Author Topic: windows won`t load  (Read 1760 times)

scott123

Re: windows won`t load
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2014, 09:03:54 PM »
Bob, I did a little digging and found out that HP has a recovery partition on the computers they sell:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N108

Apparently, you hit F10 (or F11) as the machine is booting.

This recovery process will most likely wipe your drive, so make sure there's nothing on there that you want to save before going through with this process.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
Based upon the typical prices that Mac repair shops charge, it sounds a lot like $225 only bought you a clean reinstall of the OS, and not a new hard disk, so the problem wasn't the hard disk, but, rather, software. Had you gone out and bought a new drive, you would have wasted your money.

I won't speak to the rest of your post - to each his own.  On the hard disk - I got a new one and I am certain of it - really certain certain.  You made an assumption and it was a bad one.  The problem was the disk.  It was not software.  The drive was replaced.  In other words, you are wrong.  Confident, yes.  But, wrong.

scott123

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 09:09:05 PM »
 ;D Alright, Mitch.  I've never heard of anyone getting a new drive on a Mac and a clean reinstall for $225, but I guess you found the rare Mac service shop that doesn't price gouge :)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 09:33:18 PM »
Bob, I did a little digging and found out that HP has a recovery partition on the computers they sell:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en#N108

Apparently, you hit F10 (or F11) as the machine is booting.

This recovery process will most likely wipe your drive, so make sure there's nothing on there that you want to save before going through with this process.
been there....it won`t load.

you know....i don`t HEAR the drive running anymore.....like especially on startup, used to hear loud spinng noise.
you kno
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
found this local for 65 bucks.....http://www.intrex.com/parts/parts.aspx
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:58:01 PM by Chicago Bob »

scott123

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »
found this local for 65 bucks.....http://www.intrex.com/parts/parts.aspx

Bob, are you talking about the Seagate Barracuda 500 gb?  It's $50 on amazon, but $65 is pretty reasonable. I have had slightly better luck with Western Digital drives, but, these days, it's a bit of a crap shoot with either brand.  If the drive is DOA, local will be easier for a return.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 10:00:53 PM »
Bob, are you talking about the Seagate Barracuda 500 gb?  It's $50 on amazon, but $65 is pretty reasonable. I have had slightly better luck with Western Digital drives, but, these days, it's a bit of a crap shoot with either brand.  If the drive is DOA, local will be easier for a return.
yes, sorry....link won`t take to part page
but yes, the seagate.

is the reason everone here was saying `don`t buy windows again` because i can simply get a restore from HP?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:03:36 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 12:03:45 PM »
                                                                      UPDATE

Played around and got blue screen to not flash and disappear, says....

UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME

i don`t have the original windows install cd, is that needed if i want to try the `change bios to start/boot on cd-rom instead of hard drive, then press r` ?

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
bob

do you know what the specs are of the computer? you might be better off buying a new computer for like $300 if you are going to be dishing out money to just repair it.

I wish i still had my friend that worked at microsoft, she was able to get me copies of windows for $20 each

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
CB,
I had this same problem with an HP/windows machine. In my case I had all of my family's info,taxes pictures, movies (it was media host) etc.  After replacing the hard disk and attempting to use the HP recovery tools which to my shock would only let one recover from back ups from removable media (floppies!) not CD-r or in my case an external disk.

After smashing the computer to bits in the back yard with my son (excellent father son bonding over a irrational response to failure) we went to the mall and bought a laptop for him and I bought 2 refurbished MacBooks for my wife & I. My son installed Linux on his laptop.

I've replaced the hard drive twice in my MB. Once due to a noise that sounded weird and one to add capacity. Both the upgrades and data restoration were simple and loss free.

My son has been using that same laptop with Linux for more than 5 years. Same with the two MacBooks. 

I always wondered what the issue was with that HP Media Center as it had eaten up so much time in diagnosis and rebuilding data from other sources. Many weekends and late nights. A friend of mine who is a DataCenter engineer & one of the best network architects I know had a similar problem on one of his PCs (a Dell) and narrowed it down to a driver update pushed out by Microsoft as a Windows Update however, it required a BIOS update that needed to be installed prior to the Windows Update.

