Author Topic: Zip lock bags ?  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Gloucester

• I Love Pizza!
Zip lock bags ?
« on: June 28, 2006, 03:30:52 PM »
Hello

I am using 6 in 1 sauce in 28oz cans-- enough for @ 3 or 4 pizzas.
Has anyone used Zip Lock bags for the unused sauce and freezed it.
If so for how long also how long is reasonable to keep it in the refrig.
Thanks

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
Re: Zip lock bags ?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:56:30 PM »
I don't know about sauce, but we've kept all sorts of stuff over 6 months in the Freezer ziolock bags.  They are quite a bit thicker than the regular bags.

jack

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
Re: Zip lock bags ?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 04:20:42 PM »
For some reason I thought I posted on this already, but I guess I only addressed pastic containers.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2574.msg23174.html#msg23174

When I was feezing in zip-type freezer bags I had similar issues as I mentioned in the link above. When using a chest-type freezer it was worse, little tears would develop from being moved or from getting crimped and cause freezer burn.

I also believe the sauce break-down increases in a frost-free freezer (what I own now) because the temperature fluctuates to prevent ice build-up.

Is there any interest in non-pizza recipes to use-up Escalon tomatoes? Since I dont freeze sauces anymore I've developed some recipes so I'll start up one in the off-topic  section if there's enough interest.

Oh, I did notice that the Escalon sauces seem to be doing well in the freezer when made into pizza wontons for snacks and appetizers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 04:41:19 PM by Lydia »
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.