Author Topic: Average Consumer Eats Pizza 3.4x per Month  (Read 651 times)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
Average Consumer Eats Pizza 3.4x per Month
« on: July 15, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
Sometimes I see these studies and wonder if foodservice consultants aren't feeding their business model.  Maybe not. 
Eating pizza an average of 3.4 time/month seems high, except for this forum, where the norm is per week. :-D
Dave
=

From: https://blogs.technomic.com/the-evolving-pizza-landscape/

The Evolving Pizza Landscape
March 19, 2014 by Deanna Jordan

Pizza is undoubtedly one of America’s favorite foods, with the pizza category representing a significant proportion of limited-service sales and bested only by the burger category. Technomic’s 2014 Pizza Consumer Trend Report finds that 75 percent of consumers eat pizza twice a month or more often, and consumers report an average of 3.4 pizza occasions per month.

Although consumption is high, it seems to have decreased just slightly over the past two years, likely peaking post-recession due to pizza’s ability to satisfy cravings and meet needs for value. Pizza will surely maintain its prominent place in the foodservice industry; however, evolution is underway, as the fast-casual pizza segment gains momentum and pushes pizza players to focus on innovative, high-quality pizzas served in a more upscale environment.

What is Fast-Casual Pizza?
 With full-service casual-dining traffic contracting as consumers flock to limited-service formats, pizza operators have found themselves in a prime position to carve out a new and emerging niche in fast casual restaurants. In fact, 55 percent of consumers report visiting fast-casual pizza concepts at least monthly. This proportion may be inflated, however, considering this is a new category lacking clear definition among many consumers.

Customization, speed of service and an affordable price point are the core attributes of the newest fast-casual pizza concepts. Made-to-order preparations, a wide variety of ingredients and artisanal quality typify the menu. Regional development deals will increasingly spur growth of the category, strengthening brand visibility of fast-casual pizza chains in new markets.

Major restaurant brands, such as Chipotle and California Pizza Kitchen, are even getting in on the action, applying customization formats, contemporary interior designs and high-quality ingredients to new fast-casual pizza joints and test concepts.

A Changing Pizza Category
 The fast-casual pizza trend marks a move away from delivery and discounting, two pillars that limited-service pizza chains rely upon. Both of these factors are still highly important to consumers, but leading traditional pizza players are also focusing on value and revamping their menus and concepts to align more closely with the fast-casual pizza experience.

This will help traditional pizza players stay relevant, since data reveals that several strengths among fast-casual pizza concepts are of high importance to the pizza occasion. Diners are placing increasing emphasis on pizza variety; 74 percent of consumers (up from 70 percent in 2012) say that a wide variety of topping options is important for creating a good pizza. But variety is nothing without quality; 43 percent of consumers patronize their preferred pizza concept because it uses high-quality, fresh ingredients, and 84 percent say fresh toppings are important in creating a good pizza.

To meet these consumer demands, limited-service pizza chains are putting more emphasis on pizza quality through hand-tossed, artisan preparations and differentiated crust offerings. Underscoring this point, consumers note that preparation style strongly impacts their taste quality perceptions; 45 percent say that brick-oven pizza tastes better than pizza cooked in an electric oven, and more than a quarter agree that wood-fired pizza tastes better (32 percent) and is higher quality (26 percent) than electric-oven pizza. Fast-casual pizzas are often cooked in hearth-style ovens that tend to be the centerpiece of a restaurant’s design, giving these concepts another leg up in terms of quality.

Navigating New Territory
 Although the pizza landscape is changing, operators can take comfort in the fact that pizza occasions are still driven by the things they do best—satisfying cravings, affordability and convenience. In fact, being in the mood for pizza, reasonable prices and the lack of time or energy to cook are the top three drivers of consumers’ most recent pizza occasion. Finding a balance between meeting consumers’ needs for convenience and affordability while also offering a variety of high-quality, premium menu items will be key to staying successful as the pizza landscape evolves.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Average Consumer Eats Pizza 3.4x per Month
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:40:46 PM »
what do you think fuels all those top4 mcpizza dives ? It sure ain`t Guy Fierri.....on the run, chasing that dream new media mcpizza families eat that garbage AT LEAST once a week....take dat to da bank Barretta.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
3.4 doesn't seem that high at all to me. There are tons of families out there that have friday night pizza night. Plus add in the weekly pizza day mainly schools have, birthday parties, swim parties, homemade pizza, frozen pizzas etc etc and it adds up. Last statistic I had heard was even higher, at 47 times per year. Plus I wonder if leftovers counts as a second meal and second time.

I think many people eat it 6-8 months to make up for those who only eat it twice a year.

