Author Topic: Blackstone Oven Preheat advice  (Read 586 times)

Offline joeminghia

• Ciao belli
Blackstone Oven Preheat advice
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:39:43 AM »
Hey all,

I recently picked up a Blackstone Oven and am EXTREMELY impressed with it so far. I have a few questions regarding the pre-heat and temperature ranges that I hope you guys can help clear up.

Firstly, how long and at what knob setting does everyone pre-heat their oven? I generally go for 40-45 minutes on a knotch above the lowest setting, it gets to about 500 degrees and then I blast it on high when I'm cooking. I am getting 2 minute cook times and pretty happy with the results so far, but feel as though perhaps I'm preheating too long and at too low?

Secondly, I am kind of launching blindly at the moment with no infrared thermometer. When I do attain one, what are the ideal temperatures I should be looking for for Neapolitan pizza?

Thanks!

Attached is a photo of my latest Margherita. Still working on getting that perfect round shape lol!

Joe
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:42:10 AM by joeminghia »

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Blackstone Oven Preheat advice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:56:29 AM »
try heating at full power and then cook that way. I only turn down when i am taking pizza back inside and cutting and eating. I turn on full just before i start to make pizza.

Thx C.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:26:30 AM »
Hey all,

I recently picked up a Blackstone Oven and am EXTREMELY impressed with it so far. I have a few questions regarding the pre-heat and temperature ranges that I hope you guys can help clear up.

Firstly, how long and at what knob setting does everyone pre-heat their oven? I generally go for 40-45 minutes on a knotch above the lowest setting, it gets to about 500 degrees and then I blast it on high when I'm cooking. I am getting 2 minute cook times and pretty happy with the results so far, but feel as though perhaps I'm preheating too long and at too low?

Secondly, I am kind of launching blindly at the moment with no infrared thermometer. When I do attain one, what are the ideal temperatures I should be looking for for Neapolitan pizza?

Thanks!

Attached is a photo of my latest Margherita. Still working on getting that perfect round shape lol!

Joe
Nice pie Joe!  Regarding pre-heat, I try to use whatever process that makes a pie that looks like the one in your picture :-D

More to the point, there is no standard process.  Some owners have 5psi regulators, others have 10.  Some use a chauflector, others use a cheese grater (yes, that's a poke), others go stock.  Wind and weather make a difference.

Repeatable should be the goal, IMO.  Look at the result of the last bake, identify the improvements and change the bake to get what you want.

A few tips that have been discussed elsewhere.  If you warm up with full flame, check the stone temp with an IR gun with flame on and off - notice the difference.  It may benefit your bake to know that the IR gun measures an elliptical surface spot where the size of the ellipse grows with the distance from the surface being measured.  (Check out spot ratio)  Surface temperatures may/may not represent the stones effective baking temperature (and probably won't on a quick warmup).

Dave
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:28:59 AM by Tampa »

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:44:22 PM »
45 minutes seem super long to me. I have never gone close to that long. I did like 10 min, just under full blast until the stone got to my desired temperature. Then I would launch the pizza and turn it all the way up getting 70 secondish bakes.

Offline moose13

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:40:31 PM »
I generally get most of my ingredients out, start the bs on full heat.
In the time it takes to drink half a cold one, stretch the skin and top it.
The stove is ready. Not sure why you would go low and slow on the heat up.

Offline joeminghia

• Ciao belli
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess my gut instinct was right and I was killing way too much time. I'm still used to making pizza with baking stones, so I guess I stuck with the 45-60min preheats I'm used to lol.

I went ahead and ordered an infrared thermometer, should be here shortly. When I do get one, what do you reckon my stone's temperature should be at before I start launching?

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 12:17:43 AM »
The thermometer will help a bunch.  I pre-heat on medium-high for about 15 mins. and then launch at 750 degrees.
It's evolution, baby

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »
let that sucker rip for about 10min or so and then get on with the party dude....that` what you bought it for man!!   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline flyhigh123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 02:36:28 AM »
Blast on high until stone reads about 800, then I drop the flame to medium. Once I launch I blast it again and watch the cornice. Practice and you will find the right timing.

Offline flyhigh123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 02:39:34 AM »
Here is one I made today on the bs based on my above post.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »
Here is one I made today on the bs based on my above post.

Looks.... :drool:

Nice work.. ;D

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »
Looks like you had good results.

pizzapan