Author Topic: Poolish questions  (Read 209 times)

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Poolish questions
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
I've been using beer to make my poolish the night befor and it sits about 12 to 14 hours prior to the bulk mix.  So in reference to the picture below of yesterday's batch, is this what a properly developed poolish should like like? Is it over or under developed? I use a tiny bit of IDY when the poolish is mixed. TScar.... made a comment that the yeast would die when mixed with beer so I may try a batch using just beer and flour with no yeast. Would I get this kind of development without yeast? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:54:19 AM by CaptBob »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Poolish questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »
I've been using beer to make my poolish the night befor and it sits about 12 to 14 hours prior to the bulk mix.  So in reference to the picture below of yesterday's batch, is this what a properly developed poolish should like like? Is it over or under developed? I use a tiny bit of IDY when the poolish is mixed. TScar.... made a comment that the yeast would die when mixed with beer so I may try a batch using just beer and flour with no yeast. Would I get this kind of development without yeast? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob

It looks about right. How long does it take to double in volume?

It may or may not develop like that without any yeast coming from the beer. You might try making another new batch with beer and no yeast and a control batch made the same way but with water instead of the beer. If the beer batch shows different activity than the water batch control, it would be reasonable to conclude that the activity is coming from the beer.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Re: Poolish questions
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »
Thank you Craig. Really appreciate your input......
I'm not sure how long it takes to double as I make it about 9 or 10 at night and go to bed not long after. I'll do some test batches during the day to see how it acts.

Thanks again!

Bob
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:33:56 PM by CaptBob »

pizzapan