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
I don't know whether I'm proud or ashamed to say I eat pizza for supper three times during a slow week.  Leftovers, which rarely exist in my home, do not count.  :angel:
Josh

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
Sometimes I see these studies and wonder if foodservice consultants aren't feeding their business model.  Maybe not. 
Eating pizza an average of 3.4 time/month seems high, except for this forum, where the norm is per week. :-D
Dave

^^^ about the folks on this site.  I looked back at my "dough log book" and I eat pizza on average 4-6 times every 10 days. Now all the pizza pictures on my phone make sense  :-[    That was more than I thought!

what do you think fuels all those top4 mcpizza dives ? It sure ain`t Guy Fierri.....on the run, chasing that dream new media mcpizza families eat that garbage

It's disturbing to think about all the fast foods that get consumed either by choice or out of necessity. I have always been the cook in the house and make meals every day since I was on my own.  My kids - not so much (even though my son, 22, is a vegan who oddly does not enjoy salad)  in his case, potato chips, a huge bowl of rice, or 8 bananas can pass for a meal.  It's not that they didn't see me cooking, help while learning, etc.  It almost seems they are simply ambivalent about what they eat.  A friend of mine in my 20's used to say, "I eat for survival - not for taste."  Wondering how I could spend the day making fresh pasta or whatever. So - I don't think it's generational.  But just like they think a day cooking is a wasted day - eating only for calories?  What's the point.  It's like breathing only for oxygen and not caring about scents.
I wonder what the demographics are of some of these survey respondents ???

Cheers,
Don
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:01:57 PM by Donjo911 »
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »
Don,
Would it be wrong of me to share that 4-6/10 may qualify as a pizza disorder and your son may be simian? :-D
Dave

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
at one point i used to eat pizza 8-10/10..........and i wouldn`t consider myself disordered in the least bit...would you?  >:D

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
Wife's business trip + opportunity to test new dough formulation = pizza every day
Wifes return + disparaging comments about all the buckets of flour in the pantry = salads!

It's funny - I have been known to call him "ape hands" as he can gracefully reach from the 1st to 7th fret!
When I read that back - I realize that because of his being very colicky as a child - he was on the BRAT diet a lot - so maybe I broke him by feeding him too many Bananas, Rice, (he eats lots of ) Apples, and Toast too!

Thanks for making me laugh!

Cheers,
Don
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:45:03 PM by Donjo911 »

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »

Don,
Would it be wrong of me to share that 4-6/10 may qualify as a pizza disorder and your son may be simian? :-D
Dave

at one point i used to eat pizza 8-10/10..........and i wouldn`t consider myself disordered in the least bit...would you?  >:D

Pizzaconsumptionsism disorder is a disease of denial.  I don't deny it - therefore, I have no disorder! :angel:

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
3 times since Monday. What's today? Oh dear.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »
3 times since Monday. What's today? Oh dear.
today is friday so you have some catching up to do sir.   :)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:47:20 PM »

At one point I made/ate pizza almost every day for two years. There were maybe 15 days each of those years that I didn't eat pizza, but there were also at least 15 days in each of those years that I ate more than one pizza.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 01:17:37 AM »
At one point I made/ate pizza almost every day for two years. There were maybe 15 days each of those years that I didn't eat pizza, but there were also at least 15 days in each of those years that I ate more than one pizza.

Leftovers.  I get it.  You make three 18" pies at night... It's pizza for breakfast and lunch.  I say we're just testing reheating properties and methods/substrates.

Or we'd just eat pizza all the time ::) :pizza: :drool:

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »
No, I've only ever made one 18" pizza. During the span I alluded to (back around 2004), I pretty much only made 10"-12" pseudo-NY style pizza, so there were rarely leftovers. Making pizza every night is how I taught myself a lot of the pizza-geek basics before there was much of any useful pizzamaking information or guidance available on the internet (or anywhere else).

Inexperienced pizzamakers today have it easy when it comes to learning the basics. They can learn in less than a week some of the things that took me many years to figure out on my own, as I was guided only by factually-wrong cookbooks and Food Network posers (who I thought knew something about pizza). But I think years of trial and error with no expert guidance may have given me some kind of troubleshooting knowledge that you can't get when you're given most of the right answers right from the start.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »

Inexperienced pizzamakers today have it easy when it comes to learning the basics. They can learn in less than a week some of the things that took me many years to figure out on my own, as I was guided only by factually-wrong cookbooks and Food Network posers (who I thought knew something about pizza). But I think years of trial and error with no expert guidance may have given me some kind of troubleshooting knowledge that you can't get when you're given most of the right answers right from the start.

^^^   This site is the best single repository of pizza tutelage one can find.  Especially, with advanced search capabilities!

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 09:36:48 AM »
EXACTLY why, as far as food businesses go, pizza is such a good bet..........pizza is ordered for EVERY event, a couple times a week for dinner.   The drawback is the competition.....but, if you stive for a high end product......the comp goes down tremendously.

pizzapan