Author Topic: windows won`t load  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: windows won`t load
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2014, 01:16:43 AM »
A new OS can be pricey, and if you buy a new computer it will come with an OS loaded. So don't get hit for that purchase twice.
i know,thanks jeff....i think i know a work around on that... ;)
you think it`s worth trying a newer windows?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2014, 01:20:44 AM »
hey best buy...you sold me a cracked disc man   :(

scott123

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
thanks....can i just install a newly purchased, more up to date windows?

Nope :(  If it's hardware, and BSODs can easily be hardware, then you'll have the same issue with a clean install of a fresh copy of windows.  If I was a betting man, I would say that your chances would be pretty good with a new hard drive and then a fresh install of windows (not necessarily up to date, since xp and 7 are better than 8, imo). If you feel compelled to jump into a fresh copy of windows without testing the hardware, then you can go that route, but I can't guarantee success.

Btw, a fresh install of windows isn't just pressing a button, walking away and coming back to a working machine.  You have to track down and install drivers for everything (I can help you find them), you'll have to re-install any additional software that's on the old machine, such as anti-virus, and, you'll most likely have to spend some time updating windows. Typically, it takes me about day to reinstall windows from scratch, with about 4 hours total labor (less if files aren't being recovered). I can walk you through every step- nothing's too complicated.  It's just time.

As far as replacing it completely, 2009 is really not that long ago.  I would say that there's a 90% chance a new $50 hard drive, a $50 OS and 4 total hours labor will get you up and running.  How does $100 compare to a new system? How much was the problem rig when you bought it new? I wouldn't just get rid of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:41:40 AM by scott123 »

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2014, 07:51:20 AM »
Total specs of the system would be nice. Also have you ever built up a desktop from scratch?
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »
thanks....can i just install a newly purchased, more up to date windows?

if it won`t install then that tells me my pc is faulty and i will just replace it.......

And if your hardware is faulty and you get a 'OEM' aka cheaper version of windows you can't swap the OS to newer hardware.  Be careful.

I'm in the same boat with an older pc with xp on it... Random reboots that kill the OS... ARRRG!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:02:54 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
was finally able to get into hp test mode....hard disk drive is caput!  >:(

scott123

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »
Bob, are you sure the drive is dead or is it showing an error?  Smart errors can be signs that a drive might be failing but they aren't always fatal- and very occasionally, they can be false positives.

The fact that you're able to reach the 4 option screen shows that the drive is at least working partially.  If the drive was completely dead, you wouldn't make it that far.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »
thanks, going to try this when we return from farmers market.....http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_you_fix_error_code_biohd-8

my laptop out here in the garage is starting to have freeze ups and sluggish momnts now too...wtf?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:17:21 PM by Chicago Bob »

scott123

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
Bob, I'm not familiar with the error code listed in that article, but the solution they present requires that the operating system loads, so that's not your answer.

When you run the HP test, what smart error(s) are you seeing?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 03:18:40 PM »
biohd-8

scott123

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 03:35:02 PM »
Biohd8 can be a hard drive issue, but it can also be a false positive:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware/HP-diagnostic-tool-errorcode-BIOHD-8-Harddrive/td-p/162380

If you read this thread, you'll see more than a few people run into this code, purchase new drives, and still end up with the same code.

Your best approach to getting to the bottom of this is to take the hard drive out of this computer, connect it to another system and then use that working system to run more advanced tests on the drive.

You might be able to burn a diagnostic tool to a cd (such as Drive Fitness Test) and see what errors that produces, but I think your best bet is to isolate the drive from the system.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »
If it sounds like a hard disk failure, and looks like a hard disk failure, it's probably a hard disk failure. 

You are such a straight shooter Bob, I'll give you advice the way you give it.  Go buy a new hard drive.  Call HP and get a restore disk on DVD, it's gonna cost you $10-$20.  Put the new drive in, and restore off the disk from HP.
-Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
If it sounds like a hard disk failure, and looks like a hard disk failure, it's probably a hard disk failure. 

You are such a straight shooter Bob, I'll give you advice the way you give it.  Go buy a new hard drive.  Call HP and get a restore disk on DVD, it's gonna cost you $10-$20.  Put the new drive in, and restore off the disk from HP.
thanks, yes, i know i would need the restore disk to  reload windows.....was hoping i might be able to just buy one at local store...best buy has hd for my machine.

scott123

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2014, 04:35:13 PM »

Jeff, respectfully, but, if you read that thread that I linked to, you'll see that entire lines of HP models are effected by false positive Biohd8 errors- literally thousands of computers. This is a well known issue with HP systems.

Even outside of HP, I run into meaningless smart errors all the time.  Smart is notoriously unreliable for detecting HD errors. It's better than nothing, but we're at least five to ten years away from reliable HD error detection (imo).

Not that a new hard drive is a bad idea. $50 (bought online) isn't a huge expenditure, and, even if the problem ends up being something else, it's good to have an extra drive floating around.

Bob, one more thing to consider.  When I've run into issues like this in the past and I've asked the people I'm helping if there's anything on the drive that can't be lost, for those that say "nope, nothing's important," most of the time, something ends up being important. I'm not saying this is you, but if you can salvage the data off the old drive, I would.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:50:41 PM by scott123 »

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »
I didn't base my comments on that logic.

If someone brought me the a computer and described the issues as Bob described his I would immediately say Hard Disk Failure.  The diagnosis tool then gives the same result.  Good enough for me.  I'll mention this for all the non-techies, Hard Disk failures are the most common hardware failures in computers.  The hard disk is the only main workhorse component of the average computer that is a mechanical device.  Mechanical devices fail, and they fail with a much higher frequency then electrical devices. 

