Author Topic: email link to this site seems suspect.  (Read 503 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
email link to this site seems suspect.
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
I received this message when clicking on the link to PM.com that I got in my email notification. Anyone else see this?

This is probably not the site you are looking for!

You attempted to reach www.pizzamaking.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as pizzamaking.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of www.pizzamaking.com.

You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.

Proceed anyway Back to safety

Help me understand

When you connect to a secure website, the server hosting that site presents your browser with something called a "certificate" to verify its identity. This certificate contains identity information, such as the address of the website, which is verified by a third party that your mobile device trusts. By checking that the address in the certificate matches the address of the website, it is possible to verify that you are securely communicating with the website you intended, and not a third party (such as an attacker on your network).

In this case, the address listed in the certificate does not match the address of the website your browser tried to go to. One possible reason for this is that your communications are being intercepted by an attacker who is presenting a certificate for a different website, which would cause a mismatch. Another possible reason is that the server is set up to return the same certificate for multiple websites, including the one you are attempting to visit, even though that certificate is not valid for all of those websites. Chromium can say for sure that you reached pizzamaking.com, but cannot verify that that is the same site as www.pizzamaking.com which you intended to reach. If you proceed, Chromium will not check for any further name mismatches.

"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: email link to this site seems suspect.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »
I received this message when clicking on the link to PM.com that I got in my email notification. Anyone else see this?

What was the link?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »
Mark,
Did you recently clean up your tmp. files or "clean" your hard drive?  If you dumped your cookies - (sounds like you may have been using Google Chrome as your browser) perhaps, this is the first time you visited the site after doing that kind of system maintenance?

Following with interest.

Sincerely,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 07:41:40 PM »
D
Mark,
Did you recently clean up your tmp. files or "clean" your hard drive?  If you dumped your cookies - (sounds like you may have been using Google Chrome as your browser) perhaps, this is the first time you visited the site after doing that kind of system maintenance?

Following with interest.

Sincerely,
Don

Don, yes recently I had to have a factory reset to correct a software error. So if that is the case, should I just ignore the warning. I have been instead to to the internet app, (galaxy s3) and getting to the posts that way.

Mark

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 07:47:42 PM »
What was the link?

here is what I see on the right side of the screen when I highlight an email notification from the PM site telling me there has been a new post that I am following:
After clicking on the  (view the reply at :http .....) I got the message posted above.

I just tried again and the message did not appear. ??????

Mark

"A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by Steve.

View the reply at: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32917.new;topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?action=notify;topic=32917.0

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

Regards,
The Pizza Making Forum Team."

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 07:54:33 PM »
something got into my laptop 2 days ago and it is really,really bad...ads everywhere...i can hardly navigate on this beloved site man....i am going to have to take this laptop to be cleaned...where should i take it folks?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »
something got into my laptop 2 days ago and it is really,really bad...ads everywhere...i can hardly navigate on this beloved site man....i am going to have to take this laptop to be cleaned...where should i take it folks?

Take it to the CAR WASH :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:04:34 PM »
Take it to the CAR WASH :-D
i don`t want to bother you while you are at work.

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
I just tried again and the message did not appear. ??????

Usually those type of errors result from using a SSL connection (https) ... I support SSL but I don't have a signed certificate so you'll get an "untrusted" error if you use it (but the connection will still be encrypted).
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 12:21:05 AM »
Usually those type of errors result from using a SSL connection (https) ... I support SSL but I don't have a signed certificate so you'll get an "untrusted" error if you use it (but the connection will still be encrypted).

Thanks, Steve!

Say what ??? .

No idea :'( :'( .

Mark

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:59 AM »
Steve should validate this.

If it were me - I'd:

Go into my virus/security software and make sure that the pizza making.com forum is not blocked or suspect to challenges by you IDS software.  That is away to do.  At some level it's a risk in that your saying PM.com is ALWAYS safe.  At the same time..a targeted attack on you (or anyone)  thru pizza making.com is far from common.

