Author Topic: Calling all Mobile WFO owners  (Read 1744 times)

Online Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
Calling all Mobile WFO owners
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the forum and want to pick some peoples brains on the mobile WFO pizza business..
I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer insight into a future (hopefully) mobile WFO business owner.

If you had one piece of advice about this business, what would it be?

Where did you get your oven and how do you like it?

As a part time business, how doable is this?

Any and all advice/info welcome. I'm looking to start an on going conversation about mobile WFO ownership and pick some brains...

Here's some pies I've made using my bakerstone oven on the grill...

Offline hot paddle pizza

• Pizza and Beer, yay!
    • Hot Paddle Pizza
Re: Calling all Mobile WFO owners
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:41 PM »
Well, I bought a mobile unit from Antoine at Breadstone ovens. It is complete and I should be receiving it in the next week or so. As soon I as I cure it, a FGM 950b, and figure out how to make good pizza in it I'll hopefully have more to add. I bought this to use for a part time job that I hope will become a full time job.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:32:17 PM by hot paddle pizza »
As a home brewer and a pizza maker I love fermentation.

Offline JAG

• The passion of the crust!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 11:19:31 PM »
mrdennycrane,

We are on our second year doing mwfo, pm me if you want to discuss anything in detail.

JG

Online Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:16:02 AM »
Sent you a message.

Anyone else have mwfo experience? I'm looking for who else sells ovens as well.

I've found fire within, Rocky Mountain, Tuscany fire and breadstone ovens so far that look like they have good products.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 07:56:41 AM »
 my wood fired business is three years old and i cannot keep up with the demand. i have two other people that have mobile units that handle jobs that are on the same day or they pick up their own business. if you can afford it get a self contained truck that you can work off. my truck i separate and i always need to take a second vehicle for tent, refrigeration and other needed supplies. 

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:05:33 AM »
my wood fired business is three years old and i cannot keep up with the demand. i have two other people that have mobile units that handle jobs that are on the same day or they pick up their own business. if you can afford it get a self contained truck that you can work off. my truck i separate and i always need to take a second vehicle for tent, refrigeration and other needed supplies.

Demand is great, but are you making a decent living? Any regrets? I'm also considering a food truck/trailer in the next few years.
Josh

Offline hot paddle pizza

• Pizza and Beer, yay!
    • Hot Paddle Pizza
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I have a pick up with a cap that will be my storage for coolers etc as well as the storage under my oven in the trailer. I can however see upgrading to a van of some sort if business goes well.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
I have a Mobile  WFO and have been Kicking around here a while now. Not too many doing it when I got going so no one I I could press for answers. so I just dove right in and  learned the hard way.  gained a little experience over the last few yeas for sure.    Help as much as possible if your serious 
Like Larry struggle to keep up but I am a weekend warrior keeping the day job, m-f , and pizza Fri, sat ,sun, I am booked every weekend on word of mouth only. Guess it depends on you Lifestyle ?  if you can make a living at it? also location Minimums go from $500 in Kansas to $1250in parts of New Jersey, so its also a demographic thing.  My answer is yes- you can make a living, and you can also make a living cutting grass? If its what you want to do, but its HARD work! and you better be passionate about it. How much is it worth to stand in front of a 1000 degree oven on a 90 degree day for 6-8 hours ? Priceless !
John :pizza:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:15:17 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline hot paddle pizza