CB - it's been years without worrying about downtime or data loss.  I would offer that if your going to spend good money on a new machine - please look at Apple & other Linux OS options.  You may never have to spend the weekend worrying about your computer.

Best of luck!,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
bob

do you know what the specs are of the computer? you might be better off buying a new computer for like $300 if you are going to be dishing out money to just repair it.

I wish i still had my friend that worked at microsoft, she was able to get me copies of windows for $20 each
posted spec link on previous page here noz.....tis a fairly respectable unit....for my needs anyway.  am learning alot of stuff though here messing with this broke down hag.....i`m feeling like an IT professional already man!!   :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 01:12:50 PM »
CB,
I had this same problem with an HP/windows machine. In my case I had all of my family's info,taxes pictures, movies (it was media host) etc.  After replacing the hard disk and attempting to use the HP recovery tools which to my shock would only let one recover from back ups from removable media (floppies!) not CD-r or in my case an external disk.

After smashing the computer to bits in the back yard with my son (excellent father son bonding over a irrational response to failure) we went to the mall and bought a laptop for him and I bought 2 refurbished MacBooks for my wife & I. My son installed Linux on his laptop.

I've replaced the hard drive twice in my MB. Once due to a noise that sounded weird and one to add capacity. Both the upgrades and data restoration were simple and loss free.

My son has been using that same laptop with Linux for more than 5 years. Same with the two MacBooks. 

I always wondered what the issue was with that HP Media Center as it had eaten up so much time in diagnosis and rebuilding data from other sources. Many weekends and late nights. A friend of mine who is a DataCenter engineer & one of the best network architects I know had a similar problem on one of his PCs (a Dell) and narrowed it down to a driver update pushed out by Microsoft as a Windows Update however, it required a BIOS update that needed to be installed prior to the Windows Update.

CB - it's been years without worrying about downtime or data loss.  I would offer that if your going to spend good money on a new machine - please look at Apple & other Linux OS options.  You may never have to spend the weekend worrying about your computer.

Best of luck!,
Don
Thanks Don!!   i like the way you respond to these suckey sues....maybe we will get to smash mine together, then go in the house and make some pizzas.   :chef:

i got a laptop here too that is just about begging me to put a fist through it.... ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:15:19 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:24 PM »
what the hell is a disk drive anyway and why do you loose your files if you take it out and put a new one in...ain`t that what those memory cards are for?   sheesh!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
if the DD won`t spin anymore how the heck you supposed to `save` the info on it?

where in the world is your windows info stored?

can`t you jus take that disc out of the DD that won`t spin no more and put the disk in a new drive that does spin?

I WANNA KNOW THE TRUTH!!!     :'(

...i can handle it.  8)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:32:02 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »
If you change the boot up location, it just attempts to start from your cd drive first, instead of checking the harddrive for an operating system.   But if your harddrive was what took a dump and you dont have a reinstall cd, now you are buying a new harddrive and an operating system?

Just download an illegal copy of xp, theres tons out there.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 01:37:14 PM »
If you change the boot up location, it just attempts to start from your cd drive first, instead of checking the harddrive for an operating system.   But if your harddrive was what took a dump and you dont have a reinstall cd, now you are buying a new harddrive and an operating system?

Just download an illegal copy of xp, theres tons out there.
i know man....THAT`S WHAT I ASKED......so, you need a copy of windows sitting in the dvd drive tray or what?

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2014, 01:39:23 PM »
yep.. and it will come up on the screen giving you prompts of how you want to load it ( onto your new hardrive that you have to buy if its bad )

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2014, 01:40:20 PM »
Bob, I'd love that! 
Here is some "historical documents" you can use to love vicariously thru my bad example! Or become inspired  :-D

Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
I think if you take Don's approach to fixing your computer, as per the pictures, it might be an expensive fix. 

Its crazy looking online at harddrive prices and sizes.. its retardedly cheap as compared to what it used to be!!   I remember buying 40 gig harddrives thinking i was cool.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
Bob, I'd love that! 
Here is some "historical documents" you can use to love vicariously thru my bad example! Or become inspired  :-D

Cheers,
Don
why....i belive i see one of those xpce2/7rc-mnm super nato gunboat MotherBoards in there don...a real shame you an the boy did`nt salvage THAT!!!     :-D

i think that is all mine needs... :'(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:53:02 PM by Chicago Bob »