Make sure your primary computer has all of its BIOS updates as well as all updates from MicroSoft for your OS. I am unfamiliar with your phone but you'd probably want to ensure its at the most current level of its OS (android) and any supplemental drivers (IDK)

Whatever you need - well help

Cheers,
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 08:17:58 AM »
I had somewhat of the same problem (untrusted error) when using my Android phone for awhile.  I was not logged in to pizzamaking.com on my cell.  It did not seem to matter if I went through my emails/or tried to get here by Google.  I always got the “The site's security certificate is not trusted” for the forum.  Since I logged in on my cell I do not have that problem anymore.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Thanks, Steve!

Say what ??? .

No idea :'( :'( .

Mark

Mark/Norma,
Check your security software and/or your browser's "Trusted Internet Sites". There may be some sites you have added as trusted already -or not.  Adding pizzamaking.com as a trusted site to one or both the browser and/or security software you use. 

Chicago Bob,
I cleaned out my bro-in-laws windows machine that was doing similar things.  You can go into Add Remove Programs and one by one Remove individual programs that you identify as programs that should not be installed or which you did not choose to install yourself. 

As this happened recently, you can choose to order your applications by most recently installed.  This will help you identify recent add/changes to your computer that you did not install on purpose.  Frequently, when you add a toolbar or element to an existing toolbar, part of accepting the use rights of the handy 'time-saver' also includes a bunch of adware and other crap you didn't ask for and don't need.

You have to be a little careful.  Clearly you don't want to Remove and programs that you use or primary programs need to function.  I kept another browser window open so I could copy/paste the name of any program I was unfamiliar with into the browser to learn more about it.  This takes time as well - but you'll learn more about your system while doing your system maintenance.

There is another step you can try separate from the above. If you boot windows and hold down F8 you will have options to start Windows in safe mode; safe mode with networking; safe mode with command prompt.  If you choose safe mode with networking and use your computer as normal, you will be able to determine if the problem persists through your use. If it does not - let us know.  You may have something in you boot record that should not be there.

Cheers,
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »

Mark/Norma,
Check your security software and/or your browser's "Trusted Internet Sites". There may be some sites you have added as trusted already -or not.  Adding pizzamaking.com as a trusted site to one or both the browser and/or security software you use. 

Cheers,
Don

Don,

I did not have the problem on my PC.  It was only on my cell.  I don't know how to change the security software on my cell, but do know there is some security there.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
thanks don!
ii had been starting to  wittle away at removals.....didn`t rrealize youcan sort by most recent, that will help. also, i am on a laptop from germany so that adds to the confusion/fun too.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:19:37 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Don, your suggestions are exactly what the computer guy did on my pic recently. Took him an hour or so.

Bob, I feel the $ I gave to the computer tech was well spent.

Actually I know so little about computers, I don't understand why they even let me on the internet?

Mark

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
Thanks Mark.  I hope that means your computer issues are resolved.  And, enjoy the not so subtle irony that a system designed largely for command and control of US military assets and funded by partly by DARPA is now used by almost 50% the humans on the planet! 

P.S: Tampa had a big hand in inventing the modern PC.  The people on the forum are AMAZING!

Cheers,
Don

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
                                                              UPDATE!!

i smashed that little cockarocha don!!   it was called AtuZi

lil shitz was hiding on the program alphabetical list page......clicked to recent/time list and there it was, sitting right on top...spit a big ol wad of chaw on it.  8)

thank you sir!   :chef:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 04:07:23 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 04:09:22 PM »
Awesome!  I knew you'd get it done.  Glad I could share what little I know with you.
Were you able to order/get your discs sent to to you yet?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »
Awesome!  I knew you'd get it done.  Glad I could share what little I know with you.
Were you able to order/get your discs sent to to you yet?
not yet, busy putting out other fires at home and work.
scroll is not working right...also,won`t let me remove internet explorer and add firefox it`s always something man!!   >:(