Author Topic: Starting a pizza business  (Read 456 times)

Offline kajito

• I Love Pizza!
Starting a pizza business
« on: July 15, 2014, 02:41:39 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a new member and very happy to have found this forum. Just recently I started researching the pizza business and I am seriously considering opening a pizzeria here in NYC.
I will look over the Q/A here on the forum before asking questions but for now if there's any tidbit of advice or information you'd like to share with me I would appreciate it, thanks!

scott123

Re: Starting a pizza business
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 03:15:17 PM »
Kajito, welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in NYC are you planning on opening shop?  In your profile you list your favorite pizza as 'Neapolitan.' Are you planning on opening a Neapolitan place?

NYC is EXTREMELY competitive when it comes to pizza.  The Neapolitan places all pretty much make quality pies and are relatively well dispersed.  Depending on the area(s) you're looking at, you might find a community that isn't being served very well (perhaps Long Island?), but I think it's few and few between (and less and less every day as new places pop up).

The NY style places, with the exception of a small handful of standouts, put out a surprising mediocre quality of pizza. Mediocre as it is, though, they sell a LOT of it, and, unfortunately, those massive sales tend to drive a considerable amount of brand loyalty.  To draw customers away, you're pizza can't be just 'good,' it has to blow your competitors away. We're talking a quality of pizza whereby the majority of the people who taste it strongly classify it as the best pizza they've ever had.

If you go the Neapolitan route, the pizza should be stellar, but I think success with Neapolitan is a bit more location related than quality related.

As far as making best the best pizza in the world, there's a lot of information here that's obviously helpful in that regard, but, I think the most important thing for the aspiring pizzeria owner to be aware of is that learning how to make great pizza takes a great deal of time and energy. This forum sees a bewildering number of aspiring pizzeria owners with stars in their eyes laboring under the misconception that pizza basically makes itself.  I'm not saying this is you, but I can't stress enough the fact that if you want to be successful, especially in a market such as this, you better be ready to roll your sleeves up and get your hands dirty- the sooner the better.  This means mastering pizza at home long before you open shop.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am a new member and very happy to have found this forum. Just recently I started researching the pizza business and I am seriously considering opening a pizzeria here in NYC.
I will look over the Q/A here on the forum before asking questions but for now if there's any tidbit of advice or information you'd like to share with me I would appreciate it, thanks!
good luck, you will need it. i would not attempt this for all the tea in china. move 20 miles away and at least give yourself a fighting chance, understand?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
good luck, you will need it. i would not attempt this for all the tea in china. move 20 miles away and at least give yourself a fighting chance, understand?

I can't speak for 20 miles east (Long Island), but 20 miles North and 20 miles West can get more competitive on the NY style side. 

Offline kajito

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 03:42:27 PM »
Neapolitan is what I enjoy eating but I'm still researching the type of pizza that I want to sell.
Right now I'm going on a pizza tour around my town tasting different types of pizza. I play around
a lot with dough here at home and I have my own recipe but I haven't nailed my perfect recipe yet
I'm sure this will take years. BTW I don't shy away from fierce competition...understand;-)?
Anyway thanks guys I will look over the forum for more information but for now thanks for the advice
it was very helpful.