Author Topic: Do Chua (Pickled Daikon/Carrot) for Banh Mi Rolls  (Read 433 times)

Offline Jackitup

Do Chua (Pickled Daikon/Carrot) for Banh Mi Rolls
« on: July 15, 2014, 11:17:25 PM »
Made a gallon of this tonite for one of my top favorite sandwiches, the Vietnamese Banh Mi Roll!! If you haven't tried one of these little subs on steroids you must, and will become instantly addicted. They are a truly an original, sandwich that pack a mouthful of flavor in every bite. It's a combination of the texture of the baguette, daikon/carrot mix, cilantro, jalapenos and whatever meat or combo of meats usually accompanied with a bit of liverwurst or pate. Not a huge sandwich, just very good. A must is the veggie mix though! The next time you are at or near a Vietnamese joint order a few, they usually have daily specials of buy 3 get 4th free kind of deal and only 3-4 bucks a pop!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

Re: Do Chua (Pickled Daikon/Carrot) for Banh Mi Rolls
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:52:22 PM »
Forgot, the brine was a 50/50 mix of rice vinegar and water with some extra white vinegar added to top it off, sugar, salt and for a twist added some pounded lemon grass and the zest of one orange with a dab of habs tossed in

jon

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:04:10 AM »
Yum... ;D
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:16:56 AM »
I was thinking you would approve :-D I'll bet some different flavored seitan pseudo-meats would make a great banh mi. As I remember, one of my favorite Vietnamese joints had veggie banh mi's with mock duck. I'll have to try one. I made seitan a couple times and have to say, it wasn't bad. Poached it in a beefy broth and had a very firm, dense, noodle type of texture that was pretty good. Weird, but good :P

jon

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:37:59 AM »
Made a gallon of this tonite for one of my top favorite sandwiches, the Vietnamese Banh Mi Roll!! If you haven't tried one of these little subs on steroids you must, and will become instantly addicted. They are a truly an original, sandwich that pack a mouthful of flavor in every bite. It's a combination of the texture of the baguette, daikon/carrot mix, cilantro, jalapenos and whatever meat or combo of meats usually accompanied with a bit of liverwurst or pate. Not a huge sandwich, just very good. A must is the veggie mix though! The next time you are at or near a Vietnamese joint order a few, they usually have daily specials of buy 3 get 4th free kind of deal and only 3-4 bucks a pop!!!

I love bahn mi. We have many Vietnamese joints in our area so bahn mi are very plentiful here. There are some pretty funky meats, I must say. I usually stay with chicken or meatloaf.  Jon, how long do you usually let the veggie mix sit?  A few days? 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:39:37 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:31:11 AM »
I love bahn mi. We have many Vietnamese joints in our area so bahn mi are very plentiful here. There are some pretty funky meats, I must say. I usually stay with chicken or meatloaf.  Jon, how long do you usually let the veggie mix sit?  A few days? 

Hah, mine are going to be meatloaf and liverwurst tomorrow for work. 1st day back in 3 weeks.....SIGH :( That red pork is great in a banh mi as are the red meatballs and pork belly or pork rinds....LOVE EM ALL!! Overnite veggies they are good to go, after 3-4 days best. Just remembered I have some ginger in the fridge I had to use so I added some of that too. VERY fragrant and tasty with the combo of lemon grass, orange zest and ginger,can't wait for lunch about this time tomorrow nite.  They are great on a peanut butter sandwich too!!

jon

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:41:18 PM »
Vietnamese sandwiches are the bomb. Not overly filling, but very fresh and flavorful. Your description is spot on. Most places have some sort of red chilli paste, and will happily lay on a healthy smear or two if asked  >:D

Your do chua looks good!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 03:31:51 PM »
Banh Mi is something I've been meaning to make at home. Ever since I've moved away from an area with a very diverse population I've missed out on Falafel, Indian, and Vietnamese food. There was a sandwich shop I went to that only sold Banh Mi and Pho....

The Banh Mi, a barbecue, roasted pork with the pickled daikon and carrots, fresh jalapeņos, and cilantro on a crusty baguette....unreal. I wish I knew how to make the pork.

Offline parallei

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:31:03 PM »
I wish I knew how to make the pork.

Here is the one I use.  Our Hong Kong Chinese friends approve!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
wonder where you get those nice thick soy sauces he used?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:24:29 AM »
What kind of bread are you using?

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 07:30:06 AM »
What kind of bread are you using?

Can't beat a great French baguette for a proper banh mi. I also like those square ciabatta buns from Welmart, unconventional but I like them :P

jon

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
I've tried to make Banh Mi rolls before...but just haven't found anything that is quite like the bread in vietnam.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 02:04:44 AM »
I've tried to make Banh Mi rolls before...but just haven't found anything that is quite like the bread in vietnam.

I would LOVE to go there and try a banh mi along with a whole bunch more of their food!! Maybe I'll come back as a wealthy foodie and eat my way around the world. THAT would be so fun!! :drool: :drool: The banh mi kick started from the French that were in Vietnam and the Vietnamese folk adopted their small baguettes and started a sandwich craze that has become one of my favorites. I'm lucky to have some great places in St Paul that make some really good ones!

jon

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
I picked up a Daikon radish the size of my arm today. Going to make Takuwan for sushi rolls. Traditionally they use yellow food coloring to turn them yellow, but a local sushi joint i goto uses green food coloring. It was fun trying to figure out what that green crunchy thing in these awesome sushi rolls was. Finally after hours od google searching for "Pico" i realized the sushi chef was saying "pickle" then a few searches later here i am..lol

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
I would LOVE to go there and try a banh mi along with a whole bunch more of their food!! Maybe I'll come back as a wealthy foodie and eat my way around the world. THAT would be so fun!! :drool: :drool: The banh mi kick started from the French that were in Vietnam and the Vietnamese folk adopted their small baguettes and started a sandwich craze that has become one of my favorites. I'm lucky to have some great places in St Paul that make some really good ones!

jon

I go there yearly for volunteer work in education nurses there in Emergency Medicine.  I love it there, could easily see myself as an expat there someday...

Incredible food.  This year I discovered a sweet dish there that was a buttered and toasted bread roll with sweetened condensed milk reduction to pour over it...incredible.