Author Topic: windows won`t load  (Read 1958 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
windows won`t load
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:28:24 PM »
no matter what mode i try.....just keeps recycling.

would like to get a newer version of windows...if my desktop hardware is not damaged, new version should load,right?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: windows won`t load
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:00:50 PM »
I have to use windows for my work computer and it makes me want to kill myself lol. I don't know much about it anymore.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 10:08:18 PM »
I have to use windows for my work computer and it makes me want to kill myself lol. I don't know much about it anymore.
what OS would you reccomend jefferey?  i have a fairly expensive HP and am hoping just the windows is infected.
thanks.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
Bob, if the machine just keeps restarting over and over again, there's a setting you can change to keep the error message up:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?235157-RESOLVED-Continuous-Reboot-blue-screen-flashes-too-quick&s=492535caf8140af474eee92b7b0c8d87&p=1253546#post1253546

Once you have the bluescreen up, you can take the error code (something along the lines of 0x000000A) and google it.  Sometimes the error code will point to a specific issue, while other times, it's a bit vague. If it's vague, it becomes a lot harder to troubleshoot.

Blue screens can be hardware or software related.  One way to rule out software is to download a linux live cd (such as ubuntu), burn it to a CD and see if the problem machine will boot from that (set the CD to boot in the bios).  If the CD boots fine, you know it's hard drive/software related.

Another thing you can do while the linux system is running is copy your files. Before booting, attach an external drive.  If the internal hard drive is visible to linux (which is usually the case, unless there's a major problem with the drive), then you can copy your files off of it (pictures, emails, documents, etc.) onto the external drive.  If this blue screen is a result of a dying hard drive, the sooner you can copy your documents to a safe place, the better.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 10:53:45 PM »
Bob, if the machine just keeps restarting over and over again, there's a setting you can change to keep the error message up:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?235157-RESOLVED-Continuous-Reboot-blue-screen-flashes-too-quick&s=492535caf8140af474eee92b7b0c8d87&p=1253546#post1253546

Once you have the bluescreen up, you can take the error code (something along the lines of 0x000000A) and google it.  Sometimes the error code will point to a specific issue, while other times, it's a bit vague. If it's vague, it becomes a lot harder to troubleshoot.

Blue screens can be hardware or software related.  One way to rule out software is to download a linux live cd (such as ubuntu), burn it to a CD and see if the problem machine will boot from that (set the CD to boot in the bios).  If the CD boots fine, you know it's hard drive/software related.

Another thing you can do while the linux system is running is copy your files. Before booting, attach an external drive.  If the internal hard drive is visible to linux (which is usually the case, unless there's a major problem with the drive), then you can copy your files off of it (pictures, emails, documents, etc.) onto the external drive.  If this blue screen is a result of a dying hard drive, the sooner you can copy your documents to a safe place, the better.
thank you scott....i have been trying that. hit f8 just when windows is tring to start up...unresponsive...will not take me to blue screen...jus keeps recycling, giving 30 sec timer to choose how i`d like to restart....i choose all 4 different modes press enter and it just goes back to recycle once again....sum bitch is locked man.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
Bob, are you tapping the F8 button over and over? I find it helps not to tap it too quickly- like once a second might work.

What version of windows is this?

You can also go into the bios (press the del or the F2 button) and poke around and see if there's a restart option.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »
what OS would you reccomend jefferey?  i have a fairly expensive HP and am hoping just the windows is infected.
thanks.

Bob I use a Mac. But it was in no way a message of me saying you should switch. Plenty of people hate OSX too. I was just merely expressing my dissatisfaction with the product.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 11:00:17 PM »
Is windows actually starting to load, or is this happening before you see the windows logo. If it's happening before you see the windows logo, your hard drive might be bad in which case, the computer would not know where to go to boot which might be why it is asking you how to proceed/restart.
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:03:20 PM »
Actually, the 30 second delay means that windows is starting to pre-load, I believe.

Bob, is one of the options 'safe mode?'

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 11:07:27 PM »
Actually, the 30 second delay means that windows is starting to pre-load, I believe.

Bob, is one of the options 'safe mode?'
yes, have tried that several times. thanks for pm, will talk tomorrow.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 11:11:04 PM »
think i will just buy new os in the morning and try that first. jefferey says windows not good ....i didn`t even know you could buy anything else!   :-D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »
Just an FYI, don't go trying to install a mac OS on your computer.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:19:24 PM »
Just an FYI, don't go trying to install a mac OS on your computer.
thanks jeff..just now researching os ....not a whole lot out there besides windows....

scott123

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 11:34:02 PM »
Bob, while there are rare exceptions, generally speaking, OSes are hardware specific.  If you have a Windows machine, it's best to stick to Windows. There are such things as Hackintoshes (install Mac software on non Mac hardware), but it's only for the advanced hobbyist.

What version of windows are you using? Do you have the original install disk that came with it? Do you have files on this machine that, if lost, would be catastrophic?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »
Bob, while there are rare exceptions, generally speaking, OSes are hardware specific.  If you have a Windows machine, it's best to stick to Windows. There are such things as Hackintoshes (install Mac software on non Mac hardware), but it's only for the advanced hobbyist.

What version of windows are you using? Do you have the original install disk that came with it? Do you have files on this machine that, if lost, would be catastrophic?
wish i had the original disk scotty...it is pre installed xp pro circa `09 maybe? i have a google/android sync/file backup but there is really no love loss files i would cry over if they disappeared to the land of oz

scott123

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 12:22:38 AM »
Bob, when you're hitting the F8 button, do you continue to tap it all the way until you reach the page that gives you the 4 options? Have you tried tapping F8 after you've picked an option?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 12:29:28 AM »
already have option page....can choose any one of 4 options...hit enter and then wear out f8....no blue screen...just recycles and then i try another start option...round and round it goes like a bad bill murry movie...bob is doomed to ground hog dayzzzz

scott123

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
Between today and when we talk tomorrow, on a good machine with a cd burner, download this image file:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso

From this page here:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/

Do you have a blank CD? Burning the ISO to CD depends on what burning programs you have. If you have windows 7, here are the instructions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Burn-an-ISO-File-on-Windows-7

Nero (disc burning software) will achieve the same end. Burning a livecd and booting from it will go a long way in troubleshooting your issue. It will also allow you to write your android backup to another drive.

Until you can begin to narrow down the problem, you can't reinstall windows.  It could be a bad fan in your power supply, a memory module could have gone bad, your hard drive could have a bad sector (or worse), you might have damaged your registry, or it might be something else. A livecd is your best way of isolating the problem.

If you don't have any blank cds, you could work with usb sticks, but that gets a lot more complicated.

Are you 100% certain you can't get the disk that came with it?  If it's a corrupt registry- a distinct possibility, then the original windows disk could repair it.

Btw, it's a lot of work, but this process should get the blue screen of death to pause:

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-disable-automatic-restart-for-bsod-if-you-are-unable-to-get-into-windows/

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2014, 01:01:33 AM »
thanks....can i just install a newly purchased, more up to date windows?

if it won`t install then that tells me my pc is faulty and i will just replace it.......
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:04:37 AM by Chicago Bob »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »
thanks....can i just install a newly purchased, more up to date windows?

if it won`t install then that tells me my pc is faulty and i will just replace it.......

A new OS can be pricey, and if you buy a new computer it will come with an OS loaded. So don't get hit for that purchase twice.

pizzapan