Author Topic: A NJ family get together in Ohio  (Read 276 times)

Online waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
A NJ family get together in Ohio
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
My brother and sister in law from NJ came to visit this week and today my cousin from NJ and his wife (moved to OH 30 years ago) came down from the Cleveland area.  We all have not been together in 30 years.  All are serious pizza heads with my brother and his wife calling Star Tavern #1.  I converted them to my pie. They are brutally honest NJ people so I know they weren't lying  :-D   both groups are going home tomorrow with a few pies in the cars.  Here are some pictures.  Food is a great thing to bring people together and my brother(in rutgers scarlet knight t shirt) and our cousin steven were all raised together next door to each other in Bellville NJ.  I felt very lucky today.  Walter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: A NJ family get together in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »
Walter,

That is really a nice story!  :D I am glad they all were converted to your pizzas.  You mean you didn't make all your relatives one of your Star pies?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
It is always great to have the family together!  The thing I miss most is my Italian family gatherings around my Grandmother's kitchen... you are making memories that will last!  You have something very special in your pizza and workflow.

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:07:58 AM »
Walter,

That is really a nice story!  :D I am glad they all were converted to your pizzas.  You mean you didn't make all your relatives one of your Star pies?

Norma

Hi Norma:  I didn't make a star clone because Greg and his wife Patti go there regularly.  They are all gone now, Judy is at work, and it is just me and the dogs.  I am glad they are here because it is awful empty with them gone. Thanks.  Walter

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
It is always great to have the family together!  The thing I miss most is my Italian family gatherings around my Grandmother's kitchen... you are making memories that will last!  You have something very special in your pizza and workflow.

Thanks bigMoose!  This darn mobile society of ours has pretty much wrecked the gathering thing.  My cousin Steven's family left NJ in the early 70's to move to OH for work.  They were the first of our family to leave NJ and since it has just been an ongoing thing.  One of the problems is the cost of living in the Essex County area is so expensive peoples kids can't afford to raise a family there.  My brother and his wife are paying 12k in property taxes and will not be able to retire and stay in NJ.  Their kids are about through college and will most likely never live in the area due to high cost of living.  That is one of the nice things about here in OH. It is still cheap to live and kids can stay and raise a family.   The NYC metro area is wrecked on that channel.  Walter

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 10:03:43 AM »
We are seeing similar traits.  My grandparents and about 10 uncles and aunts lived within a 5 mile radius in south western Pennsylvania.  My parents came to northern Ohio after the war for employment.  We went "back to PA" about every month in my formative years.  I treasure all those interactions with my uncles and aunts and Grandparents.  My generation (I am 60ish) scattered over the countryside, so us cousins had little interaction compared to our parents.

My wife and I still wonder if we made a mistake sending our girls to the "big city" down south for college instead of the local community college.  Everyone who sent their kids locally still have them within driving distance, both my girls decided to stay "down south" and never came home.  One is in Lexington KY and the other in Columbus OH...  :(  The ol' guy misses them... and the interaction. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »
They are all gone now, Judy is at work, and it is just me and the dogs.  I am glad they are here because it is awful empty with them gone. Thanks.  Walter

Walter,

That was really nice you got to visit with your relatives after so many years.  I can understand how awful empty it is with them gone now.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
I`ll bet they are all very proud of what you are doing there with the school and the kids Walter....all settled down now like a regular grownup and everything, wow!   :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »
We are seeing similar traits.  My grandparents and about 10 uncles and aunts lived within a 5 mile radius in south western Pennsylvania.  My parents came to northern Ohio after the war for employment.  We went "back to PA" about every month in my formative years.  I treasure all those interactions with my uncles and aunts and Grandparents.  My generation (I am 60ish) scattered over the countryside, so us cousins had little interaction compared to our parents.

My wife and I still wonder if we made a mistake sending our girls to the "big city" down south for college instead of the local community college.  Everyone who sent their kids locally still have them within driving distance, both my girls decided to stay "down south" and never came home.  One is in Lexington KY and the other in Columbus OH...  :(  The ol' guy misses them... and the interaction.

bigMoose:  I think todays world makes ones staying in one area, one job, for their life, a very unlikely thing.  I don't have kids and can only imagine the loss a parent feels when they move away.  I know many parents that have followed their children to new lands only to have them move somewhere else in a short period of time leaving the parents in a forgien area and in the same boat that they were in at home when the kids left.  Walter

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
Walter,

That was really nice you got to visit with your relatives after so many years.  I can understand how awful empty it is with them gone now.

