Author Topic: Stanislaus vs arrezzio  (Read 1762 times)

Online JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Stanislaus vs arrezzio
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »
As far as the quantities go, just as a frame of reference, I use 1/16th t. oregano per 28 oz. sauce (and about the same amount of fresh basil).

Can you even taste 1/16tsp of fresh basil? That's gotta be like half a leaf?

If my tomatoes are good, all I add is a pinch of oregano, barely noticeable in the sauce.
Josh

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
*throwing my voice to the back of the room*

"and I'd like to know Scott's opinion on the quantity of dried herbs Ryan is using!"

Great questions, Jeff, and guy at the back of the room :)

I dang dern already said I uses 1/2 tsp dry basil per 28 oz of 7/11.

I don't have any kind of problem with anyone using fresh basil or suggesting fresh basil instead of dry basil. Although I don't usually use fresh basil, I have used it and I will use it again. And I may even come to prefer fresh basil in time. But right now I don't.

If you go back to Reply #9 (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32762.msg325361#msg325361), you'll see that I originally suggested trying 7/11 straight out of the can, using neither dry basil nor fresh basil. Also, particularly because JAG is apparently from my neck of the woods, I wasn't really talking about specifically NY style sauce. Rather, I was simply sharing a good starting point for how one might use 7/11 as a base for a sauce that can work with many pizza styles, specifically as an alternative to Pizzaiolo. The recipe I shared just happened to be the recipe I currently use for NY style.

Scott and I are both on the same page regarding most aspects of NY style pizza. I consider Scott by far the NY style authority around here, as well as anywhere else. I don't drink Scott's Kool-Aid in every situation, but sometimes he even stops drinking it himself and adjusts the flavor a bit (like he did after promoting soapstone for a while), which is a big reason why I think it's almost always OK to drink the latest flavor of Scott's Kool-Aid.

I was surprised when I started using oregano at all because I've never liked using oregano in pizza sauce (except when I'm trying to clone something like Tommy's, which obviously has oregano in the sauce). The reason why I started putting oregano in my NY style sauce is because when I first tried Walter's pizza I detected the tiniest hint of oregano, which I liked. Before that I was inclined to maybe tap a very small amount of oregano onto a slice once in a while, but usually not.

JAG, you should try to make it out to Walter's classroom sometime, at Newark High School. It probably wouldn't be a big deal to Walter, as I think he misses his classroom in the summertime (and wants people to come out, to give him an excuse to go back to school).

Jeff, I didn't mean to sound like a smartass in my reply to you. I probably should have added a smiley face or something.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
`dang dern`  ???

...is that you ryan?   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
I just caught this thread.   Ryan, thanks for suggesting Jag come out to my place.  He spent a day with me a month or so ago.  He is from Hoboken NJ and knows pizza.  We had a fun time making pies/talking Jersey :-D   He made some great pies at my place with our dough/ingredients.  He runs a mobile wfo that does a hybrid pie.  Walter

Jag wit one a pie  he made

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 02:16:38 PM »
Walter,

JAG (John) is a good and decent man who treats everyone with respect no matter the circumstances. I remember him from years ago on the forum, when he was kind enough to give me one of Big Dave Ostrander's dough recipes for one of Big Dave's many "Old Faithful" dough recipes. I even remember the post. It was at Reply 18 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=660.msg9727#msg9727.

I'm glad to see that he was able to visit and spend some time with you and to know that he is doing well.

Peter

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »

Jeff, I didn't mean to sound like a smartass in my reply to you. I probably should have added a smiley face or something.

No worries. I personally don't have a problem with you using some dried basil in the sauce. I just was posting it as a joke because I know scotts feeling about it.

In all honesty, a lot of people here are to much of purists for me. I think at the end of the day the most important part is that you like it. Just because it doesn't hold to one persons definition doesn't make it good or bad. I guarantee you there are NY places in NY using dried basil in the sauce. I can't name them, but with 50 million places in Manhattan alone, you know one or two is.

