Author Topic: Jonathan Goldsmith Interview on Slice  (Read 341 times)

Offline scott123

Jonathan Goldsmith Interview on Slice
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »
Lance Roberts, one of Slice's more talented contributors (and, these days, practically it's only contributor) did a great interview of Jonathan Goldsmith.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/spacca-napolis-jonathan-goldsmith-on-italian.html?ref=title

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Jonathan Goldsmith Interview on Slice
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:15:54 PM »
Scott, thanks for that link to a fantastic article! I wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't posted.

I remember driving 2+ hours when I lived in WI to try one of the 3 or 4 certified VPN places at that time . I've commented before what a great guy Jonathan is but it bears repeating. He really gets food, hospitality and community. Good for us he chose pizza.

I really like this quote from the article-
"Hopefully in ten years I'll still be doing what I'm doing today, only the dough will be better. Making a better pie, even more delicate. For me, it's all about the dough. I also want to be a better boss, more loving, less excitable. And I want those who work for me to grow in all ways possible."
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
That was a great article. He seemed like a really great guy in the article. However when I met Jonathan Goldsmith he wasn't very nice at all. I had already eaten at 5 other pizza places in the last 2 days but made the trek out of the way to go to his place. When I talked to him it was as if I was putting him out. The pizza was very good, but not great. Definitely not my favorite Neapolitan place, and I did try the pizza before talking to him, so that didn't taint my experience.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
That was a great article. He seemed like a really great guy in the article. However when I met Jonathan Goldsmith he wasn't very nice at all. I had already eaten at 5 other pizza places in the last 2 days but made the trek out of the way to go to his place. When I talked to him it was as if I was putting him out. The pizza was very good, but not great. Definitely not my favorite Neapolitan place, and I did try the pizza before talking to him, so that didn't taint my experience.
i enjoyed the article untill they got to the part where he wanted an artifact about how his pizza made some guy cry.....what a poser imo.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:29:38 PM »
i did no see the article but Jonathan  like Ron of il pizzaiolao  are pioneers and did neapolitan way before it became mainstream. i Ate at il piizzaiolo  Tuesday which was the second time in a month and it was spectacular . my wife challenged me on the taste of their pizza vs. mine.