Author Topic: Calling all Mobile WFO owners  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Calling all Mobile WFO owners
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
How did you guys set up your business? LLC? Something else?
no responses eh?   :-D

it`s called CNC....as much of it you possibly can.   ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline SPCo.

• Standard Pizza Co.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »
Good luck on your venture! It is very rewarding but also very hard work. I have been in the Mobile WFO game for 4 years now, with a Maine Wood Heat Oven. In my opinion, the best Mobile WFO money can buy, I love it. Part time is doable, however if you do it right, it will become full time. I started with part time with a few parties a month and now I just did close to 2000 pizzas in the last two weekends. Check out www.standardpizzaco.com I would be happy to answer any questions.

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
Wow that's a lot of pies. I def want it to be full time eventually.

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 12:34:48 PM »
How does everyone deal with dough for events? I plan to use fresh dough and one of my biggest concerns is how it will be in too hot or too cold of temps...any advice?

Offline hot paddle pizza

• Pizza and Beer, yay!
    • Hot Paddle Pizza
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
I just picked up my mobile oven on Wednesday. Going to start curing it today.
As a home brewer and a pizza maker I love fermentation.

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »
Congrats! Looks GREAT!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
Nice ride !! Great work Antione the FGM Mobile has come a long way for sure she a beauty !! lookin more and more like Fliriting with Fire Mobile  ???
Best of luck with everything. Are you on the FB mobile wood fired oven owners forum yet . Some  seriously good info there  and great people all sharing the goods, and all out there doing it for real~ But you have to OWN a mobile  oven to be a part ,so you now qualify ! Congrats , Best of Luck!
and Welcome to the game !
John
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 09:50:29 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:04 PM »
Public events will require ingredients at 41 degrees or less Refridgerated prep table for that and dough well at least 70 or so
Otherwise insulated bags Ice blankets work well and...... a year or 2 of learning how your dough handles, how quick it warms up , when is it over proofed? how much yeast to use? how long has if fermented?  How long before I leave do I take it out of fridge? whats the outside temp ? Humidity? Peak service time? temp of oven? and about 72 other influences
This IS by far the hardest part of the Mobile Business!! The dough Dance   ;) best of luck
remember its alive !  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »
Thanks john. I'm thinking the insulated bags as I didn't plan to buy a prep table until atleast year two. Was gonna do a prep rail and go from there.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »
Thanks john. I'm thinking the insulated bags as I didn't plan to buy a prep table until atleast year two. Was gonna do a prep rail and go from there.

That's exactly what I do....refrigerated rail and cooler bags. There's a million things to keep in line and figure out. And just when you think you have it all figured out, something comes up that you didn't think of. It's a helluva ride and a continuous learning experience. Good luck man!
Chaz

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 11:33:21 PM »
  Go with cambro catering boxes. I throw ice inside a few hours before.I leave.       
 After it pre cools add a cambro ice slab and your cold dough. Keep it shut other than to pull your needed dough and it will keep it nice and cold all day. Pull out a few trays and proof them. The time length will depend on weather. I use the  large cambro that holds full sheet trays. 15 to 20 per tray and wrap them in plastic bags. Five trays plus the ice slab. 100 balls of dough. A large event of more than a day I take a standup cooler.

John is going to disagree on this as it is costly, but you need to spend money to make money. These things last forever. I have cambros that are 30 years old. They still keep hot food hot and cold cold for many hours.

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »
Could you give me a link to the cambro that fits 100 dough balls? Also what stand up cooler are you referring to? Thanks!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2014, 12:38:09 AM »
hope this link works  the full size carriers.http://www.webstaurantstore.com/carlisle-cateraide-tc1826n01-brown-sheet-pan-carrier-for-full-size-sheet-pans/271TC1826NBR.html these are a different company but I'm sure work just as well. this is my cooler that i take to multi day events. it is a hassle but needed and worth the extra effort. 

further down the page is the exact carrier i use.http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-camcarrier-1826mtc110-black-insulated-tray-sheet-pan-carrier-front-load-holds-full-size-pans/2141826MTCBK.html

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:41:49 AM by thezaman »

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2014, 07:49:40 AM »
Awesome, thank you and nice set up!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
your welcome, note this included temperature chart http://www.webstaurantstore.com/documents/pdf/carlisle_temp_chart.pdf

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
Question about financing...how did you do it? This question is obviously for people who had to finance your mobile business?  I have a list of options like peer to peer lending, bank business loan, finding investors. I'm curious how you guys did it?

Thanks for any insight!

Offline Mrdennycrane

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 12:47:12 AM »
Got to test out an oven today from Tuscany Fire in New Haven. Awesome stuff.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 09:22:29 AM »
Got to test out an oven today from Tuscany Fire in New Haven. Awesome stuff.
That must have been fun.  All the pies look nice.  Some unusual choices as well.  Love that.
Dave

Offline landras

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
Hi man, I started last october as a part timer. I did not make any advertisement and it is been slow.
Catering is where the money is, vending is a bitch to many variables. I do sell pies at luxury apartment complexes around houston and at the same location you can go from selling 60 pies, to sell 20 the next time you are there and then go back again to 55, as you can see is very difficult to plan accordingly. Sometimes if you do not know the demography of the complex you undersell, one time I went to this place and after 15 min I realized that probably 50% of the people showing up where Muslims, and I had 3 pizzas with some kind of pork in it and 2 with veggies, but not the veggies they want and no chicken, so most of them just turn around and left...
I also do a farmers market, sundays from 10 to 1 during summer time, it is good when the weather is cool in the last 3 months was terrible, nobody goes to buy veggies when is 95F..
I am still a part time, but now I am also a part time at my  M-F job, I had to do that because I was loosing to many vending during the week. My M-F job is a very low pay job so doing 3/4 small vending I cover the other half of my old salary. 
As John K said, dough management is the big issue. It is very easy when you make 10/20 pizzas at home where you can control the temp at every moment..
Helpers are difficult to find, when you get one that is good, pay them well, they will go the extra mile and be always there for you...(or it should be for your money?  :P)

If you had one piece of advice about this business, what would it be?
Try to start clean financially, buy and pay for everything before you start. Unless you are very lucky it you will need some time to see a consistent influx of money.

Where did you get your oven and how do you like it?
I got it from Antoine. It is a FGM 1030C. Love it, love it, love it.

As a part time business, how doable is this?
I totally doable if you have support from your spouse, think that you will have to spend most of the saturday or sunday prepping and then going to the party so that leaves your spouse with the responsibility of take care of the kids. Get a good fridge for the garage and get organized you need a lot of storage space.

good luck!
nico

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »
 when i started my mobile i bought pieces and parts and used friends and my local joint vocation school to put my oven together. as business picked up i put every penny back into it upgrading my equipment as needed by the increasing volume. as Nico stated events where you are selling to the public are very hard to gauge. last weekend i was rained out on two events. i was left with over 150 dough balls. fortunately i have a brick and mortar pizzeria and i always fire up my wood oven their on Sunday. i usually start at 5:00. i started at opening which is 11:30 and was able to sell out by 8pm. so i did not loose any product. but without the ability to do that i would of lost money.

catering private parties are a much better way to market your service. the only problem there are certain months that are very popular and you are limited on how many you can do. if you take a job for 50 and a bigger job comes available you cannot take it. i get calls for small groups 15 to 20 people and they are unwilling to pay the base that i ask. i devised a setup that can be run by two people and can be packed into the wood oven truck. it allows me to say yes a lot more often.

in my case this went from a part time job to asking my daughter to resign from her position to take events that i was forced to turn down.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:10:15 PM by thezaman »