Author Topic: sourdough starter?  (Read 211 times)

Offline carl333

• I Love Pizza!
sourdough starter?
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »
Noob here, but not new to pizza making. My dough has been rather tasteless somewhat like a mixture of plain flour and water. I have read about sourdough cultures/starters and Ischia seems to be quite popular here.

Can someone briefly explain to me what the difference is between the Fl. packet yeasts that I use vs. a sourdough starter?  Why is it called sourdough and why would something called sour be used in a pizza crust?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: sourdough starter?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:35:11 PM »
Yeast packets are one of several forms of what is collectively known as commercial yeast or baker's yeast. They are strains that are specifically selected and cultivated to be as consistent, predictable, and foolproof as possible. These benefits come at the cost of flavor - though there are ways to coax a lot more flavor out of baker's yeast - particularly longer (multi-day) fermentation.

Sourdough is one of several names that represents a symbiotic pair of wild yeast and lactic acid bacteria. Sourdough may or may not produce a sour flavor in the final product. In most cases, it probably doesn't. Generally speaking, using a sourdough culture is more work and much less forgiving.

To learn about sourdough, you might want do do an internet search. You will find lots of information. Once you've done some basic research, I'm sure people will be more than happy to answer specific questions you might have.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:38:09 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: sourdough starter?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:39:18 PM »
Noob here, but not new to pizza making. My dough has been rather tasteless somewhat like a mixture of plain flour and water. I have read about sourdough cultures/starters and Ischia seems to be quite popular here.

Can someone briefly explain to me what the difference is between the Fl. packet yeasts that I use vs. a sourdough starter?  Why is it called sourdough and why would something called sour be used in a pizza crust?

As Craig said, using a sourdough starter can be much less forgiving.  But, most well done yeast based pizza doughs are far from tasteless.  Let us know how you make your pizza dough and I would bet someone(s) here will give you lots of help in making it tasty (e.g. multi-day fermentation).  In other words, using a sourdough starter may not be your best next step for a "fix."