Author Topic: My homemade electric brick oven  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Iowamcnabb

My homemade electric brick oven
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »
I have built this oven over the course of the last few months and finally found time to share the pictures.  I made my first pizzas in it on Saturday and will post the results later on

Offline Iowamcnabb

Re: My homemade electric brick oven
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
more

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:00:14 AM »
progress

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »
a few more

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
I'll post a summary of the build tonight for anyone interested. 

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »
That is really cool!!!!

Offline scott123

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »
Element wattage?

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:24:43 PM »
I'll post a summary of the build tonight for anyone interested.
I love it.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm subscribed (aka "notify").  Yes, please share the build summary and pie pictures.  I'm confident other forum members will be interested as well.  Nice tile work, among other things.  Very professional.

Like Scott, I'd love to know the wattage and possibly a picture of the inside of the upper hood.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:29:27 PM by Tampa »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
First one of these I've seen so far. Pretty cool. Now let's see if it was worth all the effort (pie pics).

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 03:50:55 PM »
Thanks guys.  I started out with a pizza bella after catching the neapolitan bug.  I live on the third floor of an apartment complex so a brick oven or blackstone were not options. 

Oven build

I stared by cutting the legs down on a 22.5 inch kettle grill.  I then lined the bottom with foil and filled it with loose perlite.  I cut a piece of stainless to cover and provide a strong platform and layered ceramic blanket on top of that.  A 19 inch kiln shelf was next serving as my oven floor. 

The dome was formed off of an 18 inch kettle top using refractory cement.  A 1650 watt heating element was suspended front the ceiling using nichrome wiring.  That was attached to 16 gauge high temp wiring and a kiln infinite controller to adjust the heat.  After that was installed the dome was cured for 5 days and attached to the kiln shelf using refractory mortar.  Several layers of ceramic blanket went on top.

Tiling
I glued the tiles on individually using non toxic glue and then used an epoxy grout to finish it all off. 

The dome gets to 900 degrees in about 1hr and 30 min and the floor is at around 800 to 850.  The top is about 200 degrees on the outside and cool to the touch on the bottom. 

My first bake was this weekend and we did three pies all taking about 90 seconds.   I still don't know what I'm doing but I'm happy with the results so far.   I will post pics as soon as I get them off my wife's camera.  I took video too I will eventually upload.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:54:22 PM by Iowamcnabb »

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »
First is a margherita with buffalo mozz second is marg with cows milk mozz and the third is mushroom with smoked mozz.   I used a 36 hour ferment and ischia starter.  Overall I'm very happy with the performance but really have so much to learn regarding oven management.  The buffalo was by far the best pizza and was launched when the deck was 830ish? 

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 04:28:55 PM »
Surprised to see the result from only 1650 watts.  If you could get this thing on a 20 amp circuit and add a little more heat I'd be really curious to see where that leads.

One safety note.  Many, if not most cartable refractories are electrically conductive at temperature.  With the element connected to the casting via nichrome you have created a potential path for electricity.  I don't know what refractory you used, and the risk is probably low, but it is there none the less.
-Jeff

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
Thanks for the concern Jeff.  I did ground the element and attach to GFCI but I understand electricity is no joke. 

As far as more heat goes, I can get the dome closer to 1000 but I still don't have a feel for floor management yet.  I may down the road need to drop the element another 1/2 inch to reduce bake times
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:41:50 PM by Iowamcnabb »

Offline scott123

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
Internal oven dimensions?  What are the dimensions of the element?

You're using malted flour, correct?

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »
Internal oven dimensions?  What are the dimensions of the element?

You're using malted flour, correct?

Scott, I used GM neapolitan flour. 

The internals are 17 inches wide 5 inches tall with the element around 4 1/2 inches from the deck.  The element is between 9 and 10 inches. 

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
looks awesome ...I did have a thought of tiling my blackstone for grins and giggles ... :-D

Offline Iowamcnabb

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
looks awesome ...I did have a thought of tiling my blackstone for grins and giggles ... :-D

If you decide to you might need to insulate first as the glue and grout can only handle 250 to 300 degrees. Always fun to tinker haha  :)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 08:09:48 AM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing.  I agree that it is difficult to be the master of all things from the get-go (oven, electricity, tile, insulation, flour, yeast, fermentation, char points, forum fotography  :D, etc.) 

You should have seen my first pies... :-D

Great job.

Dave

Offline dulcevita

• Feed your enemy's pizza...and have no enemy's.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »
Nice!!!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:05 PM »
Iowamcnabb, that is a seriously cool project. I love it!  Looks like a mini Stefano Ferrara!