Author Topic: "Best Kept NC Secret" - Lynch Creek Farm - Bob Radcliffe  (Read 457 times)

Offline BobRad

• I Love Pizza!
"Best Kept NC Secret" - Lynch Creek Farm - Bob Radcliffe
« on: July 11, 2014, 10:54:56 AM »
My Tomato Pie and Wood-fired Oven clinched our selection by the Raleigh News & Observer (N&O) as the Best Kept Secret in Franklin County, NC. The article can be found at:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/06/3988523/exploring-the-country-roads-in.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

Lynch Creek Farm - Rocky Ford, NC - Bob Radcliffe

Offline TXCraig1

Re: "Best Kept NC Secret" - Lynch Creek Farm - Bob Radcliffe
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »
Your tomato pie looks good. What all is it topped with?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BobRad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44:46 PM »
TXCraig1 - Basic Toppings are crushed garlic, black pepper, whole milk mozzarella slices, whole pieces of imported san marzano tomatoes, then optionally loose homemade sausage pieces (note no olive oil on the pie). Then after the pie is out of my wood-fired oven, immediately squeegee liberally olive oil around the crust, and optionally add sauteed sliced shitake (or crimini) mushrooms and whole leaf spinach pieces sauteed with garlic, then course kosher salt to taste, fresh grated parmesan, and finally fresh torn basil pieces. The toppings are heated by the cooling pie and add more "Layers of Flavor"! See my www.pizzaquest.com Series of Articles "Tomato Pie, Rocky Ford, and Me" for more details - Bob Radcliffe

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 10:21:12 PM »
TXCraig1 - Basic Toppings are crushed garlic, black pepper, whole milk mozzarella slices, whole pieces of imported san marzano tomatoes, then optionally loose homemade sausage pieces (note no olive oil on the pie). Then after the pie is out of my wood-fired oven, immediately squeegee liberally olive oil around the crust, and optionally add sauteed sliced shitake (or crimini) mushrooms and whole leaf spinach pieces sauteed with garlic, then course kosher salt to taste, fresh grated parmesan, and finally fresh torn basil pieces. The toppings are heated by the cooling pie and add more "Layers of Flavor"! See my www.pizzaquest.com Series of Articles "Tomato Pie, Rocky Ford, and Me" for more details - Bob Radcliffe
bob, thought you were using toms that you grow and pack up there.
must have you confused with a different `artisan`....been meaning to come over there and join the society...the intimate dining sounds like a great value.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 11:28:27 PM »
Cool video and nice looking pies Bob,
we left coasters rely on folks like you and Norma et al. for our information about tomato pies.

I keep at it with a non ideal oven, but I can still learn enough here to muddle my way through.
I'm looking forward to trying Gemignani's version in SF when I get a chance...he's the only one I know of around here that offers that style.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:44:37 AM »
I enjoyed the articles. Thanks.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BobRad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
TXCraig1 -

Hope you found the Series of Articles informative - the last PART-7 of the Series should be posted soon. Also unaware if you have seen my companion YouTube Video at - together the articles and video portray a full understanding of what I am doing here in rural NC.

If you have an interest in how I built my Pompeii-style Wood-fired Oven (perhaps the largest such made that I am aware of at 56" inside diameter) try this .pdf link of a slideshow construction chronology I posted on my farm website www.lynchcreek.com at http://www.lynchcreek.com/BreadWorks-Newsletters/Cabin%20Oven%20Photo%20Album%20-%20Rev.pdf - Needless to say, have been busy here.

Also built the Log Cabin we use for Business Meeting and BreadWorks Events - I have archived Press Releases of monthly activity over the last four years of construction there as well.

- Bob Radcliffe

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 09:43:53 AM »
Very impressive construction. Is the internal height roughly equal to the radius?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline BobRad

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 10:04:31 AM »
TXCraig1 - yes, it is a dome and I used a home-made radius tool to guide the masonry brickwork - the hardest part was the intersection of the entrance way and the dome - oven works great - outside of dome only gets to 110-deg-F while the flue is a bit hotter (as expected) still not a fire hazard to the shed building - cannot say I want to build another - too much time and I'm getting older - would rather bake and eat Tomato Pies (as well as Artisan Breads, Roasts etc. etc) - Bob

pizzapan