongly that the better the tomato, the less augmentation it requires, but, this is entirely subjective. If those quantities make you happy, go for it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:41:22 AM by scott123 »