Author Topic: Stanislaus vs arrezzio  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Stanislaus vs arrezzio
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
I guess it depends on what you like on pizza and what you have conditioned yourself to eating. I love Pizzaiolo and so do many other people. It's difficult to hear it referred to as crap.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg285546;topicseen#msg285546
don`t look like `tomato paste` to me.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 08:58:57 PM »
I knew Tom would chime in here sooner or later. ;D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
don`t look like `tomato paste` to me.

I guess it's not as thick as I remember. Still pretty thick, though.

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
Ryan, dude, I'm not here to sell you on anything, your taste is your taste, we all get it, you don't like Pizzaiolo. I really could care less if you put ketchup on you pizza and told me it was the best sauce you have ever had, that is your opinion and I would  have the consideration to not slam you for your opinion. It was a simple question to start this whole flippin thing, do you remember what it was? who likes what, pizzaiolo or arrezzio Cali. so, back to the original question, what do you think of Arrezzio compared to pizzaiolo?
JG

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »
OK, I guess I just won't try to understand or appreciate your tastes or thoughts anymore. I don't really care if you like Pizzaiolo, nor do I expect you to care if I like it. I'm still OK with talking about it, though, because it provides an opportunity for both of us to learn something, along with everyone else. I wasn't trying to put you down for liking Pizzaiolo. Also, I apparently missed where it said "Pizzaiolo" in the original post (or I just forgot), and I only saw "Stanislaus" because "Stanislaus" is clearly in the subject line of every post in this thread. So when you expressed such glee over what I consider to be Stanislaus's worst product, I was curious. I thought maybe I missed something somewhere long before this thread existed (like when I tried a can of Pizzaiolo several years ago), and I wanted to find out what I may have missed.

Since you are apparently unwilling to take a few minutes to explain what you think is so great about Pizzaiolo, I guess I'll take that as a sign that you have some kind of weird and unreasonable attachment to it (kinda like how I'm still a Bengals fan, I think, even though I can't stand the organization), and I'll just keep believing Pizzaiolo is horrible.

Offline JAG

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 11:21:45 PM »
I use Pizzaiolo because it works for what I do, and my clientele seem to like it as well but the sauce is not the focus of our brand. I'm not using it in a home situation, I need consistency, I can't have someone forgetting to add a seasoning or put in the wrong quantities or ratios. I am working a M-F job and doing 3 days a week mobile from May to Oct. and I can't oversee everything with the operation. I make all of our dough by hand, selling 300-400 pies a weekend at 3hr events over three days/week. I don't mind talking more about this sauce or your sauce or custom sauces but lets take it to PM an spare the rest of the members.

My weird and unreasonable attachment stands with the Dolphins. :-\

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 01:34:32 AM »
Voxgirl,

Whether you choose Stanislaus or Arrezzio, you can still play around with either and make it your  signature sauce for your pizzeria. i know many Pizzerias that do this. One pizzeria uses 2 cans of Pizzaiolo with 1 can of Al Dente pasta sauce (both made by Stanislaus). Another uses Arrezzio with more Fresh Basil. Another uses a can of 711 with a can of Saporito (again both Stanislaus). I talked with another pizzeria that like 711with oregano. It goes on and on.  You might consider calling Stanislaus and asking them to send out one of their local reps to help you in this process. Also, talk with your SYSCO or FSA  rep as well. They all want you to be successful and they will help you,  because when you are happy with your product choice,  you will continue to buy their products.  Hope that helps.

TomN
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:36:45 AM by TomN »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:20 AM »
Thanks JAG. We cool?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
TPT taco pizza thursday  :pizza:
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline JAG

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
Ryan, no problems, we cool.

JG

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2014, 01:57:52 PM »
TPT taco pizza thursday  :pizza:
nice pie!!

that crust makes me yearn for old skool PH thin.   :'(

scott123

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2014, 11:28:26 PM »
Here's my two cents on Pizzaiolo (for whatever they're worth). Here are the ingredients (bold mine)

http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/Pizzaiolo-Autentico-Pizza-Sauce.pdf

Vine-ripened fresh tomatoes, blend of extra
virgin olive oil and sunflower oil
, salt,
oregano, black pepper, granulated garlic and
naturally derived citric acid.

First off, there's never any oil in authentic NY style pizza sauce.  One or two places might drizzle oil on the pie pre or post bake, but never in the sauce. The oil diminishes the brightness of the tomato and takes away from the aesthetic. In addition, oil in the sauce adds overall oiliness to the cheese.  Good aged mozzarella should give off a healthy dose of oil- enough so that, when tilted downward, oil should drip off the point of the slice. It's standard operating procedure to blot the top of your cheese with a napkin to take off some of grease. At least, it was.  If you add oil to that equation, it's too grease-y. 