Issues like this can be trouble shot for eons, but it is rarely ever worth it.  90% of the time the issue was the original gut feeling, and the techs time cost more then the part to fix the problem.
-Jeff

scott123

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2014, 08:12:15 PM »
If someone brought me the a computer and described the issues as Bob described his I would immediately say Hard Disk Failure.  The diagnosis tool then gives the same result.  Good enough for me.

Jeff, I fix computers for a living. First of all, fans fail more frequently than hard drives.  If it's a fan in the power supply, it will likely overheat and produce inconsistent voltages- which will wreak havoc on everything, including disk writes.  Between hardware and software failure, though, software is king- by a wide margin.  For the 15 years I've been doing this, I've seen probably 30 machines incapacitated by software to every one brought down by a hard drive failure. Not to mention, the drives I have seen fail mostly failed in the first three years. If a drive survives more than 3 years, the odds seem to improve that they'll last considerably longer. On the other hand, 5 years, the age of Bob's machine, tends to be the sweet spot for software troubles.  No matter what steps you take, over time, machines get more and more cluttered with garbage.  When it's a child's machine, this tends to happen much faster, but, for an adult, 5 years seems to be when software related trouble starts happening.

You can't get to the option screen that Bob is seeing without reading the hard drive, so we know, for certain, that the hard drive is functioning- to a point.  Smart errors, as I've said, are worthless. I've worked with drives with certain smart errors for decades. We know, from the thread that I posted, that HP builds computers, that, out of the box, come with the code Bob is seeing. I'm not saying that this isn't a HD issue, but to jump to that conclusion based upon a known completely faulty error code is premature, imo.

Everything that I've recommended to Bob is time consuming, but involves little to no expenditure.  A blank cd is not that costly.  If Bob buys a new hard drive online, it'll be $50, but if he goes to Best Buy or Staples, it will probably be north of $80. $80 is too much to spend when two 50 cent blank CDs and about an hour will, at a minimum, tell him whats wrong, and possibly even repair the issue. Bob has always struck me as a DIY kind of guy.  I'm just trying to save him some scratch. I also offered to call Bob and troubleshoot things over the phone- gratis, so in no way am I attempting to sell him my services.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
I didn't base my comments on that logic.

If someone brought me the a computer and described the issues as Bob described his I would immediately say Hard Disk Failure.  The diagnosis tool then gives the same result.  Good enough for me.  I'll mention this for all the non-techies, Hard Disk failures are the most common hardware failures in computers.  The hard disk is the only main workhorse component of the average computer that is a mechanical device.  Mechanical devices fail, and they fail with a much higher frequency then electrical devices. 

Issues like this can be trouble shot for eons, but it is rarely ever worth it.  90% of the time the issue was the original gut feeling, and the techs time cost more then the part to fix the problem.

On Jeff's last point - time is money even if it is leisure time.  A couple of months ago, I encountered a series of boot failures and it was narrowed down to the hard disk.  My son spent about 6 hours fixing the errors with various software programs that are specialized for such matters. 

The good news was most of the data was backed up and we recovered the remaining very few items that mattered.  The bad news was that the fix lasted about 2 hours and then the machine completely crapped out.  48 hours and $225 later, I had the machine back from a local tech operating perfectly and with the OS installed again.  Did a restore and moved ahead.  No doubt, it would be cheaper and easier for you, it is much easier to swap out a drive with a PC.  But, as Jeff pointed out, don't end up spending dough on replacing Windows.

This is a 2008 iMac.  To change the drive, you need a couple of special wrenches (very special because I would have to buy them) and follow a convoluted procedure including suction cups to pull the screen off.  After studying the procedure and adding in the tools, it was clear to deal with it via money and with someone better than me.

Bob, not to start a big controversy (really, I don't to do that).  if you are going to buy a brand new machine, consider a Mac.  They are pretty cheap now and unless you want to deal with Linux and it's many quirks and lack of mainstream software, it is pretty much the only other way to go.  I am sorry you are having these problems.  It does sound like you need a new drive.  These machines are now like cars.  It used to be that people repaired parts.  Now, they swap in new ones.

For me, I am holding out a little longer with my 2008 machine to see what new Apples show up this coming fall....

Good luck,
Mitch
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:47:58 PM by mitchjg »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
I've had Mac's for 20 years. The only failure was a power supply. I Luv Mac's  because they almost never give me any trouble, and I can pick and choose what updates I want. I am a digital artist and live on my puter. I have used Window machines, and it is usually harder to use the same software that I use in  my Mac. Switching to a Mac for Window users is scary, but everyone I have converted never wants to go back. If you have Window specific programs, you can run them on a Mac. So you can actually have 2 computers in one. I am using a 2007 iMac with a 24" monitor.

scott123

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2014, 08:49:25 PM »
A couple of months ago, I encountered a series of boot failures and it was narrowed down to the hard disk...  ...48 hours and $225 later, I had the machine back from a local tech operating perfectly and with the OS installed again.

Based upon the typical prices that Mac repair shops charge, it sounds a lot like $225 only bought you a clean reinstall of the OS, and not a new hard disk, so the problem wasn't the hard disk, but, rather, software. Had you gone out and bought a new drive, you would have wasted your money.

As far as Macs go... I've done considerable hardware support for Macs, and,  before that I put in about a decade doing graphic design in Mac only shops.  At one point, a long time ago, Macs were using proprietary hardware, but now, the innards are identical.  Once you get into identical components, failure rates are the same. Fans and hard drives fail on Macs just as frequently as they do on PCs.

Having been a graphic designer for all that time, I've spent many hours using photoshop in Mac and Windows.  The experience has been identical. 

The only clear advantage that I've seen with Macs is for movie editing.  If I edited movies, I might build a Hackintosh. Other than that, you're paying about twice the price for the same components.