Offline bhopper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
Stanislaus

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
I just caught this thread.   Ryan, thanks for suggesting Jag come out to my place.  He spent a day with me a month or so ago.  He is from Hoboken NJ and knows pizza.  We had a fun time making pies/talking Jersey :-D   He made some great pies at my place with our dough/ingredients.  He runs a mobile wfo that does a hybrid pie.  Walter

Jag wit one a pie  he made

So he probably got some kind of anti-Pizzaiolo "lecture" from you, too, then? Now that I know he's much more experienced than I apparently assumed, I feel kinda funny for interacting with him as if he was more of a beginner. But Pizzaiolo is just so bad (to me). Whenever I see someone saying good things about it, and so confidently, I always assume they don't have much experience with other tomato products.

Now I'm curious. I'm sure I've noticed the handle "JAG" before, and I've probably interacted with him before, as well, although I'm not sure.

My memory doesn't work like it used to, and it's probably only gonna go downhill from here, for reasons at least a few of y'all may already know. Eventually my new posts will likely make no sense to anyone, so I just want to give a heads-up to whoever may be paying attention.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:08 PM »
So he probably got some kind of anti-Pizzaiolo "lecture" from you, too, then?

Ryan:  No sweat.  Jag is a skilled pizza maker.  I never tried that sauce so can't comment on it.  See you.  Walter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:49 PM »
how could ryan get a lecture if the one guy say`s he never even had it....
who`s on first?  who`s the pizziolio?
where`s my custom made 2 piece pizza peel?   8)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
Bob, is that you? Behind the knowledge? You look... trapped.

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:14 AM »
Guys,
This thread started out as a simple question of which product is preferred, a prepared Stanislaus or a prepared Arrezzio. In my opinion and my opinion only I say that I prefer Stanislaus products. It wasn't about who uses what seasonings, if any, besides, it is all a matter of personal taste or in some cases what your customers like, it's not always about what the maker likes but what the people paying for your product like.

Ryan is there a right or wrong to someones opinion?

How do you all feel about the Arrezzio products? Or, how about Escalon, is their product a decent product, I've tried several of their sauces, anyone else have an opinion, careful now, you could get a serious beat down for having an opinion.

JG

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »
Ryan is there a right or wrong to someones opinion?

Nope.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 10:29:39 AM »
John, try to sell me on Pizzaiolo. Explain what you like about it, as if you were trying to sell me some of it. In fact, pretend I'm you, and pitch it to me as you would pitch it to yourself. Here are the very obvious selling points, to me: 1) Each case is more like two or three cases, since it is so concentrated; 2) Very little prep work required; 3) The small amount of prep work is very easy (just add water and stir).

Seems like I had at least one other thing to add, but I forgot.

I'm not asking to be a smartass; I'm asking because I don't want to be closed-minded, which I know I have appeared to be throughout this thread. I'm asking in case my initial impression of Pizzaiolo was wrong or at least off the mark. I'm asking because I now know you were not raised on central Ohio style pizza, which makes a big difference, considering I responded to you as if you were raised on central Ohio style pizza. (I was raised on central Ohio style pizza. And having lived here basically all my life, I know how backward most central Ohioans' pizza tastes can seem to someone from the NYC area.)

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 12:00:53 PM »
Ryan, is it fair to say that Pizzaiolo is crap having only tried it once?
That's not much to go on right there...

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »
"Only having tried it once" = I bought a #10 can of it and used it many times. It was tomato paste with lots of added flavors every time, and it tasted like crap to me every time. That's plenty to go on right there. Still, I'm here begging someone to sell it to me.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 06:50:48 PM »
"Only having tried it once" = I bought a #10 can of it and used it many times. It was tomato paste with lots of added flavors every time, and it tasted like crap to me every time. That's plenty to go on right there. Still, I'm here begging someone to sell it to me.
you have to thin it with some water dude.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
Yeah, uh, I might have already figured that part out.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
Yeah, uh, I might have already figured that part out.
different concentration levels can dramatically change the cooked products flavor profile, you know.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
I guess it depends on what you like on pizza and what you have conditioned yourself to eating. I love Pizzaiolo and so do many other people. It's difficult to hear it referred to as crap.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg285546;topicseen#msg285546