Author Topic: Time to ban iPhone photos!  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Time to ban iPhone photos!
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 06:15:19 PM »
I am a lot OCD (I am a sorter), but I still always manage to get my pictures rightside up.
:) i remember some of your meal planning lists tom.

i`m a counter....like to count how many words are on a sign, on a brochure,a menu, a forum post...i count `em up and then like to count them back down backwards real fast.   ::)
oh well.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »
Because modicum of professionalism is such a bad thing? I appreciate your (albeit indirect) honesty that such things are not important to you.

It was a bit tongue in cheek. I'm more of a free market guy. People who don't post pics correctly get less comments, more complaints, and eventually learn to fix them on their own to elicit more response.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 06:27:25 PM »
hang `em high!   >:(

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »
It's just common courtesy. Take an extra two seconds and do it right. If you can't take that tiny bit of effort, why on God's green Earth should anyone take your pizza seriously.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »
I am a lot OCD (I am a sorter)....

Then I bet your supply yard is the neatest, most organized yard that side of the Mississippi!

Btw, I've seen a lot of forum pics that look better upside down.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:00:52 PM by stonecutter »
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 07:04:20 PM »
It's just common courtesy. Take an extra two seconds and do it right. If you can't take that tiny bit of effort, why on God's green Earth should anyone take your pizza seriously.

I honestly try to re-read my posts for goofed up links, pics or just plain booze induced gibberish and make appropriate changes. And you're right, not that difficult seeing the "modify" icon is right there. Many forums don't have this feature, it's very nice to have and more should use it!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
Hello, professional image editing programmer chiming in.

There's a little tag inside JPEGs that tells the software displaying it which way the orientation for the image is (see http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html for more info).  So a camera (which traditionally has had little cpu power) can worry about taking pictures as fast as it can, rather than stopping and rotating pixels around.  The camera will then add this tag and the viewing software will do the rotation later on.

So the problem isn't with the iPhone (or other mobile phones and cameras that do this), it's with the software on the forum side which is processing it- it's not interpreting the JPEG images correctly.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2014, 08:31:54 PM »
If the forum administrators can put in that fix easily, then that seems like a plan.  No more pizza hanging from the ceiling.

If not, then perhaps a simple (boldface?) note where you "Choose File" asking the poster to be sure their photo is right side up before posting.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2014, 08:35:07 PM »
Hello, professional image editing programmer chiming in.

There's a little tag inside JPEGs that tells the software displaying it which way the orientation for the image is (see http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/exif_orientation.html for more info).  So a camera (which traditionally has had little cpu power) can worry about taking pictures as fast as it can, rather than stopping and rotating pixels around.  The camera will then add this tag and the viewing software will do the rotation later on.

So the problem isn't with the iPhone (or other mobile phones and cameras that do this), it's with the software on the forum side which is processing it- it's not interpreting the JPEG images correctly.

That's interesting. 

How come that changes when I upload an image after I edit and save it twice?   I'm asking because I have no clue...I was experimenting after getting frustrated trying to get uploaded images oriented correctly from my iPad.   I discovered that after I took my image ( which was oriented normally but uploaded sideways) if I rotated it 90degrees, saved it, then immediately reedit it back to correct orientation, the image loaded the proper way.  Why did that work?

John Ruskin

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2014, 08:40:57 PM »
How come that changes when I upload an image after I edit and save it twice?

When an editor opens up the image, it'll read the tag and orient things correctly before it puts it into memory to work on.  Then you make changes to it (crop, filter, whatever) and when it's saved back as a JPEG, there's no need to flip things around again - just don't write out the tag, because everything is already right side up.  It'd be more work to swap things around and put the orientation back to how it originally was.

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
If not, then perhaps a simple (boldface?) note where you "Choose File" asking the poster to be sure their photo is right side up before posting.

That won't work, because it will look right side up to whomever took the picture- the software on the camera side is going to do the right thing to display it.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
That won't work, because it will look right side up to whomever took the picture- the software on the camera side is going to do the right thing to display it.

I do not know why that would not be possible.  I just used "Preview" on my Mac to flip a picture and then save it.  Seems to work fine.  Stonecutter did it with his software (don't know what) in Reply 5 and i did it in Reply 13.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:05:24 PM by mitchjg »

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 09:42:50 PM »
I do not know why that would not be possible.  I just used "Preview" on my Mac to flip a picture and then save it.  Seems to work fine.  Stonecutter did it with his software (don't know what) in Reply 5 and i did it in Reply 13.

I tried that on another forum but not here.  Every time I hit preview it would show the picture correctly, but then when I posted, it would be flipped.  The only thing that worked was this weird double edit/save.   Also, on other forums with a multiple attachment feature, I could only get one pic uploaded per post....every new upload replaced the previous one....it's maddening.  But I think it worked on this forum for some reason.

This is why I work with stone and masonry.....

John Ruskin

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 10:52:54 PM »
I'd rather obsess about eating and making pizza than how some people's pictures appear on the forum.  I keep an open mind that some people are more tech savvy than others.  (But I am OCD and DO try to make the effort that my own posts are somewhat accurate).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:54:54 PM by Qarl »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 11:02:46 PM »
I'd rather obsess about eating and making pizza than how some people's pictures appear on the forum.  I keep an open mind that some people are more tech savvy than others.  (But I am OCD and DO try to make the effort that my own posts are somewhat accurate).
wow, that look`s pretty cool man....you jus turned my world upside down.   ;D

Offline ccgus

• Mueller Pizza Lab
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 11:16:02 PM »

Right- capture + edit + save + upload will make OK jpegs 99.9% of the time.
capture + upload might not, depending on the orientation of the camera when the picture was taken.  So the notice should say "please edit and save before uploading". Or the forum should get a fix on the server side.

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »
Booya....

John Ruskin

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »
Two pages of fine entertainment.
Dave

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 04:02:04 PM »
I have not used Tap Text (TT) but remember that other members had trouble with TT & picture orientation.  On my desktop/laptop it's easy because I look at the pictures in another app (iPhoto) and reorient them as needed.  However, on an iPad (or other tablet?)  this does not seem to be as straight forward as the images are saved into a folder w/o editing options AFAIK.  Please correct me if I'm uninformed.

I always wondered why when one previews a post, only the text message displays - not the photos - until you post? Then one needs to modify - which in some cases - as per the above - means just deleting the photo &/or post until you can get to a system with more options.  Im guessing it's because until you post the images have not been uploaded to the host. If it was possible - that would be helpful.

I imagine there are many iPad apps for editing pics.  However, I have not been able how to do it inside "photo."  Recommendations?  Besides moving to a Android/Windows Phone/Symbian platform?
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

pizzapan