Norma

Thanks Norma!  You live near Lancaster right?  One of my brother's best friends lives in that area and he goes out to visit once a year or so.  I told my brother about your shop and he would be excited to try your pies.   Walter

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:44:18 PM »
I`ll bet they are all very proud of what you are doing there with the school and the kids Walter....all settled down now like a regular grownup and everything, wow!   :)

Thanks CB!  Yes they said they are and that felt good.  It is a miracle that I survived my teen/early adult years..............   Walter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
Walter,

Actually, there are a lot of factors that have forced people to stay where they are. For example, the Great Recession was very hard on Millennials (Gen Y). After taking on enormous debt to get through college, carrying anywhere from a few thousand to over a hundred thousand (the average is over 20K), many of them can't get jobs. So, a lot of them have moved in with Mom and Dad, who are footing the bills, and some have gone on to graduate school, hoping that there will be jobs for them when they finish that program. That means that they don't buy homes, and that means that they don't buy furniture and appliances and the like, and they don't get married and do the kinds of things that married people do that help the economy. Many Millennials actually bought homes at the peak of the real estate market and they either are sitting on them until real estate values get better, or they sold at losses and have moved into apartments or gone back home. The rental real estate market has experienced enormous growth because of the demand for apartments. Among those Millennials who were lucky to find jobs, a sizable percentage of them are in jobs that do not require what they studied in college or the degrees they got. Some hold two or three part-time jobs to make ends meet.

The Great Recession has also hurt other people because they can't sell their homes to be able to move to another area, and there is also the concern that a spouse may not be able to get a job as part of the move. Older workers are also retiring later and sitting on their jobs longer, thereby depriving upward mobility by younger workers. It has been reported that Millennials have fallen so far behind on income that they may never make it up even after they find jobs. It may be the first generation in a long time where the participants do not do better than their parents.

I read an interesting article recently where a young lady, a college graduate with school loans and living with her parents, said that she was dating a fellow who, while he liked her, said that he could never marry her because of the debt that she was carrying.

As I see it, people are staying put and not moving like they used to years ago when the economy was booming and jobs were going unfilled. The best situated and best able to move are those with skills that are in great demand, such as engineering, mathematics, energy, software development, accounting and similar specialty skills.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:53:18 PM »
learn a trade...it will never fail you, that`s what i tell the young`ins. there is always time for higher education down the road if you so choose and have the determination like what i did. i have a college degree that i never even really used....found out that learning how to paint cars and then flipping them paid a hell of a lot more than having a degree in psychology.  >:(
and now i am flipping houses....even sweeter...go figure,eh?
have a nice day and please repay those govt. loans.

Online bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
..I know many parents that have followed their children to new lands only to have them move somewhere else in a short period of time leaving the parents in a forgien area and in the same boat that they were in at home when the kids left.  Walter
Exactly the discussion and conclusion my wife and I had last week.  If we pick up and sell what took us since 1987 to build... and go south... the kids will just move again in 5 to 7 and we will loose the friendships we have here.  We have decided to stay put and enjoy the homestead we built together.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:35:34 PM by bigMoose »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
kids become adults, if raised properly. and adults stand on their own 2 feet.....that is how examples are set.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
You live near Lancaster right?  One of my brother's best friends lives in that area and he goes out to visit once a year or so.  I told my brother about your shop and he would be excited to try your pies.   Walter

Walter,

Yes, I do live very near Lancaster.  Hope your brother and one of his best friends come to try out my pies someday.  Maybe your brothers friend has heard of the market where I am located.

Norma

Online waltertore

• Vendor
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 07:56:20 AM »
Walter,

Yes, I do live very near Lancaster.  Hope your brother and one of his best friends come to try out my pies someday.  Maybe your brothers friend has heard of the market where I am located.

Norma

Norma: I will pass this along.  Thanks.  Walter