Author Topic: FRESH YEAST AMOUNTS  (Read 340 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
FRESH YEAST AMOUNTS
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
Here's a question to all of you guys that understand the science of baking.

This is a commercial setup, so it may be different for home use, I don't know.

For a 50 lb bag of flour, at 63% hydration and a cold fermentation for no less than 2 and no more than 4 days....

WHAT DIFFERENCES can I expect between making the dough with 8oz of fresh yeast and 2oz of fresh yeast.  I've used both, but at different times and different places.  Because it was so long ago and because I am not as well versed in the science of this all......i can't say I noticed any difference between the two......but that would be impossible, no??

Thanks for any time and effort, as always, its appreciated.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
Re: FRESH YEAST AMOUNTS
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »
Here's a question to all of you guys that understand the science of baking.

This is a commercial setup, so it may be different for home use, I don't know.

For a 50 lb bag of flour, at 63% hydration and a cold fermentation for no less than 2 and no more than 4 days....

WHAT DIFFERENCES can I expect between making the dough with 8oz of fresh yeast and 2oz of fresh yeast.  I've used both, but at different times and different places.  Because it was so long ago and because I am not as well versed in the science of this all......i can't say I noticed any difference between the two......but that would be impossible, no??

Thanks for any time and effort, as always, its appreciated.

I am far from the expert on this and there are many here much more skilled  but did ballpark convert your fresh yeast  amounts to IDY amounts.  Guys like Peter and Tom are the ones to really ask this to. but here is what I came up with assuming you are using ice water(?).  the 8oz batch I could see working  but a bit on the high side of yeast.  On the 2oz amount I have never gone so low for this many days.  We go 4-7 days with IDY amounts closer to 4 1/2 ounces of fresh yeast.  I don't use fresh yeast with our ice water pie dough but do use it for all our artisan bread doughes but they are with warm water.    Walter
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:12:14 PM by waltertore »

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Re: FRESH YEAST AMOUNTS
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »
yeah, walt
Ice..........four days is pushing it.......