• Pizza and Beer, yay!
    • Hot Paddle Pizza
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
I have a Mobile  WFO and have been Kicking around here a while now. Not too many doing it when I got going so no one I I could press for answers. so I just dove right in and  learned the hard way.  gained a little experience over the last few yeas for sure.    Help as much as possible if your serious 
Like Larry struggle to keep up but I am a weekend warrior keeping the day job, m-f , and pizza Fri, sat ,sun, I am booked every weekend on word of mouth only
JOhn :pizza:
John I have read through your thread a couple times and must say your business and set up has been the model I used for the direction I am heading with my mobile. So I want to thanks for putting it out there for others to see.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
Thanks !  A few others here have told me I at least helped to motivate them,  and give them the desire to push forward, and follow the dream. Others have bought equip , ovens.. and some have even consulted with me. Appreciate the kind words guys !
Its a great little community of mobile operators across the country and beyond which I am happy to be a part  we all help each other where we can. Many do make a decent living and support families .... making pizza ? YUP
JOHN
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:21:19 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »
Demand is great, but are you making a decent living? Any regrets? I'm also considering a food truck/trailer in the next few years.
  i own a brick and mortar pizzeria. my mobile business is a side business that has realy taken off. you can make a good living if  50,000.00 to 70,000.00 is considered good. again it depends on how well you market and how much competition there is for the mobile business. here in ohio we are limited during the winter months so that cuts into our sales. i have helped two of my friends with their recipes and method and we now have the ability to handle three events per day if needed. we all three network and help each other in securing jobs.
 three weeks ago i was doing a festival called the international as i was setting up the food writer from the lorain journal interviewed  me took pictures,and i fed her. last Sunday she featured my mobile oven on the front page of the food section.needless to say that was a big business stimulator. both for my mobile and sit sown pizzeria if you want any information please pm me. http://www.morningjournal.com/lifestyle/20140703/beautiful-flame-in-oberlin-caters-with-wood-fired-pizza-flair
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:20:24 PM by Tampa »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:05 PM »
Very cool. That's a nice write up.

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
Very cool. That's a nice write up.

^^^ Thanks for the insight.
Josh

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »
  i own a brick and mortar pizzeria. my mobile business is a side business that has realy taken off. you can make a good living if  50,000.00 to 70,000.00 is considered good. again it depends on how well you market and how much competition there is for the mobile business. here in ohio we are limited during the winter months so that cuts into our sales. i have helped two of my friends with their recipes and method and we now have the ability to handle three events per day if needed. we all three network and help each other in securing jobs.
 three weeks ago i was doing a festival called the international as i was setting up the food writer from the lorain journal interviewed  me took pictures,and i fed her. last Sunday she featured my mobile oven on the front page of the food section.needless to say that was a big business stimulator. both for my mobile and sit sown pizzeria if you want any information please pm me. http://www.morningjournal.com/lifestyle/20140703/beautiful-flame-in-oberlin-caters-with-wood-fired-pizza-flair

Love the article Larry.  Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Online Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:55 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has shared info, PM'd me or shared links and experiences. Any more info greatly appreciated. When I finally do make the move I'll start a new thread to document my journey!

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:24 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has shared info, PM'd me or shared links and experiences. Any more info greatly appreciated. When I finally do make the move I'll start a new thread to document my journey!

You make a nice pizza with that bakerstone oven. I bet you'll do great with a WFO. Good luck.
Josh

Online Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
Forgot to ask in my original post, where did you operators get insurance?

Offline hot paddle pizza

• Pizza and Beer, yay!
    • Hot Paddle Pizza
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »
I am in Canada so my info won't help much. However I did find that most providers were not interested in my business or needed some serious explaining as to what the unit is and how it works. For some reason the word fire really seems to scare them?

Online Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
How did you guys set up your business? LLC? Something else?

Offline gelenn

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
I've had my mobile oven from the The Fire Within for about 3 months and have done several festivals and other events.  There is a learning curve on how to staff for the various events.  I am the only game in town and will be amping it up when current full time job ends on the 31st of this month.  Training staff to get the quality you want is an issue.  Managing my dough right now is my biggest battle, I'm getting a better handle on this.  If you lose power at an event your dough can get away from you quickly and that has happened to me twice at big events.  As others have said having enough space to carry all your equipment is definitely an issue, about to buy a cargo van for this.  Having said this I love this business and your customers will love it as well!  Good Luck!

Google FLIP insurance, its a group program targeted at the food industry, great rates that includes the inland marine insurance you will need.  I think its $299 yr with unlimited additional insureds included.

pizzapan