Second, some places use granulated garlic, but, anyone with any kind of culinary know how understands the superiority of fresh garlic.

Third, these are California tomatoes.  California tomatoes are always a little tart, always require a little sugar. 

There you have it, two ingredients I'd never use and one ingredient I always add (to California tomatoes).  And they expect me to pay extra for this than if I combined the ingredients myself?  Not a chance.

I know that the idea of a ready made pizza sauce appeals to a lot of people, but, here in NY, where cheap labor is relatively abundant and margins tight, you're not going to find many owners paying a premium for a sauce they can make cheaper themselves- especially a sauce that they can make better themselves.  I'm sure there's plenty of dollar store places that just default to ready made products like this, but no pizzeria with any kind of pride would stoop this low.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 12:03:46 AM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »
....always require a little sugar.
i put a lil salt on those cali`s

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »

First off, there's never any oil in authentic NY style pizza sauce. 

Scott,

I never tried the Stanislaus Pizzaiolo, but I disagree about adding oil to some other Stanislaus products.  Even Tom Lehmann discussed using oil in pizza sauce at Reply 165  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3735.msg237549#msg237549 and why oil potentially results in a better flavor profile.

I learned about using oil in a sauce when I first was learning to make pizza sauce from a local pizzeria near me.  The man that taught me to use oil with Stanislaus products came from Italy at the age of 14 and then worked for family in NYC for many years.  The family pizzerias he worked for in NYC did add oil in their sauce and they made NY style pizzas.  He also still adds oil to his sauce.  When he came here to our area his relative had him working for him at his pizzeria for a few years and then set him up in his own pizzeria.  They have different pizzerias in our area now and they all add oil in their sauces.  There is also another NY style pizza business I know of in our area that the man also worked in NYC first and they also made NY style pizzas.  He also uses oil in his sauce and learned that in NYC.

Norma
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:49:53 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »
Papa John's uses a pizza sauce that is made for them by Stanislaus but with added sugar and oil. The PJ sauce composition is given at Reply 493 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg260046#msg260046; As noted at Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6633.msg57765#msg57765, there are a few Stanislaus products that can be modified to be used for a PJ type pizza sauce. One of those products (but not the only one) is the Stanislaus Pizzaiolo tomatoes.

Peter

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2014, 11:56:08 AM »
I don't know (or understand) why anyone would put oil in pizza sauce, regardless of pizza style. I don't know if this is because I have less understanding of sauce's purpose than others or if it's because I have more understanding of sauce's purpose. All I know is that when I've tried using oil in sauce, the sauce and oil always separate, which is a major hassle to me. That alone is reason enough for me to never put oil in my sauce. Also, oil doesn't seem to add any kind of desirable flavor to me.

Someone give me a good reason why I might want to put oil in pizza sauce.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »
I don't know (or understand) why anyone would put oil in pizza sauce, regardless of pizza style. I don't know if this is because I have less understanding of sauce's purpose than others or if it's because I have more understanding of sauce's purpose. All I know is that when I've tried using oil in sauce, the sauce and oil always separate, which is a major hassle to me. That alone is reason enough for me to never put oil in my sauce. Also, oil doesn't seem to add any kind of desirable flavor to me.

I like to make a cheese pizza where I cut the sauce with about 25%-30% good evoo and use a relativity small amount of dry WM mozz (sliced thin), a light sprinkling of white cheddar, and some black pepper - maybe a tiny bit of dry oregano. My normal crust and bake time/temp. I don't make it that often, but I should. It's one of my favorites.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »

I don't think there is a reason why you would. I agree it has no place in legitimate NY style. However, that doesn't mean there isn't a whole lot of pizza made where it is appropriate. Fully-prepared pizza sauce is not made to make good pizza. It's made to make easy pizza with wide appeal. Sometimes I think we who frequent this forum forget that the pizza we make and enjoy represents only a very tiny fraction of the pizza eaten in the US.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2014, 04:37:30 PM »
Sometimes I think we who frequent this forum forget that the pizza we make and enjoy represents only a very tiny fraction of the pizza eaten in the US.

^^^

And sometimes we aren't accommodating enough to those others. I would have to imagine that all of us eat/do something that other purists would consider an abomination to their passion.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2014, 04:48:47 PM »
^^^

And sometimes we aren't accommodating enough to those others. I would have to imagine that all of us eat/do something that other purists would consider an abomination to their passion.
EXACTLY!!   :)

And that`s why I don`t go to joe blow autobody repair forum and say....`Hey guys, can i sand this clear coat with a high speed grinder before i buff it out to a purdy shine?`... ::)

lazy lou`ies look like....well....lazy.

pizzapan